Wrigley to Union Station

My daughters and I are going to an afternoon Cubs game at Wrigley on Sunday. Can anyone tell me how long it will take us to get from Wrigley back to Union Station at around 5pm. We are planning on using public transit, but this will be the first time for us to use public transportation in Chicago.

The CTA’s website has a trip planner. Expect the L to be crowded as hell, so using it will be assuming that you can fit onto the first train with half the other people who were at Wrigley Field and in the bars in the area…

Are there other transportation choices that can be reliable after a ballgame?

Just a thought, I don’t know how many of you will be traveling, or how old your daughters are, but a cab might be a decent option. The fare from Wrigley to downtown won’t be crazy ($20-25 would be my guess, maybe a touch less) and it might not cost a lot more than paying for everyone to take the train ($2.25 each).

Don’t underestimate how crowded the El trains and buses will be after the game. Plus, to get close to Union, you’ll have to change trains from Red to Brown and that can add some time while you wait for the new train.

It would help if you could tell us where you are coming from.
Or at least which Metra line you will be taking.
If you are coming in on the Milwaukee District North Line, you don’t have to go all the way downtown to Union Station, for example.

I wouldn’t take Red Line to Brown Line to get to Union Station.
I would take Red Line to Jackson. At Jackson, there is a stairway in the middle of the platform going down (not up). Go down the stairs and just follow the tunnel to the Blue Line. Take a train that says “Forest Park” (NOT “O’Hare”) two stops to Clinton. Walk two blocks north on Clinton (Clinton is a one-way street, you’ll be going the opposite way of the traffic) to Union Station.

Cabs aren’t going to be any better, but for the fact that the CTA is doing work on the Brown Line in the Loop on weekends this summer.

The CTA recommends you transfer, but the added walk from Red Line stops in the Loop to Union Station is not terribly much, maybe about quarter-mile or so. You can walk due west from Jackson and State (the Red Line stop) to Union Station at Jackson and Canal. I might particularly recommend this in light of the aforementioned Brown Line weekend construction work.

Red Line trains run about every eight minutes and Brown Line trains run every ten minutes, so I’d add twenty minutes to account for missing/not being able to board the first train, especially if you are going to transfer. The trip itself is about on the Red Line is twenty minutes. Then walking to Union Station, which might be another ten to twenty minutes.

So overall, for a straight shot on the Red Line, fifty minutes; if transferring to the Brown Line, about an hour.

(The CTA’s other suggestions—Red Line to Blue Line at Monroe and Red Line to Pink Line at Jackson are just re-re.)

It might also be worth your while to walk 4 blocks north after the game and catch the train at the Sheridan stop instead of Addison. The station will be less of a zoo, and there’s a chance (no guarantee, but a chance) that you’ll actually get to sit down.

Sorry for the double-post, but I just thought of another tip: There’s a huge mad rush to the train as soon as the game is over, and it can be quite intimidating, especially for a first-time rider. If you’re not in a particular hurry, take a walk and kill a little time while the crowds thin out.
There looks to be some retail along Clark to the south, and a few coffee shops and such. I don’t know how old your daughters are, but I assume the bar scene is off the table (probably just as well).

If you can find something you want to do for an hour or so within walking distance of Wrigley, the transit experience will be much less overwhelming.

At least, since it’s a Sunday game, you won’t be also fighting rush-hour riders on the L. Weekday day games at Wrigley make a hash out of the evening rush on the L.

Also, a note that it’s a 7-block walk from the Jackson stop on the Red Line to Union Station. Not a long walk for an adult, but I don’t know how old your daughters are (or how wiped out they’ll be after the ballgame).

I concur with Alley Dweller – transferring to the Blue Line at Jackson, then getting off at Clinton, would probably be preferable to transferring to the Brown Line.

I want to say thanks for all of the really good posts in reply to my questions. I am still a little concerned about taking the train to Union Station. But all of the helpful information makes it seem a lot less scary. (or intimidating). Anyway, thanks again.

Just out of curiosity, IAgirl, how’d it go? You got to see an exciting game, anyway; I hope you stuck it out to the end!