Old Town: Still a Hippie Enclave?

Last time I was in Old Town was 30 years ago. I remember some pretty epic head shops. Is this still the case?

Also, can I get a lunch recommendation in the Rush Street/Old Town area? Local dives are my favorites, but if you know of a restaurant in the area that is generating good buzz (and isn’t too awfully expensive), please let me know.

I might take Mrs. Homie up to Chicago for our anniversary weekend in a few weeks.

Also - I’m looking at Google Transit for directions from ORD (I’ll probably stay in a hotel near the airport) to the Briar Street Theater, 3133 N Halstead. One option is to take the Blue Line into town, and then take the Brown Line up to the Belmont station.

Is the El pretty safe at night? How about those stops?

Old Town is a lot more yuppified than it was back in the day, but it’s still enjoyable. My favorite restaurant there is O’Brien’s, but there are plenty of others to suit all tastes. Rush Street really isn’t very close and I wouldn’t lump it in with Old Town, but if you want a recommendation there I’d have to go with Carmine’s - great Italian food.

Your Blue Line/Brown Line plan would work fine, but would take awhile (it’s also a pretty tricky transfer, the Blue being a subway and the Brown being an elevated). Depending on the time of day, you might be better off getting off the Blue Line at Belmont and taking the 77 bus east.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Not at all. Very very much a yuppie enclave.

There are mulitple head shops on North Clark St. just north of Belmont. There is a red line stop there.

Wicker Park/Bucktown would be the neighborhood most likely to be even remotely like what Old Town was like 30 years ago but more hipster than hippie.

As for restaurants, Bistrot Margot and Kamehachi are two I could recommend.

Not too far outside of Old Town (it’s probably more like Near North/River North) - there’s Farmhouse off Chicago and Orleans, right off the Brown Line/Chicago stop. It’s awesome, specializes in Midwestern food with a fun twist, casual, not too pricey.

Lunch: If you want nice/casual/quick, try Goddess and Grocer. It’s an upscale quick dining kind of place–really good sandwiches and other stuff.

Transit plans: Friends don’t let friends take the Blue Line, especially at night, especially after a night on the town. Just pop for the 30 bucks or so for the cab (it actually may be a bit less than that).

Briar Street Theater is right in my neighborhood. Belmont El station is relatively safe, but there are random drunk kids around the area at night, especially on weekends.