More tomatoes than pie holes. Or ways to use fresh tomatoes.

This year I grew two slicing tomato plants and two plum tomato plants. It is now that time of year. Don’t want to make another jar of tomato sauce. I’ve got pico de gallo to spare and if I can’t toss another salad because I’ve run out of dirty jokes to crack. And yet the plants keep making more tomatoes.

Nobody wants to be the annoying person who tries to palm off excess produce on their too-nice-to-say-anything co-workers nor do I want them to rot on the vine-- the tomatoes, I mean. I did make chicken puertoricatore (cacciatore, except with poblano peppers instead of sweet italians and beer instead of white wine-- tasted great) But I need more. More!

Tell me please, what can I do with all my tomatoes?

I have made this many, many times this summer. I absolutely love it. I make it with a regular pie crust rather than the crust included in the recipe.

Bruschetta. Or just slice them and eat them with a dash of salt and pepper (and possibly with cucumbers–which is the combination I just had with my supper).

Sun- (or oven-) dried?

Wash them and throw them in a ziplock bag. In the winter, you can make chili, etc.

Also, roasted tomato soup. Mmmm, soup. You can make that and freeze it, too.

Well, you could eat them. I’m also led to believe there are starving children in China who would LOVE to have that food, young lady!

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/310603

Stewed tomatoes. Pennsylvania Dutch style. Peel and seed the tomatoes, cook slowly over low heat with a little added water initially. As it turns to sauce stir in butter, sugar, and a little flour. Continue to heat until the sauce is thick. Season more with salt and pepper, pour into individual cups, bowls, or ramikens and bake at 350 to form a skin over the top if desired.

I’d come get them.
The squirrels ate all of ours.

margherita pizzas

I take my Roma (plum) tomatoes and slice an “x” in the skin on the bottom. Then I drop them in boiling water for 20-30 seconds, move them to an ice bath, then peel them.

Then I slice them in half, lengthwise, and place them cut side up on a baking sheet with some thyme. Drizzle olive oil and a tiny sprinkle of salt over them and place in your oven on its lowest setting for 6-8 hours. I like them just short of chewy.

It’s quick, and it’s insanely delicious. They’re great on salads.

I’ve been blanching my extra tomatoes to remove the skin, then pureeing and freezing the puree for later. However, I just saw this recipe, and it reminded me that last year I made a creamy tomato soup with pasta and mini meatballs, and it was great.

Creamy tomato soup

Boboli pizza shell, brushed with olive oil. Tear a bunch of fresh basil, spinach, etc then pile on the sliced roma tomatoes. Shred your favorite cheese(s). Grill or bake.

I have tons of grape (Juliet) tomatoes this year. My favorite thing to do with them is just cut them in halves, drizzle with olive oil, add salt, pepper, basil and oregano and eat them that way. Also good if you have really fresh, soft mozzarella. Mmmm.

I have saved all the recipes in this thread too though. We are overloaded with tomatoes. I can’t wait to make the pie this weekend.

I don’t understand this at all. If someone from my office brought in garden-fresh tomatoes of any kind, I’d snatch up as many as I could.

My wife and I love to make provencal tomatoes. Not sure if you could stuff 'em and then freeze them, but if you have enough you could do a test batch.

I agree. I haven’t grown tomatoes for years now, but I never had a problem getting rid of the extras. People would make requests.

Add me to the “I have no idea what you are talking about” list.
Give them away. People who like tomatoes love fresh tomatoes. and FREE!
I don’t know how your work is set up, but at my old workplace a pile of free tomatoes in the breakroom would be gone by lunch.

I oven roast them, using a method very close to this one, but without any garlic or herbs. Then once they are done I freeze them in small ziplock baggies and use them all winter on pizza, in sandwiches, etc.

The link says it takes around 3 hours, but I find they take closer to 5, so check them often until you figure out how your oven behaves.

There are more canning recipes than just tomato sauce. You can also can them whole or diced and not made into anything at all.

I like the dried tomato suggestions, but don’t understimate tomato jelly :slight_smile: It’s actually pretty good, especially on bagels.

Put 'em in boiling water for 30 seconds, then peel them, quarter them and pull out the innards so you’re left with just the flesh. Drain as much as possible. Mix 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, half a cup of olive oil, juice of a lemon(and zest if you like it, I don’t), 2 cloves garlic crushed and a couple of chopped chilies. After draining the tomatoes fling them in the mixture and leave for a minimum of half an hour or so. Serve stirred into hot fresh spaghetti, handfuls of shredded basil and a metric tonne of freshly shaved parmesan.

Easy as pie and so so so good. Mostly it’s a Bill Granger recipe, we make it at least every couple of weeks.