Grant Money For Online Certificate Course?

Can anybody give me a line on where I can get a grant, not a loan, to take an online course?

I’m, interested in the Paralegal program from Duke, online.

I make $27k.

Anybody?

Or an alternative to a Pell Grant for the University?
I only need 5 courses more.

Why not call Duke’s financial aid office and ask?

I highly doubt you’ll be able to get it fully covered.

I’m not convinced that an online program, even from a school as fine as Duke, will be worth the money they’re charging.

This is a list of ABA-approved programs in Tennessee. There is a Kaplan outfit in Nashville and a community college program, which is substantially cheaper than Duke, in Gallatin. (As I recall, you are in Murfreesboro.)

If this is a path you plan to take, targeting Nashville for employers will be a good idea. Firms, I think, will have more comfort with your skill level if you’ve taken an on-campus course (versus online). Moreover, and this is utterly essential, they will likely have more knowledge of local firms and hiring contacts, making their career placement significantly better. This (career placement resources) would be Question Number One with a Bullet to ask Duke about before paying them $7,000 for vocational training.

Another thing, although this is not strictly factual. This Occupational Outlook Handbook from the Bureau of Labor Statistics says that the median annual pay for paralegals was $46,680 in 2010. Of course that number includes experienced people as well as those working in high-income areas, so will the salary for a newly hired paralegal in middle Tennessee exceed $27,000 (your current income)? Is it worth it?

There is often, from the different departments, something called a tuition fee waiver. Free tuition, for X amount of hours.

Yes.
BTW-- I am going with MTSU’s program.

I no long qualify for Pell Grants.