Did Lou Reed die last night? (I hope this is a hoax)

I just got this in email but can’t verify anywhere else:

The part about “Czech president Vaclav Havel and former Secretary of State Madelaine Albright, who was frequently
seen at Reed’s NYC appearances.” Sounds fishy to me, although I don’t know.

Anyone know if this happened or not? (Nothing on CNN.com, Yahoo News, but nothing on snopes either…)

This seems awful fishy.

There’s nothing about it on Reuters (despite the byline). And why would Laurie Anderson and Phillip Glass claim they’d finish his final album (complete with release date no less) while the corpse is still warm and twitching ?

WXRT in Chicago made the announcement yesterday afternoon, then retracted it twenty minutes later, saying Lou wasn’t dead in New York but was alive in Europe.

Havel IS a massive fan. When he visited the White House Clinton brought Lou in to play after dinner.

Well…

I checked the official site which has a news section. The last update was April 25th, where he seemed fine.

On the other hand, this site does talk about his friendship with Vaclav Havel and his relations with Amnesty International (is Madeline Albright that far a stretch?).

shrugs I suppose if he really did die it’ll get press coverage soon.

I checked Yahoo, Reuters, ABC News, MTV, Rolling Stone, as well as loureed.com. No mention of his death on any of them.

I just checked nytimes.com and nothing’s coming up there, either.

This reminds me of when I was in junior high and the rumor went around that Ozzy Osborne had died. What’s interesting to me about this one is that they used a Reuters dateline rather than something invented… it makes it relatively easy to debunk (I checked Reuters too, Inky-, but you beat me too it while I was previewing!).

BBC News doesn’t have it and I say if BBC News doesn’t have it, it didn’t happen. Hoax.

Lou Reed might still be alive, but did you hear that Willie Nelson was killed?

He was playing on the road again.

Ok, ok, tasteless, but still funny.

According to the Dead People Server, he’s still alive.

http://www.dpsinfo.com/dps/rnames.html