Discovered an awesome steakhouse last night...but I still need to find a steakhouse.

SO and I decided to splurge a bit, and went to Tango Sur, an Argentinian steakhouse. OMG. They don’t take reservations, and we were given a 1 hour wait estimate, but, get this, they put you on the list, take your cell number and call you when the wait time is down to a few minutes! Fantastic! We walked down Southport a bit, looking at the yuppie shops, stopped in CVS, picked up a couple of things we needed, and my phone rang 36 minutes after we left them our name. Boogied back up to the restaurant and waited only 3 or 4 more minutes for a table.

(Next time, we’ll pick up a bottle of wine, too. BYOB, darn it. Didn’t know.)

Chose to sit outside, nice weather, plants just overgrown enough to provide a nice cozy South American ambiance, but still a nice people watching view.

The food was made of awesome. Rolls were pretty basic white rolls, but nice a crunchy outside, fluffy inside. Had a beef empanada each, which came with their homemade deliciousness sauce (a type of chimichurri - olive oil, garlic, parsley, a teensy bit of red pepper and a hint of vinegar). Next time, I’ll wait on the bread to have the excess chimichurri on it, instead of butter! A simple salad followed.

And then. Oh…and then…

LOMO RELLENO (pictured second column, third row down; click for a bigger picture)
half slab argentine fillet sliced and filled with chimichurri, ham sauce, then cooked and served on a grill with portabella marsala ideal for two

Medium rare (a compromise - my SO likes medium, I like mooing, so he had the edges and I took the center), and cooked to perfection. A huge, huge portion. Just divine. So much garlic, it was almost, but not quite, too much garlic. The mushrooms were sliced and cooked perfectly.

The deserts looked amazing, but I just didn’t have room in mah belly.

We have one of those 10" “to-go” aluminum round dishes plum full of leftovers. We’re going to make pasta tonight, toss it with those amazing mushrooms and sauce and just slice the leftover beef and lay it on top to heat, not cook.

Oh, and the bill was $48 for the two of us. Now, granted, that was without booze or desert, but that’s still pretty damn affordable for a once in a while splurge! Especially as we’ll be getting a second dinner out of it with the addition of 99cents worth of pasta.

So. Great restaurant. Highly recommended. But…
We’re still looking for an *American *style steakhouse. Y’know, baked potatoes with the works, great slabs of mooin’ meat. Preferably something that doesn’t break the household budget (ie, no Ruth Chris’s, Trotter’s. Thanks, but…no.) Any recommendations? We live at Irving Park and Western; we don’t like driving (parking!) downtown much, but if it’s really worth our while, we will.

MikeG still around? pulykamell?

No doubt, Tango Sur kicks serious ass. Glad you found it so quickly.

As to the second part of your question: I don’t know any authentic steakhouses that aren’t pricey. That’s just kinda comes with the territory, doesn’t it?

The first Chicago steakhouse that comes to mind for most people is Gibson’s because it is Chicago based rather than an import like Ruth’s Chris or Smith and Wollensky.

Keefer’s would be another choice but again it ain’t cheap. Chef John Hogan has been around the restaurant scene here for a while and is deservedly well respected.

My personal favorite has to be Gene & Georgetti’s - seriously old-school Chicago.
Probably the best value of the three but still not anything as reasonable as Tango Sur.
And, btw, no snark meant by this but Charlie Trotters isn’t a steakhouse in any way.

Oh, I’m not expecting anything as affordable as Tango Sur - that was a delightful surprise! (And leftovers tonight over pasta…yum! And more than enough for three of us, with a salad on the side.)

Yelp gives Gene & Georgetti’s cost as $$$ (Tango Sur $$), so I think we can swing that next month. We’re trying for a monthly date night; we’ll trim a little off the grocery budget to make up for it.

Thanks for the recommendation!
ETA: No snark taken. Someone else (not on this board) recommended them when I asked about steak, and I was quite confused, because I didn’t *think *they were specifically known for steaks. But seeing as I’ve never been there, I couldn’t argue…

Capital Grill is excellent.

Mastros is good but over priced IMO
Chicago Cut is top class. Well worth a visit.

Capital Grille is indeed excellent but IMHO also overpriced.

And both it and Mastros are part of national chains. (I would say Mastros is even more overpriced than Capital Grille.)

Chicago Cut is also outstanding. I would also have to say they have an excellent wine list that is very fairly priced (for the most part).

Didn’t Trotter’s close?

Yeah. This last Friday, 8/31, was the last night.

I found Chicago Cut exceptionally expensive—and not that good, especially considering the price. Perhaps it was an off night, but at this price point, consistency is vital.

Rosebud Prime is good, although for the same amount of cash, one may as well go to Gibsons.

Man, sometimes I miss living in the 'burbs, really I do. Plenty of reasonably priced decent (perhaps not phenomenal, but decent) steakhouses…but do I really want to drive an hour out?..

I’m around but, believe it or not, I’m not really much of a steakhouse kind of guy. When I want steak, I just buy a good one and grill it myself. Don’t ask me why; it’s not like it saves me a lot of money. (The one or two times a year I feel like having real good steak, I end up paying anywhere from $30-$50/pound for it.)

Yeah…I’m a pretty good cook, but letting me near a steak is a misdemeanor in 3 states. I don’t dare…
So, uh…watcha doin’ next weekend? :wink:

Hi we just created a website for the local Chicago Real Estate area. It is similar to Kayak but for real estate. Also you do not need to search, we do it for you and you get an email with the best results. Can you please let me know what you think? The website is www.resulthero.co and my email is jackbrown8588@gmail.com

Steak’s not that hard. Really. You just need to make sure to start with a good steak. Go to Costco and get yourself a nice choice steak of your preference. Or get a prime, if you’re up for it. The only way you can screw up is by overcooking.

Here’s the technique I use. I do more like 1 1/2 minutes a side for the sear, though. This is an indoor technique with a cast-iron pan, but it can be adopted to the grill, if you prefer. Be careful, as it will produce a good deal of smoke.

Have you tried this board? http://www.lthforum.com/

Damn, Tango Sur sounds awesome. I’ve got to get there.

For downtown steakhouses (which I know you said you weren’t partial to given parking issues, but still), I really like Fulton’s on the River on LaSalle just north of the river. Really great food in a really great “only Chicago looks like this” environment. I’ve spent $100 a head there several times, so maybe a bit pricey, but it’s awesome.

Wildfire is one of my favorite steakhouses of all time. Chicago - Wildfire Restaurant- Steaks, Chops and Seafood

Getcha a Honker Ale and a sirloin and enjoy yourself.

Any thoughts on Kinzie Chophouse?