Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
What responsibility does an obstetric worker have...

...to keep parents from giving their children idiotic names? Case in point: Last night a 12-year-old boy named Nazia Banks was murdered on the South Side of Chicago. No thought was given by his parents of his being mentioned on the news, whether as a victim of a shooting or as a recipient of a Nobel Prize, and whoever filled out his birth certificate did not stop and ask, "You want to name him 'Nausea?'" *

Does that seem right to you? Or should nurses just make sure they have the spelling correct, allowing the child to be cast defenseless into a lifetime of people making fun of his name, even after his murder? And do none of these people know that Nazia is a girl name?


* - "Nazia" and "nausea" are pronounced much the same way in Chicago.
  #2  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Farmer Jane Farmer Jane is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,785
Hah! There was a student last year named Champane.

We also get lots of things like:

Isiah
Issiah

and other weird variants of otherwise common names. Maybe the parents can't spell.

The nurse wouldn't let me leave before I gave my son a middle name. I didn't WANT him to have a middle name, but she wouldn't let me go. So he got stuck with a middle name I don't like. It's costing me $300 in court costs alone to finally get around and change it.
  #3  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
She probably though the first name you chose was so stupid that he might want a fallback name.

Had a friend named Latrina. Basically Latrine with a feminine suffix. At least they got that part right.
  #4  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 PM
PandaBear77 PandaBear77 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Anyone But Obama Country
Posts: 2,350
I have a cousin who is a NICU nurse. She says once she saw a doctor flatly tell a patient "you can't name your baby that, it's illegal."

The patient was (fortunately) stupid enough to buy it -- I don't remember what the intended name was but it was something awful.

This was in TN, FWIW.
  #5  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Ambivalid's Avatar
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In my head
Posts: 13,284
OMG, living in Flint so long, I've heard SO many ridiculous, atrocious concoctions that passed for first names... Concokshawanna...
  #6  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM
brickbacon brickbacon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
...to keep parents from giving their children idiotic names? Case in point: Last night a 12-year-old boy named Nazia Banks was murdered on the South Side of Chicago. No thought was given by his parents of his being mentioned on the news, whether as a victim of a shooting or as a recipient of a Nobel Prize, and whoever filled out his birth certificate did not stop and ask, "You want to name him 'Nausea?'" *

Does that seem right to you? Or should nurses just make sure they have the spelling correct, allowing the child to be cast defenseless into a lifetime of people making fun of his name, even after his murder? And do none of these people know that Nazia is a girl name?


* - "Nazia" and "nausea" are pronounced much the same way in Chicago.
Nazia apparently means pride in Arabic. Just because people in Chicago think it is weird is irrelevant. Do you really think nurses and doctors should be able to tell parents what they can't name their kids? Would you be okay if Dr. Nazia Jones tells some couple they can't name their kid Harper or Sophia?

Lastly, what kind of person reads an article about an innocent kid being gunned down for no reason while playing outside, and thinks the origin of his name is the important takeaway from the article in question?
  #7  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 78,508
I recall a UL which attributes many popular African-American names to the suggestions of mischievous white obstetricians or nurses in public hospitals. (One name in the story was "Urethra" . . . can't expect AAs to spell it right, can we, Ms. Franklin? )

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 05-20-2012 at 06:11 PM.
  #8  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,651
I would rather the doctors and nurses focus on caring for their patients instead of making sure dropzone's feelings regarding nomenclature aren't offended.
  #9  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbacon View Post
Nazia apparently means pride in Arabic. Just because people in Chicago think it is weird is irrelevant.
That's nice, except it sounds like "pukeish" in English.
Quote:
Do you really think nurses and doctors should be able to tell parents what they can't name their kids?
Yep. And with a complete explanation why and maybe give them time to come up with something better. It's the kid's feelings I'm thinking of, not the parents'.
Quote:
Would you be okay if Dr. Nazia Jones tells some couple they can't name their kid Harper or Sophia?
Yes, if they live someplace where Harper or Sophia are homophones with something that would get the kid laughed at in school. Kids have enough trouble. No point in making it worse. And at the very least Dr Jones should say, "Nazia is a girl name."
Quote:
Lastly, what kind of person reads an article about an innocent kid being gunned down for no reason while playing outside, and thinks the origin of his name is the important takeaway from the article in question?
Actually, I heard it on the radio, coming in on the very end of the story. It shocked me awake because I consider some names to be akin to child abuse.
  #10  
Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
brickbacon brickbacon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
That's nice, except it sounds like "pukeish" in English.
To you, someone who is apparently ignorant about Arabic, incurious enough to google the name in order to educate your self, yet righteously indignant enough to post ethnocentric drivel about how the nannystate should prevent people from exercising their rights as a parent. It only sounds "pukeish" to you because you are not used to it, and apparently have pretty narrow horizons.

Regardless, it doesn't matter what you think. It's their kid. It's not as if they named him "Hitler Pedophile Jones". It's a perfectly legitimate name with a long history you just happen to not be aware of. Especially since if we adopted your logic, nobody could name their kid Richard, Ralph, or John because they are (respectively) nicknames for a penis, throwing up, and a person who visits prostitutes. Would you be for that? Of course not, because this rant is about you, not detrimental naming conventions. How do I know that? Because you could have picked a number of legitimate, arguable examples like, "Adolf Hitler" and "Aryan Nation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Yep. And with a complete explanation why and maybe give them time to come up with something better.
Good thing you have absolutely no power to enact such misguided policies. While these nurses and doctors are doing this, who should be doing the life saving? Should we hire new people to brainstorm names with "misguided" parents who happen to think Arabic names are legitimate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
It's the kid's feelings I'm thinking of, not the parents'.
Do you have any reason to think most people would react as poorly as you are to to hearing the name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Yes, if they live someplace where Harper or Sophia are homophones with something that would get the kid laughed at in school.
Weak sauce. I sincerely doubt the name Nazia would represent any real stumbling block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Kids have enough trouble. No point in making it worse. And at the very least Dr Jones should say, "Nazia is a girl name."
I agree. That's why we shouldn't let them have gay parents, be minorities, speak other languages, eat "pukeish" foods, be handicapped, or dress differently, right? I mean, why make it harder on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Actually, I heard it on the radio, coming in on the very end of the story. It shocked me awake because I consider some names to be akin to child abuse.
Then you have a weird set of priorities. If you hear about an unmitigated tragedy, and you are moved enough to post about it on a message board, yet your focus is, "why can parents name their kids weird names", when the name is not, in fact, weird or unusual, or relevant at all, I think you have some mixed up priorities to say the least. Far more detrimental to young Nazia, I would think, was living in a dangerous neighborhood where kids get shoot for no reason; not his name.

But I digress, you are right. We should outlaw being different. It should literally be our top priority.
  #11  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
BigAppleBucky's Avatar
BigAppleBucky BigAppleBucky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,325
I cannot understand the popularity of Madison as a girl's name. To me it's a president's family name, an important avenue in Manhattan or the single most common name for a city in the United States.

Freakonomics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaU9vmL8i3Y


When looking at a list of names many years ago when expecting our first child, my wife had a comment about the name Bathhilda that broke me up at the time and that she and I refer to whenever we come across a weird name.
"We hate this baby, let's name her Bathhilda".
  #12  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 78,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
I recall a UL which attributes many popular African-American names to the suggestions of mischievous white obstetricians or nurses in public hospitals. (One name in the story was "Urethra" . . . can't expect AAs to spell it right, can we, Ms. Franklin? )
Couldn't find that exactly on Snopes, but here's several other versions.
  #13  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Cazzle's Avatar
Cazzle Cazzle is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 7,708
Do the nurses fill in the birth registration paperwork for you? That seems kind of intrusive. We were issued the official forms in the hospital and told we had 60(?) days to mail them in or we could be fined. Sounds like a vastly preferable system to one where you can apparently be held hostage until you give your child a set of names the nurse approves of.
  #14  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
...to keep parents from giving their children idiotic names? Case in point: Last night a 12-year-old boy named Nazia Banks was murdered on the South Side of Chicago. No thought was given by his parents of his being mentioned on the news, whether as a victim of a shooting or as a recipient of a Nobel Prize, and whoever filled out his birth certificate did not stop and ask, "You want to name him 'Nausea?'" *
...is a joke thread? A parody? Was the first thought that came to mind when reading that article was not "what a horrible, tragic incident" but "how dare a parent exercise their democratic right and name their child an extremely common name!"

The answer to your question is: no, naming your child Nazia is not child abuse, nor does a obstetric worker have any responsibility to keep parents from giving their children idiotic names principally because "idiotic" is subjective. Your OP is offensive to not only the family in the OP but also to people with different cultural backgrounds to the OP. I still can't believe you actually wrote what you wrote.
  #15  
Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Blackberry Blackberry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliahna View Post
Do the nurses fill in the birth registration paperwork for you? That seems kind of intrusive. We were issued the official forms in the hospital and told we had 60(?) days to mail them in or we could be fined. Sounds like a vastly preferable system to one where you can apparently be held hostage until you give your child a set of names the nurse approves of.
No, they don't in the U.S. either. Most parents fill out the form in the hospital and turn it in to a hospital worker. You can leave the hospital without naming your baby and then you'd be responsible for mailing the form in yourself, but I have heard that they sometimes pressure parents to do it before leaving. The idea that the nurses should have any part in choosing a name is obviously bizarre.

Last edited by Blackberry; 05-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
  #16  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM
My Freakin' Back Is Killing Me My Freakin' Back Is Killing Me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
..

* - "Nazia" and "nausea" are pronounced much the same way in Chicago.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this pronunciation? I have never heard this name but I wouldn't trust the news reporters to pronounce it correctly either. But, I could very easily see this name being pronounced something like Nahz-eye-a, which, if I heard it pronounced, wouldn't necessarily remind me of vomitting. I'm from Chicago too, if it matters.

Last edited by My Freakin' Back Is Killing Me; 05-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.
  #17  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 4,563
...the saddest thing about this thread is that we are now on the front page of google searches for the name in the OP. Way to go in internet infamy Dropzone!
  #18  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbacon View Post
To you, someone who is apparently ignorant about Arabic, incurious enough to google the name in order to educate your self...
I did. That's how I learned it was a girl name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Freakin' Back Is Killing Me View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this pronunciation? I have never heard this name but I wouldn't trust the news reporters to pronounce it correctly either. But, I could very easily see this name being pronounced something like Nahz-eye-a, which, if I heard it pronounced, wouldn't necessarily remind me of vomitting. I'm from Chicago too, if it matters.
Southsiders, like my wife, pronounce them similarly: NAH-zee-ah. OTOH, the radio anchorman on WBBM pronounced it NAW-zee-ah, which set me off because any idiot, including me, would pronounce it nah-ZEE-ah and I might not have noticed.

When my wife had our kids hospital staffers filled out the forms.
  #19  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...the saddest thing about this thread is that we are now on the front page of google searches for the name in the OP. Way to go in internet infamy Dropzone!
I do my part, but I can't do it all alone, no matter how much it looks like I do. Some of you should also post while cranky.
  #20  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
[aside] Have a friend who named her son Lincoln. Her mother and I had to wait until she was out of the room before we could poke his iddle tummy and sing, "Lincoln, Lincoln, Bo-Binken, Banana-fanna-fo-finken...."

Glad she didn't name him Chuck. [/aside]
  #21  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I did. That's how I learned it was a girl name. Southsiders, like my wife, pronounce them similarly: NAH-zee-ah. OTOH, the radio anchorman on WBBM pronounced it NAW-zee-ah, which set me off because any idiot, including me, would pronounce it nah-ZEE-ah and I might not have noticed.

When my wife had our kids hospital staffers filled out the forms.
...out of interest: what are your childrens names dropzone?
  #22  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
Mary, Michelle, and Lisa. Mary after my grandmother, Michelle is my "junior," and Lisa was named after a squirrel (never let a four-year-old name your children or your squirrels), but we didn't tell any of her classmates.
  #23  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 40,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
That's nice, except it sounds like "pukeish" in English.
I wouldn't pronounce it "nausea" - I'd pronounce is with the emphasis on the -zia part, which makes it quite distinct. I didn't get the joke until you explained it, in fact. Just because people in Chicago have a weird accent doesn't mean it's a bad name. Maybe the parents were hoping he'd leave.
  #24  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
even sven even sven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: DC
Posts: 19,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I did. That's how I learned it was a girl name. Southsiders, like my wife, pronounce them similarly: NAH-zee-ah. OTOH, the radio anchorman on WBBM pronounced it NAW-zee-ah, which set me off because any idiot, including me, would pronounce it nah-ZEE-ah and I might not have noticed.

When my wife had our kids hospital staffers filled out the forms.
And in northern Nigeria, "Zachary" is the local word for penis. So what?
  #25  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 PM
The Tao's Revenge The Tao's Revenge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Quote:
Nausea
Maybe it's not the kid's parent's fault you pronounce things weird. Clint and clit sound way more alike than that pair. You calling Clint Eastwood a pussy?

Edit: EastWOOD. The guy's name is practically a porno.

Last edited by The Tao's Revenge; 05-20-2012 at 11:51 PM.
  #26  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 PM
My Freakin' Back Is Killing Me My Freakin' Back Is Killing Me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I wouldn't pronounce it "nausea" - I'd pronounce is with the emphasis on the -zia part, which makes it quite distinct. I didn't get the joke until you explained it, in fact. Just because people in Chicago have a weird accent doesn't mean it's a bad name. Maybe the parents were hoping he'd leave.
As I said above, I am from Chicago (born and raised) and I have a Chicago accent ( ) and I would not pronounce the words the same. If I had not heard dropzone mention the word nausea in relation to this name, I wouldn't have thought of it at all. Like I said, I would have guessed the name was pronounced with a long i (eye) sound with an emphasis on the last syllable.

But responding to the OP, I don't think the hospital staff has or should have any responsibility in picking names for children born where they work. What if their taste in names is even worse than the new parents?
  #27  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 PM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 78,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tao's Revenge View Post
Maybe it's not the kid's parent's fault you pronounce things weird. Clint and clit sound way more alike than that pair. You calling Clint Eastwood a pussy?

Edit: EastWOOD. The guy's name is practically a porno.
Not to compare with Dick Lugar!
  #28  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 AM
grude grude is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,596
To be fair there was an article a while back about parents who had named their children Aryan Pride and Hitler as first names, one would hope someone in official capacity at least tried to talk the parents out of using their children as trolling proxies. Just to move away from hating different names to pretty clear malicious intent on the parent's part.

And at least the only time I dealt with the issue in my life with my own son, no one from the hospital was involved in naming him at all(they did ask what his name was and it appears on documents etc) but as for the legal and official paperwork that was handled by us long after we left the hospital.
  #29  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Blackberry Blackberry is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
To be fair there was an article a while back about parents who had named their children Aryan Pride and Hitler as first names, one would hope someone in official capacity at least tried to talk the parents out of using their children as trolling proxies. Just to move away from hating different names to pretty clear malicious intent on the parent's part.
Why? Just so they could tell themselves that at least they tried? Obviously the parents knew exactly what they were doing and that almost everyone would disapprove. Plus these parents were looking for confrontation anyway (as evidenced by the cake fiasco that first brought them to public attention) so you'd just be giving them what they wanted.
  #30  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,581
As someone who used to deliver babies (which I assume makes me a former Obstetric worker), I kept my mouth shut about whatever mom was naming the kid, unless asked. Even then I kept my comments light and non-judgemental.

I opted to battle about demonstrably important things, like getting the damn kids vaccinated.
  #31  
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 23,531
All I can say is that I'm glad I decided not to call my son "Nimrod" - a perfectly common Israeli name, but one I doubt the OP would have approved of
  #32  
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
al27052 al27052 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,331
I think it's pretty awful to name your children something that will make them a target of bullying. I was best friends with a boy whose last name was Fagg. That wasn't easy for him. He actually uses his middle name as his last name now. Granted, that's not his parents' fault, but he got teased mercilessly.

I also know a girl who was adopted by her stepfather. Her last name went from being Decker to Uslabar ("You-slobber"). For a 12-year-old that was tough. She got mocked a lot.

There's a famous piano competition named after its founder, Ima Hogg. That's an AWFUL thing to name a kid. Life's hard enough with the last name Hogg. Why throw Ima on the beginning of that? What did the kid do that was so horrible?

A lot of last names are bad enough themselves. Why create extra misery with easily mock-able FIRST names too?

So, while I disagree with the OP in Nazia being an embarrassing name (most kids have no idea what the word 'nausea' means), I do think parents have a responsibility to try to avert potential future bullying, including choosing names that are hard to mock.

Of course, kids are creative, and can find all kinds of difficult-to-prepare-for ways to mock a name. Still, it's pretty jacked-up to name your kid Shithead (pronounced "Sha-THEED"), as an example.
  #33  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Anaamika Anaamika is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
The fact is kids will make fun of whatever you have. I got mocked incessantly for my name, and only because it's ethnic and different. When I was a kid I would have liked a name like Michelle but it was not to be. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.
  #34  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
al27052 al27052 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
The fact is kids will make fun of whatever you have.
Well they're pretty doggone creative, I'll admit that.

I remember working hard at age 22 to think of a name for my soon-to-be-born daughter that was COMPLETELY unmockable. It was a real concern during the naming process. Call me crazy, that's just how I am.

You can't completely control it, though. Imagine being a kid named "Jason Voorhees" when the first Friday the 13th movie came out.
  #35  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Patty O'Furniture Patty O'Furniture is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Bangkok/52/Male
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbacon View Post
Nazia apparently means pride in Arabic. Just because people in Chicago think it is weird is irrelevant.
And Fucktong means pumpkin in Thai. I'd have no issues with anyone calling their daughter pumpkin, but would it be ok for a parent in Chicago to name their little girl Fucktong? I think that borders on child abuse.
__________________
Join Date: May 20, 1999
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 8,870
  #36  
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Dendarii Dame Dendarii Dame is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
The fact is kids will make fun of whatever you have. I got mocked incessantly for my name, and only because it's ethnic and different. When I was a kid I would have liked a name like Michelle but it was not to be. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.
My name was fairly common (there were three or four girls with it my year), but I was teased for it, too. If kids want to make your life miserable, they will.
  #37  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Folacin Folacin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
All I can say is that I'm glad I decided not to call my son "Nimrod" - a perfectly common Israeli name, but one I doubt the OP would have approved of
You could be Nimrod Hilliard IV.
  #38  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 27,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
My name was fairly common (there were three or four girls with it my year), but I was teased for it, too. If kids want to make your life miserable, they will.
It really doesn't matter what you name your kid, they'll find a way to make fun of it. See the Louis CK clip for a quick explanation

  #39  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
heathen earthling heathen earthling is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickbacon View Post
It's not as if they named him "Hitler Pedophile Jones".
You can't spell "Nazia" without "Nazi."

I seriously wonder if that would be a more likely cause for teasing than the "nausea" thing.
  #40  
Old 05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
All I can say is that I'm glad I decided not to call my son "Nimrod" - a perfectly common Israeli name, but one I doubt the OP would have approved of
Nah, that's only one that parents and grandparents who watched Bugs Bunny cartoons would laugh at. Quietly. And without feeling a need to explain to their kids.

"What a nimrod! What a maroon!"

(shrugging) Popular culture is what it is.
  #41  
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I opted to battle about demonstrably important things, like getting the damn kids vaccinated.
Valid point. Um, not that it's the ONLY one in this thread.
  #42  
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
brickbacon brickbacon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
And Fucktong means pumpkin in Thai. I'd have no issues with anyone calling their daughter pumpkin, but would it be ok for a parent in Chicago to name their little girl Fucktong? I think that borders on child abuse.
Yes, it would if they are Thai and/or the name means something to them. I am not sure why it wouldn't be. And if you think that is child abuse, you have no idea what the term means.
  #43  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 PM
suranyi suranyi is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 7,725
An orthodox Jewish person I know in New York named one of his sons Shabi, short for Shabtai. In English it sounds just like "shabby", and one would think it would be the perfect name for teasing. But he goes to an entirely Jewish school where all the kids have names like his, so he doesn't get teased at all. So it's all in the context.
  #44  
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
And in northern Nigeria, "Zachary" is the local word for penis. So what?
I am so going to name my first male child Zachary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
And Fucktong means pumpkin in Thai. I'd have no issues with anyone calling their daughter pumpkin, but would it be ok for a parent in Chicago to name their little girl Fucktong? I think that borders on child abuse.
And now I have a name for my first female child.
  #45  
Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
dngnb8 dngnb8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
...to keep parents from giving their children idiotic names? Case in point: Last night a 12-year-old boy named Nazia Banks was murdered on the South Side of Chicago. No thought was given by his parents of his being mentioned on the news, whether as a victim of a shooting or as a recipient of a Nobel Prize, and whoever filled out his birth certificate did not stop and ask, "You want to name him 'Nausea?'" *

Does that seem right to you? Or should nurses just make sure they have the spelling correct, allowing the child to be cast defenseless into a lifetime of people making fun of his name, even after his murder? And do none of these people know that Nazia is a girl name?


* - "Nazia" and "nausea" are pronounced much the same way in Chicago.
I remember I had a client called Candice Cane.

Yes, she went by Candy.

I just figure mom and dad are smoking a blunt during the naming of their kids.
  #46  
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post
And in northern Nigeria, "Zachary" is the local word for penis. So what?
Well, then if I lived in northern Nigeria, I wouldn't name my son Zachary.
  #47  
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 40,112
There was a kid in my high chool named Fok-Yan. Yes, it was pronounced "Fuck-yan," or damned close to it.

Nobody really seemed to care. The sound just doesn't have the same effect in a different context.
  #48  
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM
even sven even sven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: DC
Posts: 19,401
I was given then most common first name of that year, which rhymes with nothing and has no unpleasant implications, and a last name that is a simple noun that most people find pretty, and once again has nothing unpleasant associated with it.

I got fun of for my name relentlessly in childhood. There is no way to choose a name that is foolproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Well, then if I lived in northern Nigeria, I wouldn't name my son Zachary.
Your kid might very well end up there anyway. Every few years, like clockwork, Peace Corps sends a Zachary or two to a Fulfulde-speaking area (or an Andy, which means boobies, or a Maya, which means looming death...) Generally, they use a nickname or adopt a local name. It's not a huge deal.

Again, there is no surefire way to choose a name that will never be a burden.
  #49  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
TheMightyAtlas TheMightyAtlas is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngnb8 View Post
I remember I had a client called Candice Cane.

Yes, she went by Candy.

I just figure mom and dad are smoking a blunt during the naming of their kids.
I knew a Candace Kane. She was a high school student at the time, worked at a store I managed. She would go ballistic if you called her Candy. I knew her mother as well. Complete idiot. I mean dimwitted in the extreme. Had absolutely no idea what the joke was in her daughter's name. Kid went to college, community college, but still for that neighborhood she was doing really well. I just googled Candace Kane and found 17 LinkedIn profiles. Including hers. Looks like she is doing okay professionally. I'm hoping most of the other 16 married into the name. Even so I would have kept my maiden name.
  #50  
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 PM
TheMightyAtlas TheMightyAtlas is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by even sven View Post

Your kid might very well end up there anyway. Every few years, like clockwork, Peace Corps sends a Zachary or two to a Fulfulde-speaking area (or an Andy, which means boobies, or a Maya, which means looming death...) Generally, they use a nickname or adopt a local name. It's not a huge deal.

Again, there is no surefire way to choose a name that will never be a burden.
Well there is a difference between naming your child something that has a tiny possibility of being embarrassing and giving a name that would almost certainly be embarrassing.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017