Where did George Takei first say "Oh My"?

Per the subject of this thread: his “Oh My” is now famous enough to be its own ringtone, but I have no idea where it actually came from. He never said it as Sulu, did he?

From the man himself

Here’s a PSA I saw recently for Social Security with George Takei and Patty Duke in which they’re wearing Star Trek-style uniforms and standing on the bridge of a faux-Enterprise. And Takei complains about being typecast!

I don’t know how much he complains about that, actually…on his Facebook feed, he regularly posts Star Trek related items and memes, and he seems to embrace that fandom with a very good nature. And he’s certainly not sitting around chewing on his liver over it…he’s done quite a bit of non-Star-Trek work, including the soon-to-open musical, Allegiance, starring Takei, Lea Salonga and Telly Leung.

Yeah, he was in The Green Berets.

His character took part in the Oh, My Lai Massacre…

That wasn’t his fault. He thought he had set his M16 on stun. Turns out that switch actually sets it on full-auto.

I could be wrong, but I swear I heard the Stern show episode when Takei said it for the first time. Actually I heard/saw it rebroadcast on his E! show. Takei was taking a call from a female Trekkie who was complaining about how he constantly trashed Shatner in the press. At one point she accused Takei of just being jealous of Shatner’s greater success and called him something like, “a sad, bitter person” to which George famously replied, “Oh my!”

Reason I think this is the one that Howard sampled and repeats to this day is because I did the same thing. I sampled the audio from my VHS tape of the E! show into my PC and created a wav file of it, and it sure sounds like the exact same one Howard uses. I still have it, sometimes I assign it to Windows error sounds, and the file creation date is 4/15/1995!

…Patty needs a good bra…

Can you put it on youtube or something and let us hear it? Sounds neat.

Maybe it was the first time he was naked and saw his frontal nudity in the mirror.

He probably was wondering what that “thing” was between his legs when he said, “Oh My!”.

I would guess he was hoping for a smooth patch like you find on Barbie dolls.

What an odd thing to say.

I follow him on Twitter, and he just tweeted “oh my” a little bit ago, so I replied to it and asked when he said it first.

Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Dafuq?

Takei guest starred in a hilarious Canadian Sci-fi comedy called Alienatedthat only 12 people outside of the cast ever saw :frowning:
He arrives to help the beleaguered family and is offered a drink. He asks for a gin. The father asks, “A gin and what?”
Takei’s character replies, “Gin.”
“One gin and gin coming up.”

That bit of dialogue often precedes the making of a delicious gin martini in the Prefect household :slight_smile:

Well, I actually never had a videotape of it. For simplicity I skimmed over the details:

Back then I didn’t get E! at my house yet, but my brother had a big dish satellite system and could. I also couldn’t get Stern’s show on the radio, I lived right between two stations and could never hear him reliably. So I setup a cassette deck on a timer at his house and (when he remembered to) he would just make sure to change the channel & the cassettes. Since his E! show was little more than highlights of his radio show (especially in the early days) this actually worked pretty well. Jurassic-era podcasting (sorta).

I could see if I still have the cassettes, but I don’t know if I even have a deck to play them on! It was a really funny episode. And the following week Shatner came on (he was also a semi-frequent Stern guest) and was a good sport about it. Takei had claimed that Shatner sabotaged a Star Trek side-project he was working on, but Shatner claimed he just told George that it would be a bad idea to leave the films and try to make it on his own. Mid-way thru the show Billy West called in pretending to be Takei (he does a flawless impression of him!) and he & Shatner pretend-argued for a while.

I really miss his E! show…