A Dear Friend is Dying

Back in 2000 when I got my first computer, AOL had message boards dedicated to just about everything, including various dog breeds. Papillons had their own board, and I became friendly with many of the regulars. When AOL began shutting the boards down, we organized a mailing loop, now known as the Pap Loop. All these years later, the Pap Loop is still together. Some members have dropped off, others have been added, but we still keep touch, trading stories about our dogs, our lives.

One of the sweetest members, one of the sweetest women I have ever had the pleasure to know, is Faith. Faith has a quick sense of humor and a kind, supportive word for anyone, and the biggest heart in the world. She loves all animals and is singularly devoted to her little Papillon, Henry.

Several years ago, Faith was diagnosed with cancer. She did not surrender to it, but fought with everything she had. The cancer retreated into remission, and Faith was once again healthy and active. She and Henry loved life.

Faith had not posted on the loop for a couple weeks, but we all get busy. Then last week, another Looper, Dianne, who actually lives near Faith, updated us with bad news. Very bad news. The cancer has returned with a vengance and Faith is back in the hospital. Henry is staying with Auntie Dianne. Every update Dianne sent became a little more dire. Pneumonia set in. Faith was placed in ICU. Yesteday Dianne said Faith was asking for pictures of the Looper dogs to be sent to her. When I got off work last night, I filled her inbox with pictures of my babies and a short note telling her what she means to me.

Today Dianne wrote and said Faith’s doctors say she won’t live through the weekend.

I am going to miss her terribly.

So is Henry.
Godspeed sweet Faith. You leave behind a legacy of love. Please give my babies a hug and a kiss for me when you cross; I know they will be there to meet you.

The loss of a friend is a deep sadness. Sending supporting thoughts your way.

Thank you. Considering I have never actually met her, this is hitting me very hard. I don’t have many people I consider Friends, and Faith is on that short list. The world without Faith is going to be a little bit darker a place.

Aww, Pap, I’m so sorry :frowning: hugs

I’m so sorry Papsett. I think I know a little bit how you feel. I belong to a group on Facebook comprised of the old college community. We talk about music from “back in the day,” the issues we protested against, (yeah, we’re that old,) old friends and old apartments where one person can say Hey, when I had it there was a secret closet…" and the next poster says Yeah, we found it and put a bed in it!
Stuff like that.
A couple weeks ago one of the founders of the group became ill and went into the hospital. A few days later he was moved to a hospice facility. Night before last, he died.
The lights must have dimmed on The Strip.

I’m truly sorry. I hope your good memories will help.

Again, thank you. And Becky, I am sorry for your loss, too. Friendship, even when it’s over the internet, is so very precious.

I’m so very sorry.

You know where we are when you need to bend an ear. I don’t have a Pap, but my dachshund Nathan sends his sympathy.

She’s so young :frowning:

She’s only 42. Still no word from Dianne, but I know it is coming. Just waiting. :frowning:

Baker, the breed doesn’t matter at all. We dog owners all embrace one another. Thank you all.

I’m so sorry. I’ll be thinking of you and your beautiful friend.

And the news comes. I just got this from Dianne:

Faith left us this morning. I have been told by her aunt that she went peacefully this morning surrounded by her family. I will miss her terribly. I met her through the dogs when I first moved back to Richmond and she was always here to welcome a new foster into my home (she always had to be the first over to see the newbies). She would come to my house when I was at work and let the dogs out if she had time and it was a good day to play with the Paps. She has taken me to the hospital when I needed her help. She, her sister Leigh and I went to the Maryland Pap Nationals together. I will miss her. Henry will be going to Raleigh, NC to live with Faith’s father. Henry seemed more lost this time while here but I just dropped him at Faith’s home with her family and he seemed better but I know he will be looking for her.

Good-bye Faith, you touched many lives and will be sorely missed.

I’m so sorry for your loss, PapSett. A friend is hard to find and harder to lose.

StG

:frowning:

I’m sorry, PapSett. :frowning:

I’m so sorry PapSett.

I’m very sorry for your loss, PapSett.

Thank you, one and all.

And to make it just a little more bittersweet, Dianne just posted to the loop this morning ther her almost 18 year old Papillon Dixie passed this morning, less than 24 hours later. She said that Dixie and Faith had always had a special bond. I guess Faith needed her.

This sounds similar to the plot of the movie “Charing Cross Road” where New Yorker Anne Bancroft carries on a 20-year correspondence with the English bookseller Anthony Hopkins. She’s about to visit him in England when she receives word that he’s died. I don’t remember what else happened, but I thought that she could treasure the relationship that she did have.

Guess what, I just realized that Henry is her dog, not her husband. :smack:

I know it sounds trite, but I hope that you aren’t too depressed. Faith sounds like a remarkable woman and you were lucky to have known her, in whatever capacity.

42 is way too young.

I know this is something Faith would be concerned about – what’s going to happen to Henry? As hard as it is to lose dogs, it must be harder on them to lose their people. Is someone taking care of him?