Marlboro tobacco recall

Some smokers might remember there was a nationwide recall of all Marlboro cigarettes a few years back, which caused temporary shortages. I remember the new batches tasted a little different than the old ones, but the old batch didn’t seem terribly off. The tobacco company said there was something wrong with the cigs, but they never said what it was, and I was hoping it would come to light over time, but apparently it never did. I poked around the web and I couldn’t find a thing about it.
Does anyone know just what was wrong with the recalled smokes? Must have been something terrible, for the tobacco companies to recall the entire nation’s supply of all Marlboro brands.

OK…

According to the Centers for Disease Control Morbidity and Mortality report, the cause of the recall was methyl isothiocyanate (MITC) in the filters. To summarize the CDC report (which you should still read), the problems reported were most likely caused by prolonged smoking, not the MITC in the filters.

Robin

Wow thanks, that was a fast answer. The CDC report is rather odd, they seem to waffle about the problem’s seriousness. But where there’s smoke, there’s fire, eh?