How dangerous is beryllium, really?

I like elemental metals, for no particular reason, and see where I can buy beryllium cylinders. I’ve always been afraid of Be, but came across this note:
“Nasty stuff? Rather like Al, which it chemically resembles, Be is “nasty” if ingested as compounds (which require chelation therapy to get rid of) or inhaled as finely divided dust (berylliosis). But otherwise, it is a useful very light and largely atmospheric corrosion resistant construction metal, for use where Al is too soft and heavy, and Mg too reactive and also too soft; - but, Be being a much rarer element and found in extractable amounts only in rare minerals like beryl in Brazil, it is very expensive. That is why it was used as the re-entry heat-shield on the Apollo spacecraft.”
So, assuming one leaves it in the solid elemental state, how dangerous is beryllium?

Note - there are plenty of references that say it is dangerous, but then there are references that say one should call one’s doctor if one’s skin has been exposed to isopropyl alcohol, and that one should avoid prolonged contact with skin cream, and that one should wear protective garments such as gloves and goggles to handle water. It seems that some kind of alarmism has made chemical safety references partly useless.

As I understand it, it is only a problem when it is ground up into dust; at least, I have seen warnings for electronic components which contain beryllium oxide which state not to grind the ceramic parts because hazardous dust will result (example). The Wikipedia article on beryllium poisoning suggests that inhalation of dust is the greatest hazard (the metal itself is very poorly absorbed if ingested or through dermal contact).

I have the same understanding. When I bought my 3.5W argon laser years ago, the seller warned that if it ever dropped and the laser tube cracked or shattered, it should be treated with care as the tiny particles of beryllium are hazardous. But if properly disassembled, it is ok to handle the tube as there wouldn’t be particles to inhale .

I had a vender refuse to sell me some BeCu because he found out the project required welding. I was not going to do the welding, it would be done by someone set up for the job. Nope, still no sale.

ingestable forms like dust are a hazard.

items are plated with it for protection.

I imagine it would have to possess some other qualities to be selected for this role.

Material safety data sheets are usually short on alarmism. The one for beryllium metal seems to confirm what you’ve found; that the main safety risk is inhalation of airborne beryllium particulate. For basic skin contact, they’ve listed “Skin abrasion may cause irrritation”.

I’ve never tried elemental metals. How are they? Do you have any good recipes to share?

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite metal? I am myself slowly building a collection of 50x50 mm cylinders of various metals. The copper one is the most beautiful, but the tungsten is my favorite. It seems *unnaturally *heavy.

I may have to switch to a smaller size when I get to the less prevalent elements…

Mix equal molar quantities of elemental sodium and chlorine gas and react. Recrystallize in evaporated aqueous solution and grind to desired size. Add to any savory dish for seasoning. Substitute potassium if sodium is not available.

My own current favorite is titanium. My titanium-handled pocket knife collection is growing. I want my titanium reserves to equal that of a small country.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/8031942609_651de7095c_c.jpg
three_open1 by hank_rearden, on Flickr

Another favorite is rhenium, one of the last naturally-occurring metals to be discovered, almost as valuable as gold.

Still with knives, EOD kits in the US army once included beryllium-nickel knives; made so as to be non-magnetic.

May I suggest that trusting Dr. Strangelove with the Plutonium might be unwise?

I tried acquiring some in exchange for some pinball machine parts from some Libyans, but someone had beaten me to it.

“Yahoo!”
“Yahoo!”
“Yahoo!”

Tungsten is a favorite, yes. I wish I had a much bigger piece. I used to have a 3" by 7" by 0.5" piece that felt like a magnet clinging to whatever I set it on.
Iridium is perhaps my favorite. It’s a rough ball of 1 g mass. It always feels greasy. I hope to get a similar piece of osmium.
Gadolinium is very nifty. Hold it under the cold water tap and then it will stick to a magnet, but hold it under the hot tap and it won’t.
I have a block of titanium half the size of a chalk eraser, with several different textures on the sides.

Actually, all three of my alarmism examples were from MSDSs. Thr skin cream was Borden’s. I liked the MSDSS for water best, but I don’t remember if it pointed out the inhalation hazard.

Have you considered niobium? I worked with it, and I think it’s underrated. Hard, corrosion resistant and nontoxic. Also has a high melting point.

I work with it daily.

This is my understanding.

Are you sure these were real MSDSs? They sound like jokes to me, especially the water one. Not that I haven’t seen similarly stupid stuff on various warning labels–but that’s not an MSDS.

Neat! Looks somewhat expensive, but not much more so than tungsten. Still, gotta fill out some of the more common elements first. I have a huge slug of magnesium that I want to machine down, but the machine shop I go to won’t let me… grrrr. It’s really not as dangerous as it’s made out to be.