View Poll Results: Do you buy specialty bread or plain white bread?
I buy specialty breads at the grocery 79 57.25%
I'm a white bread lover. Give me that Wonder Bread. 10 7.25%
I buy fresh from a local bakery 8 5.80%
Me and Martha Stewart bake our own bread thank you. 10 7.25%
Other, or I don't buy bread 31 22.46%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 PM

Do you buy specialty bread or plain white bread?

Growing up in the 70's Wonder Bread and Ideal Bread or some other white bread brand was all that was available in the grocery. I can remember why Roman Meal Bread was introduced with great fanfare. Mom started buying it when I was in high school and I bought too in college.

70's commercial for Roman Meal Bread

It was the 90's before there were many specialty bread choices. I buy Nature's Own Honey Wheat and Oroweat Whole Grain Oatnut Bread. Once in awhile I get Ideal for Nostalgia when I want a peanut butter & banana sandwich. A taste from my childhood.

I love raisin bread and have tried all the brands. By far Nature's Own Cinnamon Raisin is my favorite. I got frustrated with Pepperidge Farms paper thin slices. Other brands the bread is gummy.

You still buying white bread? Specialty Bread? Or even bread from a local bakery?

What specialty brands do you like?

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-25-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 PM

We didn't have the same wide selection of whole grain breads in the the last quarter of the last century, but we certainly had decent mass produced bread.

The early '60's were the desperate waste land between high quality and high status breads.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Buying white bread is like wearing tighty whiteys.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM

I don't buy bread...but if I did, it would probably be King's Hawaiian. I've had that a few times, and adore it.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 PM

Forgot to mention Ideal Bread was sponsored by our local Bozo show. Lots and lots of nostalgia when I make a P&J or P and banana with it. I only treat myself once every month or two.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 PM

I get my bread from the bakery, but a lot of it is a convenience issue for me - I walk right by a fantastic bakery daily, it's at the end of my street on my way to the subway. The grocery store is farther out of my way, so buying bread on my way home from work means one fewer thing to carry home from grocery shopping at the supermarket.

I even buy a lot of white bread there -- it's good quality but it's essentially regular old white bread with a chewier crust, and I like that I slice it myself to make thicker slices for things like French toast and garlic bread.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM

Whole Wheat would have made an easy enough choice. So I voted Other.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 PM

I wouldn't really think of it as specialty, but I prefer whole wheat.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 PM

I included all the whole wheat, multi grains as specialty or premium breads. White bread is the mass produced family cheap option.

I'd buy white bread if I had 5 kids. No way am I buying premium priced bread for kids that eat half their sandwich and leave the rest on the table or floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinor01 View Post
I wouldn't really think of it as specialty, but I prefer whole wheat.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-25-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Always multigrain of some sort.

I check the flyers, and multigrain bread that is usually $3.49 on sale for $2.49 (for example) is what I buy.

I've never bought white bread for myself. Blech.

Last edited by Leaffan; 01-25-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I included all the whole wheat, multi grains as specialty or premium breads. White bread is the mass produced family cheap option.
Really? I don't think I've ever seen white bread on a store shelf without 70% whole wheat and 100% whole wheat next to it, made in the same mass produced fashion.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I buy mass-produced, just-as-unhealthy, full-of-sodium-and-sugar split-top wheat bread, not white bread, thank you very much.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 PM

I am one of the bread bakers. It is cheap, and fairly quick and easy after you have done it for a while. The best part is that you can choose your grains. For me, though, making bread is just a side bonus from having the stuff to make bagels. Good bread can generally be found if you look; good bagels, on the other hand, are a rare commodity if you do not live in the right place.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 PM

There are some cheap brown breads that are basically the same as white bread without the bleached flour. We used to buy that for our girls when they were still at home. It might be a tiny bit more healthy. But, it's still a lot of over processed flour, sugars etc.

I'm not sure but didn't the white bread makers add some extra nutrients in the 80's? I don't think todays Wonder Bread is the same empty loaf that was sold in the 50's and 60's. But, I really don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Really? I don't think I've ever seen white bread on a store shelf without 70% whole wheat and 100% whole wheat next to it, made in the same mass produced fashion.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-25-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 PM

It'd be Roman Meal Split Top all the way except the bastards don't sell it here anymore
Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Since I buy 12 or less loaves of bread a year I always buy something special. It would be literally decades since I ate plain white bread.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 AM

I'm jealous. I'd buy fresh from the oven too if we had a really good bakery close by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post
I get my bread from the bakery, but a lot of it is a convenience issue for me - I walk right by a fantastic bakery daily, it's at the end of my street on my way to the subway. The grocery store is farther out of my way, so buying bread on my way home from work means one fewer thing to carry home from grocery shopping at the supermarket.

I even buy a lot of white bread there -- it's good quality but it's essentially regular old white bread with a chewier crust, and I like that I slice it myself to make thicker slices for things like French toast and garlic bread.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

The best grocery bread is Brownberry Natural Wheat with the Catherine Clark original recipe.

Panera bakes bread daily and sells whole loves at a really good price.
I think baguettes and sourdough boules are like $3.00 and the quality is quite good. I rarely eat there but I buy bread from them at least once a week.

Last edited by zoid; 01-26-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 AM

We rarely buy white bread unless it is for French Toast or some specific reason.

One interesting tidbit I have noticed at Walmart, of all places:

About a year ago, a local bread company started making seven grain bread that was quite good, and about a dollar cheaper than most of the other breads. They started off with about ten loafs wide on the shelf, and three shelves.

Apparently, when good, healthy bread is sold for a fair price, people start buying it. Now that brand of bread is about twenty five loafs wide on the shelf, and five shelves high!
I see people making a beeline for that brand of whole grain, fairly healthy bread and am somewhat impressed they are not buying the cheapo white bread loafs.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That may have been true at one time, but at my local stores there are more whole wheat options than white these days, so there's "plain wheat bread" and it's priced comparably to the white. And by "wheat" I am referring to 100% whole wheat or whole grain.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 AM

We buy plain white bread occasionally for retro versions of french toast, grilled cheese, and BLTs. Otherwise we get specialty breads. For general purposes we'll get multi-grained. We got 5 grain bread, then 7 grain, then 10 grain, 12 grain, and finally a 15 grain bread. But in that last one I think sawdust and bird seed were a couple of the grains, so it's usually just 7 or 10 now.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

All of the above. I bake, I but white sometimes, bakery bread, and whole wheat or other breads from store. We bought whole wheat from the store as a kid (from the 1970s on) as well as rye and pumpernickel, so it was definitely available.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 01-26-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I've never eaten store-bought white bread with any regularity. I grew up with either Roman Meal, or my Dad's homemade bread. He started baking bread when I was a kid (heck, maybe even before I was around) and I'd say at least 60-70% of the time we had his bread. It was generally white bread, but homemade American-style white bread. I'm sure it's not great nutritionally, but it's heads and shoulders better tasting than store-bought.

He still bakes, though he's in his late 70s. Just last week we had a loaf of his bread; this time he cut it with some whole-wheat flour. Delicious.

When I'm not eating his bread, it's either bread from our local European-style bakery, or the Brownberry that zoid linked. I completely agree that's the best store-bought bread, hands down. I started buying it when I was looking for lower-carb bread, and keep eating it because it's so damn good that there's no reason to go back to what I was buying previously. Really high quality bread and available in every grocery store in my area.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Sounds delish!

Im gluten free so I dont eat bread per se, but I like quinoa as a side instead.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post

+1 - when I first got to the NYC area, I realized it was a great bread town. Lots of local Italian bakeries. When you can have Zurro's rounds at your grocery store fresh every morning (they sell out early), or local bakeries a few minutes away, it's a good thing.

What's hilarious is that once in a blue moon we'll end up with big-brand bread - some multi-grain attempt. It can be in our bread shelf for weeks and still be fine, whereas the Zurro's is good for a couple of days...

So - I guess I am an opportunistic bread snob. It's good, it's close by - yay.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 AM

I look for the whole grain breads, pepperidge farms i usually buy.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM

I buy the store brand white. I don't eat enough bread to be picky about it.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 AM

I don't usually buy much bread, but when I go on a sandwich or toast binge, I get one of the multigrain varieties without HFCS. Whatever is on sale - I don't have any sort of brand loyalty. I prefer the fresher stuff from the store's own bakery, but it's a lot more expensive, so I keep it for fancy occasions or a treat for myself.

I bake my own sometimes but I haven't progressed past the no-knead, dutch-oven bread. I find bread baking intimidating.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
The best grocery bread is Brownberry Natural Wheat with the Catherine Clark original recipe.

Panera bakes bread daily and sells whole loves at a really good price.
I think baguettes and sourdough boules are like $3.00 and the quality is quite good.
We buy a large Panera sourdough loaf about once a week. Apart from quality homemade bread it makes the best buttered toast I've had. $4.40. The asiago cheese loaf -- toasted and spread with salmon cream cheese -- is exceptional, if you love savory stuff.

However, the Panera breads are only prime for two or three days so we usually have a backup loaf grocery bread. Often, Brownberry Oatnut.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM

I don't make a lot of sandwiches, so I don't buy loaves of bread. But I do eat a tortilla or pita with hummus for lunch. Usually whole wheat.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

There's a bakery one block from my house, so I buy our bread there. It depends on what I'm hungry for, but I usually choose either campagnola (a multigrain) or sourdough. They also have croissants for a change of pace.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I bake Julia Child's sandwich bread white loaves. Just walked my sister through it yesterday. Easy, cheap, smells good and tastes better.

StG
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Bread is one of the few non-whole foods that I eat and, at that, on average one slice a day (I make a fold-over sandwich when I'm on the run). So I almost always buy the cheap store-brand 100% whole-wheat or multi-grain. Not picky about flavor, and I don't care to bake.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM

I use my bread machine all the time. It takes about 5 minutes to load the ingredients, turn on the machine, and 5 minutes later you check the consistency of the dough, and 3 hours later you have amazing homemade bread. Bread machines are dirt cheap in the thrift shops - get the largest one you can find. My last loaf was bean bread and it is amazing. My herb-green onion, oatmeal, and beer breads are family favorites. I also make doughs using the dough setting for pizza dough and rolls. My butter-rosemary rolls are to die for. The bean bread I just made will be served with the venison stew that is simmering in the crockpot.

Really people, homemade bread ROCKS. Plus the smell of baking bread is an aphrodisiac! Just saying...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I like Arnold specialty breads. My wife eats Nature's Own Double Fiber -- it has half as many Weight Watchers points, presumably because one craps it out twice as fast.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 AM

I usually buy Brownberry Oatnut.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Other. It entirely depends on what we need at the moment. We have several very good local bakeries for bagels and baguettes, the local farm stand for semi-local specialty loaves like Jalapeno Shepherd's bread or garlic and cheese French loaves, and the local grocery if we need a loaf of Roamn Meal or the like. There is also a tortilleria a block from home. I also bake when I feel like it.

Last edited by silenus; 01-26-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I buy both. My wife liked white, and I find it good for certain things where the flavor of the bread might overpower other flavors. I also love rye for sandwiches, Italian to go with pasta, and Joseph's Flax Pita Bread if I'm watching carbs.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

If you get Dave's Killer Bread in your area, give it a try. It's whole seed bread, in large part. We used to buy the 21 seed bread, which was excellent. It's got a bit of sweetness to it, probably from molasses or honey.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Mostly as grainy as possible (or bake our own). While multi-grains are tasty and can work for some comfort-food staples, some things call out for white bread---grilled cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and creamcheese and jelly are ideal when served on Wonder. Then there's Mother Goose Liverwurst, a slutty delight that's home on both white bread with mayo or a robust dark bread with mustard.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:12 PM

For breakfast we get Peruvian-style French bread (Hint: it ant even remotely French bread, but we call it "pan francs"), but it goes stale very quickly. The workhorse is name-brand white bread because nothing is better than white bread when you simply want a 1-minute sandwich.

I love sourdough, but here in Peru you can only find it one bakery, it's far away and ridiculously expensive, so it's a once-in-a-blue-moon treat. Also, some German Vollkornbrot is nice, but also an acquired taste in Peru. There is no tradition of whole-grain bread in Peru. Most is done with wheat although cornbread is also eaten (very different from what an American would call cornbread).
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

We get seeded Italian from Schmidt, the same company that makes Roman Mean and Sunbeam.

Sometimes I'll pick up a La Brea Jalapeo Ceddar Bread for some spicy French toast.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:53 PM

I put other because we buy whole wheat, which is not a specialty bread.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Genuine sourdough is my favorite (but there's no good source around here, and making my own isn't a practical option at the moment). I guess it's white, but it's not soft.

I'd rather eat no bread at all than the mushy white Wonder Bread type.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:44 PM

I'll sometimes pick up the generic store brand of wheat bread, but never white and never Wonderbread. (I wonder if it is bread.)

The closest I come to white bread will be sourdough, something crusty from the bakery section, or something like a hot dog or hamburger bun.

I like the Oroweat brand as my overall go-to, especially their ryes, Oatnut and 12-grain.

Unless I'm getting some kind of baguette or other crusty bread, I avoid bakeries. They can't do sliced sandwich bread to save their lives even when they're charging twice as much for it. I really don't understand.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:46 PM

White bread for me. I got turned off of "whole grain" breads when my mother went on a years-long "specialty bread" kick (she loves that Poulsbo Bread). These are breads that I call "birdseed bread" because they're stuffed full of seeds and grains that haven't even been ground into flour.

My problem with these breads is their overpowering (and usually, to me, bitter) flavor. I take the position that the bread is mainly there to keep my fingers out of the mayonnaise and peanut butter. When I make a sandwich, I want to taste what's inside the sandwich. So many of these "specialty" breads are so overpowering on their own that I can barely taste the PBJ or the meat.

The one exception I'll make is rye bread. And then only if it's filled with pastrami/corned beef and appropriate condiments (mustard, sauerkraut, etc.) Fillings that have strong enough flavors of their own to balance out and compliment the strong flavor of the bread.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I'd buy white bread if I had 5 kids. No way am I buying premium priced bread for kids that eat half their sandwich and leave the rest on the table or floor.
I have kids, and buy them wheat bread. I don't care for bread in general myself. Wheat isn't exactly exotic and high priced these days. Grocery stores have many mass produced breads made with whole grains and even some without HFCS. The difference between the worst white value bread and the highest end bread I encounter in a typical grocery story is perhaps 10 cents per slice. I am not wealthy but I will gladly waste 10 cents to feed my kids something other than loaves of melty sugar.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Anything with a little extra fiber.

- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Always have a bag of loaf bread for sammies. Usually 100% whole wheat store brand or Natures Own. Don't eat much bread otherwise. Haven't bought regular white loaf bread in what 30 years?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM

I buy 100% whole wheat (or other whole grain) bread for sandwiches the rest of the family makes - I don't think of it as specialty bread because it's really not that different from the white bread as far as texture and flavor go, although the fiber content is way better. I bake my own all-whole-grain bread for my own use, even for grilled cheese or pb&j, because I really, really like strong-flavored bread. The only white breads I ever get are french or sourdough loaves to have with Italian food (whole wheat garlic bread is a little weird even for me) and one loaf of mass-produced supermarket-brand white bread per year to round out the stuffing at Thanksgiving.