Stand-up paddleboarding, what's the appeal?

Stand-up paddleboards, or SUPs. I’ve seen these things around my city for a couple of years and there are several places giving lessons, but why do people like them?

I understand that they are sometimes good at the beach when the waves are too small for surfboards, but they seem to be as popular on freshwater as they are in the surf. They don’t seem to have the speed of flatwater canoes or sea kayaks, and they don’t have the maneuverability of smaller craft.

I’m sorry for sounding so critical. There are good reasons why people like them, and I know that I just haven’t heard them. I think that I would appreciate a little enlightenment here.

You got me on this. one . Though I am a lazy bastard and like to sit down when on the water. And then there was the time I was so tired I tried my best to paddle while laying down in my boat. About the only advantage I can see is that if you are standing up you can see things better.

Serious question: Do you enjoy canoeing and kayaking and other watercraft sports because of the speed or maneuverability?

I enjoy both of those, and I enjoy stand up paddleboarding, too. They all have their charms, and I don’t think I care how fast or maneuverable I am. I’m not really going anywhere; I’m just out on the water.

For SUP: I like that you can see down into the water. I like the balance it requires, and the peaceful feeling when I get into a comfortable state with the movement of the water. In most boats, I feel like you sort of cut or crash through waves, but on a board you float and react to them much more. I like that my butt doesn’t get wet. I like that the paddling motion is different (kayaking tends to give me a sore shoulder).

It sounded weird to me, too, before I tried it. But I have ended up really enjoying it. I went today and saw a dolphin dive into a school of fish, then chase one up and out of the water, catching it in midair!

ETA: Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I’m considering buying one. I tried them out last year, and they’re pretty cool.

Here’s what I like about them:

• I can carry it by myself (unlike my kayak).
  • If I go over, I just climb back on the the board. Getting back into a kayak that goes over is way more difficult.
  • I like the perspective of standing up above the water and looking down into it. You don’t get that in a canoe/kayak.
  • I like the slowness of it. It’s like taking a walk, only you’re on the water.
  • It’s a bit more comfortable than a kayak. After sitting in a kayak for a while, your legs and lower back can get sore. Your lower-body range of motion is pretty small and it gets old after a while.

So we’ll see. If money was no object I’d have one.

Slightly different perspective than canoeing and kayaking, slightly different work out, slightly different balance challenge. When you get good at it you can do it in your clothes on!

It’s just, yet another, fun thing to do on the water. Takes some practice, a little skill.

And it is slow, like a walk, which is what I enjoy too!

It does work the core in a unique way.

Yes, which may have been why I was missing the point. I’m just getting back into canoeing after a long break. I like that I still know my strokes and can still hit an eddy fairly well, but I have a way to go before I can reliably hit the right line every time and/or whip a boat into an eddy the size of a bathmat. I have a decent jack-of-all-trades boat, but I can see that my next boat will be more of a playboat and I might get something faster after that for flatwater.

The “walking on water” thing makes perfect sense! The perfect bow stroke/j-stroke can be a meditative thing for me. I can easily see how paddling a SUP could be a more meditative experience and how that could work!

Gondalier training