What food goes with Deadwood?

On New Year’s Eve we generally pick a TV series or movie series and do a “marathon” * and I make finger foods related to whatever we’re watching.

We’re thinking of doing Deadwood this year (probably season 3) and I’m coming up blank on what foods to make. Peaches and pears, obviously, but what else? Any ideas?

• In quotes because our marathons usually only last a few hours and then we fall asleep.

Rooster-shaped suckers?

Cocksuckers wieners wrapped in bacon from Mr. Wu’s man-eating pigs, perhaps.

I like the plays on cocksuckers! Hee hee

:smack: I just figured out joebuck20’s idea.

I googled “cock sucker candy” (Og help me) and found several places that sell hard candy on a stick shaped like a penis. They might be a little too punny, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends upon how much work you’re willing to do for ‘Finger Foods’.

I think something like Mr Wu’s Pork Belly sounds fantastic. After cooking the pork belly you can cut it up into small bite sized cubes for serving. To make it a Mr Wu dish give it an asian slant, with something like a honey glaze, or a soy glaze, or put some Chinese five spice powder on the pork belly before cooking. Yummo. Of course Pork Belly take 2-3 hour to do right, so a lot of time.

I would try and see if you can get a screen shot of the menu board at the Grand Central hotel, and see what food was listed there? That would be pretty cool and authentic.

Beef jerky

Beans (If pork and beans is too boring, do a pinto bean dip.)

Biscuits

Just make sure there’s no Unauthorized Cinnamon involved. :smiley:

Well, there are plenty of scenes in Farnum’s hotel that have to do with food. As I recall, most of them had to do with just how bad the food was, but that doesn’t mean your food has to live up to E.B.'s exacting standards.

Mind you, as long as there’s plenty of whiskey–and as long as they’re not sipping it like some east coast dude–it probably won’t matter much. :wink:

(Finally: Am I invited?! I love Deadwood and can totally hop on the train from NYC… :D)

You’ll want to get a bag of these. Mix them in with this and this and let your guests go prospecting.

Season 3? Please don’t do that to yourself. There are people here that care for you and only want the best for you. Don’t you know how much you are hurting yourself, and by extension, us, with your crazy season 3 binges? Just let us cue up some nice season 1 or 2 for you - there’s no need to keep hurting yourself like that! Please, just let us help you!

Is there anyone else here who wants to tell Motorgirl how they feel?

*It’s my first intervention - we have to stop her before she gets into the hard stuff, like last-season episodes of The X-Files.

Pancakes.

Pemmican!

Cake and fondant poker chips.

Melted chocolate poured into a mold made from a shotgun shell.

I enjoy MOST of Season 3. The plot with the acting troupe, not so much. But Brian Cox as Langrishe was a welcomed addition to the cast. The street fight with Doherty and Hearst’s 2nd was one of the best scenes on th show.

For foods…

Persimmons should be eaten… I think they are still in season.

Bacon. Oatmeal (bad oatmeal) . Canned Peaches.

But the problem is that we recently re-watched Seasons 1 & 2. We can’t just start over, can we?! Can we??!?

I haven’t worked with pork belly yet, but I am willing to put much more time into the cooking than we’ll probably spend watching.

All good ideas. I feel like the biscuits would need to be tooth-breakers tho.

Heaven forbid!