Why does sinus congestion make my gums hurt?

Looking at diagrams of the sinuses, they seem to be up around my nose, ears and cheeks. But for some reason, when I have sinus congestion, it makes my gums hurt. What exactly is happening? Is it just general swelling in the whole upper face area? Or is it something else?

your sinuses come very close to your teeth. You can google sinus infection,teeth and get all kinds of hits.

I had a sinus infection get down into my teeth once. Worst pain I ever had. Amoxicillin cleared it up within about a half hour.

I’ve had a couple sinus infections that mess with the whole side of my head.
They feel like you have a toothache, ear-ache, eye pressure, and a sore chhek bone all at the same time.

Sinus pressure can affect the nerves leading to your gums, making it feel like your teeth/gums ache when the stimulus is elsewhere. Allergies can do this easily. Ask me how I know.

While sitting in the dentist’s chair, I’ve more than once heard my dentist in the next “chair bay” over telling a patient that his teeth hurt because of a sinus infection. The dentist would then prescribe in the antibiotics necessary. My husband’s antibiotic prescription is through this dentist, who sees a lot of patients for this and almost has a side specialty practice of treating sinus infections.

I am on medication that has sinusitis as a common side effect so when Spring arrives with all the pollens and barometric shifts thrown in things go from bad to worse. I get eyeballs that feel like they are about to explode, excruciating and random pains in upper and lower teeth and I go partly deaf for months. Antihistamines and Garlic, Horseradish and Vitamin C tablets help a bit, sinus rinsing helps more.