Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 AM
Wallet Wallet is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 335
What is this Plastic Wrap Called?

My googling skills are obviously bad, since I can't seem to find the answer to a simple question. If you go into any warehouse (or warehouse store), you'll see pallets stacked with merchandise, wrapped all around with some kind of Saran Wrap.

This isn't the wrap that shrinks with heat - it seems to be from a large roll, that wraps around and around the pallet, sticking to itself and securing the merchandise.

What is this called, and more importantly, can it be purchased by a consumer?
I've asked in stores, and all they can tell me is "shrink wrap", which isn't what I need.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 AM
running coach running coach is online now
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,120
When I worked delivery jobs, I always heard it called shrink wrap although it didn't. Did hear the term "pallet wrap".

Never saw a retail source.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 20,087
I'm not an industrial pallet-wrapper, but will these help?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Postariti Postariti is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 419
It looks like it's called stretch wrap or stretch film. Amazon has some, so you can see if that's what you had in mind.

I imagine office supply stores also have this.

Last edited by Postariti; 05-23-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 AM
crowmanyclouds crowmanyclouds is offline
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,328
U-Haul in 5", 10", 15" and 20" widths.

CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 05-23-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Batfish Batfish is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 407
Stretch film. Try W.W. Grainger.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
GaryM GaryM is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis, MO 50mi. West
Posts: 4,603
Local hardware guy calls it "flat tape". The one I have in hand is called Stretch Tape.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Dallas Jones Dallas Jones is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orygun forest
Posts: 4,547
It is called 'stretch wrap' in the industry, I used it for many years.

It is normally applied on a machine where you use a forklift to place a pallet on a turntable, tie a starting amount of wrap to the pallet, and then hit a button.

The pallet rotates as the arm holding the roll of stretch wrap moves up and down. There are tension adjustments to add either more or less stretch pull on the wrap, and speed adjustments to regulate the number of wraps.

There is also a height adjustment where the roll of wrap reaches a certain point and then reverses back down the pallet. You can change these settings to put a light wrap on boxes/bags that don't weigh very much, or put a nice tight, multi-layer wrap on heavy items so they will not shift in transport.

They are easy to use and with a little experience you can customize the wrap to package any palleted product.

Here is what a stretch wrap machine looks like. You put the pallet of product on the round part, it spins, machine wraps, pallets go into warehouse or onto a truck.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
industrialfish industrialfish is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 44
Visqueen Poliwrap
Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 AM
Wallet Wallet is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 335
Thanks to everyone for their help! I seriously would never have found it by myself.

Off to buy some stretch wrap,


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to:

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to:

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017