Going to Chicago Jazz Festival!

And it’s just going to be cheezy touristy fun. My wife, my sister and her husband are all coming. I’m going to do all the kind of stuff that we here in DC make fun of tourists for doing; maybe I can just stop in the middle of the sidewalk for no reason, that’s a classic. Seriously, I love cities and Chicago is easily in my top five (June-August category).

Here’s the itinerary, what do you all think?:
Thursday:
Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour
Dinner at Pizano’s Pizza

Friday:
Cubs vs Giants

Sat:
Jazz and drinking, so much drinking

Sunday:
Brunch at Atwood cafe (for the Burnham connection)
Devil in White City tour

Monday:
Back to DC

Tuesday:
Flying out to Kabul for a month or so work assignment.

When I’m heading out to Afghanistan, I like to get in my booze and pork products beforehand. Chicago seems like the right town for it.

I recommend a visit to one of Chicago’s blues clubs … Rosa’s Lounge (http://rosaslounge.com/enhancedCalendar.cfm), B.L.U.E.S. (http://www.chicagobluesbar.com/calendar.html) or Buddy Guy’s Legends (http://www.buddyguy.com/Calendar/).

Links will take you to their schedules. I am partial to B.L.U.E.S.

If you reply with the dates you’ll be going to ChiTown, I can look at the calendars and give recommendations.

Regards, a blues lover from the 1960’s who’s been there, done that :smiley:

:cool:

(You’ve missed Howlin’ Wolf on the West Side :frowning: )

Thanks, I’m there from this Thursday until this Monday. We’re stayin in the Loop near Millenium Park where a lot of the jazz festival will be staged.

What are the plans for Friday after the game? I live in Lake View, not too far from Wrigley so I can give your some suggestions around here.

No plans, I’d appreciate any suggestions. I imagine Friday night will be packed around Wrigley?

Well, if you’re only going to have one pizza, I’d make it Pizzeria Due rather than Pizano’s.

Not sure how committed you are to the Devil in the White City tour, but there’s just not much to actually see other than the park where the Fair was held. No buildings, except the Museum of Science & Industry, remain.

I’m a Burnham/Plan of Chicago/architecture expert and tour guide, so if that’s a particular interest I’d be happy to do a custom Loop walking tour for you in return for a nice meal.

Thanks for the offer on the tour. The Devil tour is through CAF so even though there isn’t much left, I’ve had good experience with them before. I’ll keep your offer in mind for the next time my wife and I come to Chicago, this trip we’re with my sister and her husbans who’s interests run more to sitting around drinking beer so I’m trying to keep my nerd instincts in control.

**Blues Recommendations:
**James Wheeler (Thurs – Rosa’s)
Toronzo Cannon (Fri – Rosa’s) **or **Vance Kelly (B.L.U.E.S.)
Jimmy Burns (Sat – Rosa’s)
The pickin’s look slim for all those dates at Legends :frowning:

Make sure you take time to go to the JAZZ RECORD MART!
From their website:

“Tens of Thousands of New and Used LP’s, CD’s, 45’s, 78’s, Cassettes, DVDs, Books, Magazines, Posters, Postcards,
and More in Stock!”

27 East Illinois
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Store (312) 222-1467

I started hanging out there in the mid-1960’s. It’s a crazy place (atmosphere / decor) and the staff is *very *knowledgeable. They may be having special events/sales during the festival, too.