Old 09-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Whoa- there's a separate dodge key? Is that any different from double-tapping a movement key?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Whoa- there's a separate dodge key? Is that any different from double-tapping a movement key?
Yeah, it is 'V' by default. Also, if you are moving forward and hold 'V' and the space bar at the same time you can do a forward flip. There is a back flip as well. And I don't mean basic rolls.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 09-06-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Does pressing "V" by itself actually do anything, or does it have to be pressed in conjunction with a directional movement key? I seem to recall that it's the latter, but I've taken to just double-tapping the relevant WASD key, since my fingers are generally resting there anyway.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Does pressing "V" by itself actually do anything, or does it have to be pressed in conjunction with a directional movement key? I seem to recall that it's the latter, but I've taken to just double-tapping the relevant WASD key, since my fingers are generally resting there anyway.
The default action is backflip, if pressed in conjunction with a movement key you dodge in that direction. I have mapped my dodge key to a thumb-mouse key - works perfect.

Dont map your dodge to the space-bar - there are a lot of jumping-puzzles in the game - even in some personal story quests you are required to jump.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustardseed View Post
Dont map your dodge to the space-bar - there are a lot of jumping-puzzles in the game - even in some personal story quests you are required to jump.
I reversed the mapping, so V is now my jump/swim up key. If I have trouble with it when I get to jumping or swimming places, I'll just map it somewhere else. I like the space bar for dodge very much; it's a lot easier to hit in a crisis than a little key buried in the keyboard.

I also remapped the F key to T, which is more logical, more comfortable and results in far less talking to NPCs when I want to turn right. (I do wish they'd give us the option to split out the functions they assigned to F, but I can live with it.)
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Here's something I wish I had known before - keeping your weapons up to date is a must. I was lvl 39 and had a bunch of mid-20s weapons and when I upgraded them all to new ones cheaply from the trading post, my damage went up by around 50%. Now a whirlwind and a dual strike pretty much kills a mob.

Another thing that I wasn't sure of but which is logical is that when dual wielding, the attacks you use only look at the damage of the weapon that grants them - if I have a crappy sword and awesome axe, my autoattack does jack shit but my whirlwind will hit like a truck. So a horn that only gives us warriors buff abilities isn't that important to upgrade, but an offhand weapon is.

Still not sure if keeping armor updated is as important, and there's so many pieces of it it would be a hassle to buy new pieces for every slot every few levels.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogance Ex Machina View Post
Still not sure if keeping armor updated is as important, and there's so many pieces of it it would be a hassle to buy new pieces for every slot every few levels.
I think an armour and weapons check should be done every 5 levels. Not everything needs to be at the level you are, but the stuff you have should meet or exceed the stats on level armour and weapons.

Also remember, that in personal story line missions you don't always have to kill every single enemy. Sometimes just getting to the star on the mini map is enough.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Anyone doing any of the dungeons yet?

I did the level 30 on Story mode, and it was fun and a little bit challenging. Got a great hat as a reward at the end.

Tonight, spend a couple hours doing the level 30 dungeon on Adventure mode, and holy crap, is that hard! We're all between about levels 45-61, so we're downleveled to 35 and we thought we had decent gear. But man, we got through one semi-boss - the Cave Troll - after getting our butts kicked by the spiders at the beginning.

After that, the Lieutenant battered us until someone said "screw this, I'm losing all my money on repairs" and logged. I think the best we got him down to was about 25%. The key seems to be dodging his crazy pull attack, but it's REALLY hard to time it. 3 of us were on Skype and doing OK because we'd all start yelling when we saw him raise his arm and we did only OK, the other two weren't doing well at all.

This is crazy hard! Fun, too, though. Anyone else?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

That boss is the first boss in the first dungeon in the game. He is a bitch even for level 80 characters. You have to be behind a pillar or dodge 2 seconds after he lifts his arm or you will die.

Also, I came across an Asuran scout named Witt. Made me smile.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
That boss is the first boss in the first dungeon in the game. He is a bitch even for level 80 characters. You have to be behind a pillar or dodge 2 seconds after he lifts his arm or you will die.
We figured out the arm thing, but as far as pillars go, hiding behind them didn't seem to work. He pulled us right through them. I'm pretty sure we could shoot through them as well, so I'm thinking "bug."

That said, he's a major bitch. Can't wait to take him down!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, I finally got to buy the game. I don't really know what the hell's going on at any given time, but I've killed a number of things.

I'm a Norn Guardian, I think. I've no idea which of my spells I should use at any given time so I just spam them randomly and it seems to work out.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'm a Norn Guardian, I think. I've no idea which of my spells I should use at any given time so I just spam them randomly and it seems to work out.
It does take a while to figure out exactly what skill is best to use when, but half the fun is figuring that out. Remember to use as many different weapons to unlock their skills.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
It does take a while to figure out exactly what skill is best to use when, but half the fun is figuring that out. Remember to use as many different weapons to unlock their skills.
Again, no clue what I'm doing. How do I know what weapon is what type? How do I know the skill is "unlocked"?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Again, no clue what I'm doing. How do I know what weapon is what type? How do I know the skill is "unlocked"?
This is what pisses me off about the lack of a real paper manual with games. I can't really go to the wiki while I'm in the middle of a game, and the online "manual" is absolutely worthless. I've been navigating GW2 the same way I navigate life, through trial and error and (probably) pissing a lot of people off.

I am finally getting the hang of battle and dodging and not getting killed. Lately my greatest enemy is lag. I've had to quit the last 2 times I played because the lag was so bad.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Click on 'H' and the hero screen comes up. The first tab is equipment, where you can change your armour and weapons. This screen is also important because you can equip gathering tools here (tools generally need to be bought at a merchant). You also equip jewellery and accessories here. Weapons and armour can also be upgraded with runes and jewels here.

The next tab down is the Skills and Traits tab. You can't unlock skills until you get skill points, but the weapon skills tab is what you want here. When you start you have a main hand weapon and only one skill unlocked on it (the others are grayed out). Under 'weapon skills' things are pretty clear. You will see what can be used main hand, off hand or two handed. It may take a bit to collect or buy they weapons, but when you do, I recommend going into a low level area and kill thing to unlock the skills. Offhand skills take a longer time to unlock.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
Lately my greatest enemy is lag. I've had to quit the last 2 times I played because the lag was so bad.
I've always been able to fix lag by going into the display settings and choosing "best performance." I mentioned that to another friend of mine and it fixed his lag, too, so worth giving it a try.

The kitty area especially seems laggy. I haven't had a lot of problems other places, but definitely the kitties.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I finally settled on Guardian, as well. I primarily use 2H Sword, and occasionally switch over to Scepter-and-Shield. I'm just running the virtues for my special abilities- I like the fact that they give you passive effects when you slot 'em, while still having the bonus effects for clicking them.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I've always been able to fix lag by going into the display settings and choosing "best performance." I mentioned that to another friend of mine and it fixed his lag, too, so worth giving it a try.

The kitty area especially seems laggy. I haven't had a lot of problems other places, but definitely the kitties.
I'll give that a try. It is the kitties that are giving me fits, so I'll have to see if I have better luck in a different area.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:

What's the "kitty area"?

The Charr hometown?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
What's the "kitty area"?

The Charr hometown?
Charr = kitty. It's not just the city, it's the parts between the city and the level 30 dungeon (Ascalonian? something like that).

I can't speak for the other parts because I haven't been there.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

It's official. I hate jumping puzzles.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's official. I hate jumping puzzles.
I hate them too. The ones in SWTOR were difficult enough that I simply gave up trying to collect holocrons.

The ones (that I've seen) in GW2 are not nearly so hard. I haven't failed to get any vistas that I've come across. Maybe they get harder; I've only completed Divinity's Reach, Queensdale and Lion's Arch so far.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In other news, I've maxxed out my Charm so that I'm now "Captivating".
Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Me three. I'd be OK with having them there if they weren't a requirement for completing an area, but they are, and I despise them.

The worst one I've found so far is this one, in Dredghaunt cliffs. The video doesn't even show about half of it - I'm not sure why, but he started about halfway up, and getting to his start point was some of the hardest jumps. I did manage to get this one, but I can't say it was fun. WTF are jumping puzzles doing in an MMO, anyway?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

There are 3 j umping puzzles that I haven't beaten yet. 2 are in the lvl 70+ area and the third is in WvW. Every fall to my death in PvE now costs me about 1 silver and 30 copper to rez from.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Do your jumping puzzles naked! The vistas I haven't had any problems with. The special loots are a bear, though. The timed one in Metrica Province, especially. The one in Lion's Arch was kind of fun though, because of the pirate.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Me three. I'd be OK with having them there if they weren't a requirement for completing an area, but they are, and I despise them.

The worst one I've found so far is this one, in Dredghaunt cliffs. The video doesn't even show about half of it - I'm not sure why, but he started about halfway up, and getting to his start point was some of the hardest jumps. I did manage to get this one, but I can't say it was fun. WTF are jumping puzzles doing in an MMO, anyway?
If that's the one I think it is, I just hated it because you had to fight your way up and a few of the mobs had a knock back. I've mastered reflexively dodging to my death.

I like the vista's overall, but it can be frustrating.

I think every tall vista should come with a pool of water you can dive off into. They could even make it a challenge to hit. The victory of climbing to the top of a vista is diminished by having to walk back down.

There are a few in Straights of Devastation that are fun to watch during peak hours. A continuous stream of people falling to their deaths.

In malchor's leap there is a pirate cave I took far to long climbing around in. The final reward was not very rewarding.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

The jump puzzles are strictly to get the vistas and skill points (siege weapons in PvP). The vistas, along with the skill points and POIs are just part of the mapping title. Believe me, as much as I hate the jumping puzzles, it beats the hell out of the effort, often in the dark, to get the mapping titles in GW1.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Was just running around at 6-7am GMT and the places look a lot different at that hour - all the dynamic defensive events have failed and I got to liberate 4 different hylek villages from the Risen, some solo and some with a necro I rezzed and who then started following me around like a lost puppy. It is in a way even more fun than with the huge zergs, so the future when lower level zones have less people shouldn't be an issue. Of course, we couldn't tackle the group events in the zone with just two of us, but there was a plenty for us to do even so.

The warrior elite banner is a great skill to have when taking back lost villages, by the way. Just plop it in the middle of 3-4 dead defenders and they all spring back to their feet. Instant reversal of fortune, much more entertaining than the burning hounds I was using first.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

There is a fairly large download this morning. Hopefully it will address some of the more persistent bugs.

Also, I do hope that everyone here is reporting bugs as you come across them. I've found some of the reports I have made were in error, but most are for real bugs and not my stupidity. FTR, to report a bug type '/bug' in chat and a new window pops up.

There are some other emotes as well, GW1 had tons of them. Some that still work include /dance, /wave, /sit, /kneel. However, it seems like they took out fun ones like drums, guitar and the ability roll up to a 100 sided die.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

One BIG thing for crafters in the update this morning was the ability to experiment with items in the bank. That's huge... it was a major pain in the ass to have to move things into your backpack before trying to find new recipes.

I think I found about 7 or 8 new recipes this morning, just because I finally had all my ingredients to choose from!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
There is a fairly large download this morning. Hopefully it will address some of the more persistent bugs.
Patch notes available here.

Not sure why they don't just list those on the launcher like many other MMOs.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Alright, I decided to quit the pay-to-play The Secret World and try this. Got in a few hours yesterday, kinda flailing around but fun.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM

I'm getting spanked playing the Thief class.

My dual axe wielding warrior is pretty solid, but the thief (currently level 23) is a lot more squishy. Even after maxing out toughness in the "traits" page. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I thought the key would be to keep using the attacks with built in "evades", but I don't have the energy for that. (I run out of energy after two specials attacks.)

When Dual wielding daggers, I can still only damage one mob with auto-attacks, unlike the warrior who damages multiple mobs in the front facing arc. This means it takes longer for the Thief to drop multiple mobs than my warrior does.

Should I be using some other weapon/skill combo?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I have no advice for a Thief other than, is your gear reasonably up to date? Oh, and are fighting against monsters that aren't over your level?

I've just completed the starting zones for Human, Norn and Charr on my Human Ranger. I'm up to level 28 doing only that content. Although the heart rewards are never useful, the events drop enough my-level gear to keep myself mostly equipped near my actual level. And completing a zone gives some good rewards, too. I still go to an NPC armorsmith and weaponsmith to see if their white gear is better than anything I'm wearing each time I hit a multiple-of-five level.

I seem to be making a good income. I only salvage things that will help the crafting skill I really need it for (leatherworking). Otherwise, I vendor everything blue or lower color. And I sell on the auction house everything that's green or higher. I got to over 1g around level 25.

Finally, here's a very useful tip--after climbing a long jump-puzzle to get to the top of mountain peak, do not hit the "V" key for View.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
I have no advice for a Thief other than, is your gear reasonably up to date? Oh, and are fighting against monsters that aren't over your level?

Yes, gear is the first thing I make sure is up to date. (I even worry about the upgrade sockets.) Right now, stuff is cheap on the auction house.

I was Questing in an area rated as two levels below me (my effective level was lowered to match). I still end up at 1/4 health after facing two regular mobs.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was Questing in an area rated as two levels below me (my effective level was lowered to match). I still end up at 1/4 health after facing two regular mobs.
It's not uncommon for my engineer to end up low on health after facing multiple mobs, even with a healing bot going. As long as I don't die, I'm fine with that.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Bow seems to have a lot of multiple target attacks for thief.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Had a big day yesterday. I did 3 dungeons with guildies for the first time. And I got my necro to level 350 as an artificer, I should max him sometime today. Assuming I have the materials.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 AM

My thief is super-squishy too, and dies the most out of all my toons. Although I really enjoy the style and attacks of dual-daggers, I found I survive much better with a sword/pistol combination. The sword hits multiple mobs in its front arc, and the pistol gives a very nice stun+evade+flurry cone attack on #3. For events, I swap to short bow, since its auto attack hits multiple targets, plus there's the explosive arrow and poison field. You can also snare-kite with the bow but it takes a while and mob density usually guarantees that you'll end up with multiple adds while attempting it.

I also find myself using heal while at full health for the stealth effect if I'm just running through and want to break combat and stop being chased.

Last edited by Headrush042; 09-19-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpayday View Post
Bow seems to have a lot of multiple target attacks for thief.
I use that for an alternate weapon, but typically, when soloing, most mobs run up to get in melee range, and I switch to melee weapons out of habit. (Other games penalize or prevent bows from being used in melee range.)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush042 View Post
My thief is super-squishy too, and dies the most out of all my toons. Although I really enjoy the style and attacks of dual-daggers, I found I survive much better with a sword/pistol combination. The sword hits multiple mobs in its front arc, and the pistol gives a very nice stun+evade+flurry cone attack on #3. For events, I swap to short bow, since its auto attack hits multiple targets, plus there's the explosive arrow and poison field. You can also snare-kite with the bow but it takes a while and mob density usually guarantees that you'll end up with multiple adds while attempting it.
Ok, I'll try sword/pistol.

Quote:
I also find myself using heal while at full health for the stealth effect if I'm just running through and want to break combat and stop being chased.
Hmm. I have the seal/signet with the passive "small heal by doing dmg" effect. What heal skill are you talking about?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, gear is the first thing I make sure is up to date. (I even worry about the upgrade sockets.) Right now, stuff is cheap on the auction house.

Keep moving, thieves are very fragile. Also ambush trap is great, that thief you get can easily solo an equal level mob or two. Thieves guild elite will easily let you drop veterans higher level than you. Make use of your combos, short bow poison field (4) + the explosion blast (2) = area weakness, dagger pistol 5 + 2 = stealth. The trait that gives whole group fury might and swiftness on steal is awesome, specially when your helpers are up. Shortbow is one of the best weapons you can use, almost always worth one of your weapon slots. Edit: just saw your last post, i much prefer the heal/stealth move as you can use that as a escape tool or to get the mobs to focus on your thieves rather than you.

Last edited by DigitalC; 09-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Keep moving, thieves are very fragile. Also ambush trap is great, that thief you get can easily solo an equal level mob or two. Thieves guild elite will easily let you drop veterans higher level than you. Make use of your combos, short bow poison field (4) + the explosion blast (2) = area weakness, dagger pistol 5 + 2 = stealth. The trait that gives whole group fury might and swiftness on steal is awesome, specially when your helpers are up. Shortbow is one of the best weapons you can use, almost always worth one of your weapon slots. Edit: just saw your last post, i much prefer the heal/stealth move as you can use that as a escape tool or to get the mobs to focus on your thieves rather than you.
Wow. That's a lot to digest. Give me a couple days...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I have the seal/signet with the passive "small heal by doing dmg" effect. What heal skill are you talking about?
It's the first heal skill you start out with.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Movement is the key to success with all classes in this game but even more so for players who want to melee with less than a guardian or warrior. I know I fall into that group because I love dual daggers on my necro. But constant movement is what the thief was designed for. If you played GW1 you can see that it is based on the 'sin. I'm only level 10 on my thief but have yet to die (rally doesn't count as a death). The shadow step skills are great- like Infiltrator's Strike which lets you jump in, get a couple of hits and then jump back out.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, I'm up to level 8 and only dying five times per hour. Maybe more. My elementalist is basically doomed in a lot of battles, and what's frustrating is it's often hard to tell which fights I can handle and which I can't; the level of an opponent is not always a good indicator.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

As a necro, healing needs to be an integral part of your routine, especially if you're handling more than one mob at a time. I've got a 62 Necro now and I always start multi-fights wherever I can, since the two damage Wells stacked on top of each other will take nearly half a same-level mob's HP on its' own. Once the damage Wells run out, I've usually taken down the focused mob and have 1-2 other mobs at half health. Pop a healing well to give me a boost (and so the cooldown is ready for the next fight) then focus them down one by one. I usually use dagger+focus, with sceptre+focus for ranged fights and groups or against AOE heavy enemies.

The mobs aren't balanced like they were in KOTOR, where you could predict almost 100% how you were going to deal with a mob based on just their level and rank. This threw me a lot when I first started. Especially Destroyers have annoyingly high damage for their level.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm up to level 8 and only dying five times per hour. Maybe more. My elementalist is basically doomed in a lot of battles, and what's frustrating is it's often hard to tell which fights I can handle and which I can't; the level of an opponent is not always a good indicator.
I've died a lot also with an elementalist. I finally gave up and went back to a ranger. I can't quite grasp the AOE effects, and my ranger has a few AOE skills that I can practice with while also being able to defend myself. Even being very careful I often stumble into creatures that can thump me into a paste just by accident. I have learned not to be ashamed of running away .

I've decided I really like the way they handle the events, at least in the early game. (My ranger is just level 11 now.) It's fun to stumble on a group of people fighting some nasty MOBs and pile on in. If I'm on my way somewhere else I just run on past. At first I felt obligated to participate in every event I encountered, but now I understand I don't need to do that. I'm just beginning to get a handle on crafting, and that seems like it will be pretty cool once I get my skills up.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I was doing well on my elementalist using daggers and water attunment. (Casts "hoops" that come back for a small heal.)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but when you click on a monster, underneath its health in the target bar will be some powers listed. These are special things the monster can do and will give you a hint on what you're up against.

With my Ranger, I've had very little problem doing hearts or events in the open world. I only get killed if a third or fourth group (especially one with a veteran) gets brought into the fight. (That's one of the fun things about Axes for Rangers--they bounce around and sometimes bring adds.) My pet takes most aggro and I can kite or otherwise handle anything that tries to melee me.

Where I have been having trouble is the undead monsters in my personal story. They seem to bee-line to me despite whatever my pet and NPCs do. I can one or two things chasing me, but when five or six are chasing me, it's just not possible to dodge everything. I ended up zerging (kill one monster, die, rez, kill another, die, ...) to complete two quests. Very annoying.