Fiddle Faddle

What, if any , is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

I asked a violinist this very thing not too long ago. Her answer was that a violin has strings and a fiddle has strangs.

I asked a fiddler once. He said about $50,000 of student loan debt.
As the term “fiddle” is used in the US, there is no difference in the instrument itself, just the style of playing it. “Fiddle” can refer to other stringed instruments in other countries, but not so much here. Fiddle - Wikipedia

You carry a violin in a case. You carry a fiddle in a gunny sack.
(I’ll be here all week. Try the possum. :D)

It’s hard to violin about.

Yet sex and fiddles is quite fun!

Depends where yer standin’.

To echo WhyNot, it’s pretty much defined by how much you play in a pentatonic scale, do slurs, and play chords. If you don’t do them very often, you’re probably a violinist. If you spend most of your time doing them, you’re probably a fiddler. If you have a steel guitar in the band, it almost doesn’t matter how you play. You’re almost certainly a fiddler.

Ah, crap. I thought this thread was gonna be about caramel corn!
~VOW

Legend has it that at least one fiddler, suitably equipped with said instrument, is required if one plans to play in Texas.

You are not the only one. I came here to kvetch about how awful Cracker Jack is and how, in my area at least, Crunch 'n Munch has taken over the market.

You can spill beer on a fiddle.

Tuning and technique, mostly.

I think there’s also a tendency for fiddles to be steel-strung, while violins are usually strung with gut or some reasonable approximation thereof. Though of course, exceptions abound.

I thought this thread was going to be about the popcorn confection :mad:

A friend of mine played fiddle. His father played violin in an orchestra. I asked him this question and he said…

"The kind of music you play on it."

Seriously.

As a corollary, fiddlers tend to play by ear – most/many can’t read sheet music – and use open strings any chance they get. Violinists tend to play from sheet music – most/many can’t readily play by ear – and would eat a slug before playing an open string.

I did, too.
My son plays fiddle and violin. On the same instrument. It’s mostly what you play and how you play it.

We need a separate thread. What I wouldn’t give for a box of Screaming Yellow Zonkers!

“Open string” meaning without pressing on the frets, so you get the full length of the string?

Correct. Except that fiddles/violins don’t have frets.