Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? WTF?

I can’t believe they’re casting this runt as Lee Child’s 6’5", 250 pound wrecking machine. Worse, this could turn into a series of films along the James Bond or Jason Bourne line. What’s next, Daniel Radcliffe as The Terminator?

DON"T get me started! Grrr, How many times in the books is he described as a big man, well over 6 1/2 feet? What are they going to do…film him on stilts?
Having said that, I hated the idea of Matt Damon as Jason Bourne but once they diverged from the book after the first 15 minutes, I enjoyed him. can"t imagine I"ll feel the same way about Tom Cruise as Jack, but you ne’er know.

I was shocked when I heard he was cast. Maybe they will film with the cameraman lying on the ground, or just cast really short people opposite him. They can film it in Legoland or something.

That said, I bet I go see it just to mock but secretly hoping they pull it off.

Or stand on a couch.

Forest Gump was a 6’6" hulk in the book. Perfect for Tom Hanks.

Movies aren’t books. I’ll paraphrase a memory that I think is a quote from James M. Cain. An interviewer asked how he felt about a movie ruining his book and he replied, “the book’s right there on the shelf; it hasn’t been touched at all.”

But it’s not like Jack’s size was an insignificant detail. He used to be a MP Major. It’s clearly stated that to control trained killers you had to be big and tough.

There is one person who doesn’t seem to care that Cruise is too short. The author.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/tom-cruise-jack-reacher-one-shot-rhunt.php

It’s a tricky one for the film producers. Is there a bankable movie star that is built anything like Reacher is described in the books?

Anyway, Reacher usually only beats up a couple of goons in each book, and relies on his intellect for most of the rest. Cruise can do badass when he wants, so it’ll probably work.

I’m intrigued to note that Werner Herzog has been cast to play the baddie…

Books are not films. Tom is just fine as a serviceable actor. There any number of ways that they can film him to be taller. They have been doing it since movie-making began.

And on a practical note, movies are a business. People invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a product, they want to guarantee a return. Tom Cruse puts asses in theater seats.

Thanks for belaboring the obvious. The film may be fine (as with the Bourne movies, which I really like), but much is made of Jack Reacher’s size in the books. He’s a very large and intimidating guy. Antagonists think twice about fucking with him. Cruise can act, but intimidating he ain’t. People who have actually read the books are understandably shocked at the choice of him for this role. I suspect they will substitute explosions and car chases, or fake martial arts, for how Reacher usually takes care of business.

What else is he going to say? Very few people are willing to go against the studios.

I remember once watching a movie titled “Killing floor” starring Marc Blucas (AKA the tall military boyfriend Buffy had in season 4). I thought: “A Jack Reacher movie? And that’s just perfect casting!”

Turned out it was some crappy straight to DVD flick about a literary agent haunted by a serial killer or something. Boy, was I disappointed.

I hope they don’t try to make him look taller. I haven’t read the books but it does sound like this Reacher guy is physically intimidating and that’s a big part of his character. Even if Cruise was made taller, he ain’t intimidating at all.

It’ll be better if they just drop the physical size aspect of his character.

I think Cruise bought the rights to the movies before the Reacher novels became as popular as they are so Child can’t really say bad about Cruise as Reacher. I dislike Cruise, but he is a capable actor. Nevertheless, Reacher us Ranger because of his size. It’s intrinsic to the character, just as so many here have said.

A truer-to-the book version could have been amazing. This might be a good movie, but it’s not a Reacher movie.

He could say anything. Or nothing. They already paid him for the rights. Plenty of authors have bad mouthed the adaptations of their works. No reason not to take him at his word. Unless you have information about him being frequently dishonest.

You mean compared to Summer Glau?

Vince Vaughn is 6’5".

Snap! :slight_smile:

Micheal Keaton. Batman. Yeah.

On-topic, there’s Ralf Moeller.