Sod - Does it matter if I rototill the dirt a few days before?

Time to repair the damage from last summers drought. My Sod won’t be available until Thurs or Fri (waiting for the truck).

I’m off Monday and wanted to rototill and add my peat moss & compost. Then lay the sod when the truck finally shows up in a few days.

Is there any reason I’d have to rototill and sod the same day? The dirt might dry out & compact a little but will it matter?

There is no reason that the tilling and sodding have to be done on the same day, or even a few days apart. (Just don’t rototill after laying the sod.)

Tilling breaks up the soil to allow the grass roots to extend, but I have often seen sod laid successfully on hard packed soil as long as it gets sufficient water afterward. Grass roots, like many roots, are pretty hardy and quite capable of burrowing into any soil with enough nutrients.

I guess the biggest concern would be really hard thunderstorms after its tilled. Our rain chance this week is only 20% and hopefully it would be any gully washers.

I’ll be glad when my sod truck gets here. I was amazed that my loss from last summers drought was about 50 sq yards of grass. About a 1/3 of my front yard. Usually grass just turns color and goes dormant in hot dry weather. Last summers drought killed these patches of grass deader than dead.