What is the most unjust law?

1. What is the most unjust law in your jurisdiction or country? “Your country” means any country where you live or have citizenship. If you live in Los Angeles, you may list any law (Federal, State, local) in effect there or any law effective anywhere in the US, for example a Massachusetts state law. If you live in LA, you can not list a Nova Scotian law unless you have Canadian citizenship.

2. What is the most unjust law anywhere?

A few pointers:

Please interpret this question somewhat broadly. No nitpicking - if the shoe fits somehow you must acquit.

A “Law” need not be a single line item or single numbered item in a statutory code. If you want to mention State Code 3.334.4 through 3.334.9 as a single law, you may as long as the individual items arguably relate to a somewhat specific common purpose. Do not list entire books of law or large sections (e.g. “The entirety of UK motor vehicle law” or “The UCMJ”). Mention what specifically is most objectionable in it. A clearly accepted case law established by precedent counts as a law.

The law can be any type of law - criminal substantive, civil substantive, criminal procedural, civil procedural, administrative (e.g. a law regarding requirements for a Driver’s License), whatever.

“Unjust” means that it, in your opinion, violates some moral, ethical, good-neighborly, or other similar principle that you deem important. A law is not unjust just because it stands in the way of something you want to do.

Citations are not per se required. If the law is well known in the English speaking world, for example the one banning people from pumping their own gas in NJ, you can just mention the law. If you claim that paperclips are illegal in Lichtenstein, please provide some type of justification (e.g. statutory cite, case citation where the law was raised, newspaper article mentioning it, etc.)

I assume you want laws that are still valid and enforced. (?) Massachusetts, for instance, still has laws on the books against blasphemy, adultery, sodomy, etc, but I assume they are no longer valid or enforceable, having been superseded by the constitution, Lawrence v Texas, et al.
Massachusetts has all its laws online. There is a section called morality or something and it’s a pretty interesting read.

Just because it’s topical, I’d say the most unjust law hereabouts is the one that says same-sex marriage is not allowed, being pretty much the definition of discrimination based on gender.

1. Laws legalizing abortion for reasons besides if the mother’s life is threatened, rape, or incest

Not sure about 2, will have to look into actual North Korean or Saudi Arabian laws a bit.

I suppose there is no way to avoid catastrophic derailing of this thread, though I didn’t expect it so early. But there is no way to call legal abortion unjust on the basis of life beginning at conception, and then turn around a terminate a fetus just because his father is a rapist. If your law against abortion is is just, your exceptions are unjust.

Depending on how you want to look at the ethics, I’d pick one of two things.

I think our “one man, one woman” marriage amendment is the most blatantly unfair law on our books right now. However, at this point it’s not really doing that much practical harm to anyone-- except for some rare cases, it’s just a minor inconvenience (and an insult) to committed same sex couples.

On the other hand, the laws that allow for draconian punishments for drug possession are frequently destroying the lives of otherwise law abiding citizens and/or drug addicts who would be better served by treatment. I don’t think drug laws in general are as blatantly unfair as the marriage amendment, but I think the way they stand now are doing a lot more harm.

Except in cases of legitimate rape, a woman can’t get pregnant.

Oh wait…scratch that. I just remembered, I’m not a Republican congressman.

Laws giving self-righteous pricks the idea they can tell women what they can or can’t do with their bodies.

Ok, now that we’ve gotten it out of our system, I’m going to exclude laws allowing/banning abortion or allowing/banning gay marriage.

Are there any jurisdictions where the requirements to get a high school diploma are so discriminatory it’s a travesty? Are there any jurisdictions where the protections a common person has against being placed in a mental institution against their will are so minimal that police can just throw people in the madhouse for anything and everything that they don’t like but that doesn’t technically constitute a crime?

You mean like banning chewing gum?

Driver-responsibility fee laws. These laws are responsible for DRASTICALLY increasing the numbers of unlicensed, uninsured drivers on the road, by unfairly impacting thoose who have no means by which to pay these large, ofen-times multiple fees.

Eminent Domain that allows the state to make a seizure for a private entity, e.g., Kelo vs. New London. Terribly unjust.

Statutory rape: Someone has sex with a horny, eager teen and the law considers them indistinguishable from someone who rapes babies.

Laws making people even peripherally involved in a felony full accomplices. As in you let your worthless trash boyfriend spend the night, he deals out of your apartment and gets busted, and now congratulations YOU’re a narcotics dealer.

Zero tolerance without context.

A lot of drug sentencing laws (including the ones Lumpy described) are extremely unjust.

World-wide, I’d include various rape laws in fundamentalist Muslim jurisdictions where the only testimony accepted is a male’s.

What law?

Many sorts of forfeiture laws are seriously capricious and crappy.

I always thought the Second Law of Thermodynamics was particularly unjust.

Especially civil forfeiture, as used by law enforcement to summarily seize property, often even before any conviction for a crime has happened.

Especially “sex offender” scarlet-lettering.