The Voice, Season 3

Anyone watching? I didn’t see a thread, although I’m on Tapatalk so it’s hard to search. If there’s a thread already, I’m sorry.

I’m pretty pleased with the talent so far this year. Bryan Keith was a standout, as was the emo backup singer. I really disliked the chubby guy with the vapors who did Gotye–wish they’d skipped him and gone with the reggae girl instead.

That one girl who sang Christina’s song was pretty. I did not expect her to look like that after seeing her parents.

Some really good competitors this year. Couple went home that I didn’t see anything wrong with. Bryan Keith was a stand out. Daniel (repeat guy) did better this year, I kinda liked what he did. He did a really different rendition of the song to make it original.

I’m not a fan of country, and don’t care for the song, but the country blonde who sang “Son of a Preacher Man” did well, I can’t see why they didn’t pick her.

I don’t normally watch these shows, but my first cousin’s son will be on it. I watched yesterday’s show, but he wasn’t on. Perhaps he will be on next week.

Watched last night’s episode. I was going to say that so far none who made it seem to actively suck (unlike last year), but then they had a couple “also rans” that the excerts were not convincing, so we will see.

Not that I care for all the music by chosen singers, but at least I can tell they have ability.

That Doma sure is a character.

There were three episodes this week and will be two next week.

Rumor has it the show will be renamed from The Voice to Christina’s Boobs.

I don’t know how she avoids nip slips. She’s always on the verge of a wardrobe malfunction.

Especially the 2nd night

Duct tape and staples.

I could not have hated Doma more. Nelly’s Echo seems to be the whole package-- voice, story, and an appealing back story.

The interaction between the judges is amusing, especially Blake and Adam.

Apparently Direct TV was out in our area. My DVR recorded 55 minutes of the technical difficulties screen.

NBC is rerunning this week’s episodes on Saturday 9/15/12.

They are also available for free viewing online at the NBC web site.

Thank you, Alley Dweller. Maybe I can get caught up.

The interactions between the judges are what makes this show better than the rest. I bust a gut laughing at something at least twice an episode.

Nelly’s Echo chose a perfect song for his voice, which I like, had great stage presence, AND he lives in my city. I have someone to root for.

Regarding Doma, I wouldn’t go so far as “hate” but yeah, uggh. Then, I tell myself I’m not really the demographic for this show. So why watch?

That’s why. I don’t know if I’ll watch the whole season. I’ll hang on as long as it’s entertaining - perhaps as long as Nelly’s Echo stays in.

I think they’ve been growing as she feeds them sparkly necklaces. Seriously, “Xtina”, cover up your titties. It’s getting a little ridiculous.

As with most other TV talent shows, I’m getting tired of hearing everyone’s pathetic back story. Can you sing? Good. I don’t really care if you’re a single mom, or if your recently-deceased father inspired your dreams, or if you’ve been living in a car with AIDS for the last six years. Just sing.

I was worried that my own reaction to that was disproportionate and that it was a sign of my own advancing crankdom. But it’s not just me, is it? That’s not just cleavage. I worry for her every time she has to hop up and hug someone. Obviously it’s hot under the lights, or she wouldn’t be fanning herself, but there are other ways to address that.

I do find myself wondering, at the audition stage, how much pathetic back story footage they collect. Kind of a chicken/egg question. Do producers have minions circulating through the crowds of auditioners hoping to overhear a sob story? Do they film ALL of them strolling down a street looking contemplative and use that to decide who’ll sing for the judges? Or do they decide who’s going to perform and then film them?

The other thing I’ve enjoyed so far about the Voice is that there seems to be an effective selection process and no one is put through and put on TV simply to be humiliated. The people who haven’t been selected are capable singers.

I rewatched the first three hours on Saturday, fastforwarding through all the sob-stories and just listening to the performances and coach exchanges.

I’m not thrilled with De’Borah (i.e. Urkel). I think she benefitted from being an early audition this season.

I feel sorry for the Jamaican chick who didn’t get picked, because she sang “No Woman, No Cry” to music. That seemed like a fumble to me on the judges’ part.

I caught a rerun of Adam Levine on the Tonight Show from this summer, and he described the “stealing” part a bit better. Apparently the show makers found a lot of the interest derives from the button and the selection, so in order to keep that around longer, they’re rolling that into the battle rounds. After the battles, when a coach lets one go, the other coaches can steal the competitor that was eliminated.

He didn’t explain, so I’m very curious, how that’s going to work. With teams of 16 each, do they have to give up one of their other competitors to steal an eliminated one? Because otherwise there’s no penalty to picking any eliminated competitor. That could draw this season out forever. So, can you see them trading out someone who picked them to rescue someone who didn’t pick them? Hmmm.

So Cupid is kind of an idiot. “I don’t think my song shows off my vocal chops, so I’m going to sing it for the biggest audition of my life.”

Seriously. He really got in his own way on that one.

So this show has sucked me in again, dammit, even if I haven’t forgiven it for the fistful of Ambien that won last year. So far I really like Nelly’s Echo (even though I’ll flinch every time I say it, but on the other hand he’s the only one whose name I remember), and the “Hallelujah” woman’s voice is amazing, enough so to overcome my extreme Hallelujah fatigue. I was prepared to want to throatpunch the Bieber-haired kid, but I actually found him kind of adorable, and the kid who closed out last night’s show was damned impressive for an untrained sixteen year old. Seems like a lot of kids this time, doesn’t it?

Speaking of age, if that woman from Beat Frequency is 28, I’ll eat my shoes. Did Christina’s hand twitch or something? It was amusing watching the other judges try to think of something nice to say about them. CeeLo has really outdone himself with Domo. She’s going to make us all long for the charm and humility of last season’s Erin.