Ask the Freemason Part II

Four years ago, I became a Mason and posted an “Ask the” thread to some degree of success (definitely fought some ignorance, and learned a bit, myself). I’ve got more than a superficial knowledge of the Fraternity now, having been fairly active in it for the past 4 years, and being a Lodge Officer.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I’d been invited to join the line [of officers] and I am now sitting in my second chair on my way to Master of the Lodge. My current title is Senior Steward, and I have occupied this chair for almost two years, previous to which I was (you guessed it) Junior Steward. The progression of chairs is: Inside Sentinel (I did not occupy this seat, as it is considered optional), Junior Steward, Senior Steward, Junior and Senior Deacon, Junior and Senior Warden and finally, Master. It is customary in my Lodge to server two years in each chair. I may skip Junior Deacon and be installed as Senior Deacon next fall, because (sadly) the guy that should be progressing has health issues which will very likely prevent him from advancing. As one advances through the chairs, the attendant responsibility increases. Each new chair has certain jobs associated with it, from very menial (taking care of the regalia of the lodge and setting up for collations) to very important (running the Lodge and managing finances, etc). As Senior Steward, I have only one speaking part in open Lodge, and I’m responsible to taking out and putting away all the stuff we use for Lodge work (the aprons, yokes, staffs, etc).

Anyways. Ask away!

What attracted you to the Masons?

Are you also the same as the Shriners?

Its interesting that back in the 50’s almost everyone belonged to a lodge of some sort. Now its pretty rare.

I’d been interested in Masonry for a long time - mainly by the mystery and intrigue and conspiracy theories around it. I presumed the conspiracy theory stuff wasn’t true, but thought it was an enigmatic organization, nonetheless.

On a more personal level, I’d moved to a new town, had been there 5 years, but hadn’t really made any connections with the community. I’d collected a handful of acquaintances, but no real friends. So, I was looking for a social outlet and a way to connect. It was either the Masons or a Dart League (and the Dart League guys were dicks).

How old is everyone there? Are you the youngest? What do the aprons look like? Do you have to help your fellow masons move or stuff like that? Do you have anything in common with the other members of your lodge?

Do you expect to have your tongue cut out for your treachery?

Have you yet been involved in any criminal conspiracies?

Do you use real kid-skin gloves?

Are there any working class people in your Lodge?

Are your lodge affiliated to the UGLE?

Are you above the third degree?

Range is 18 to 90+

Hardly. I’m 44 and probably a few years shy of the average age for my lodge

There are many different kinds of aprons, and they vary state by state, but the ones we wear in Lodge as officers look pretty much like this one.

All Masons must wear aprons in Lodge, and the Lodge provides them for the members. The aprons are simple white cotton aprons with or without a blue border. Most of the Lodges I’ve been to have both, with the aprons with blue borders for members of the Lodge, and the plain white ones for Masons visiting from another Lodge. I think that’s pretty standard.

When I went through the degrees, I was given a white leather apron, which I wore during each of the three degree ceremonies, and will not wear again unless I want to be buried wearing it. It looks like the plain white cotton one I mentioned earlier.

Past Masters wear special aprons that are typically presented to them when the leave office, and Grand Lodge (the state by state governing body) officers have special aprons they wear, as well. Grand Lodge aprons (and other trappings) feature the color purple, where ‘regular’ Lodges feature the color blue. Your “Blue Lodge” is the Lodge where you were Raised (made a Master Mason).

Each officer in Lodge has an apron with the emblem of his office on it.

There’s more, but that’s a probably more than you really wanted to know, anyhow. :slight_smile:

I’ve been asked many times, but I have bad knees, young kids, and a demanding job, so I may help you hoist a beer or two occasionally, but you need to find someone else to help you move.

I do. More than I would have ever expected. And, if nothing else, we have our beloved fraternity in common. You have men from all walks of life, countries of origin, religions, political beliefs, that get together, put aside ALL differences, and get along. It’s really cool.

I’ve actually become very close friends with one of the guys I met when we went through the degrees together 4 years ago. We have coffee about once a week, fish (he’s a fanatic and it’s contagious). He sold me his old Boston Whaler last summer when he bought a bigger boat. Our families get together frequently for dinner at his house or ours. We used to go out for beers occasionally, but he gave up drinking a couple years ago.

Pretty much all of my closest friends now are guys from the Lodge, and I’m lucky in that most of my fellow officers are close to my age. I’m actually having a big party on Sunday (Pig Roast) and about half the people I invited are my Lodge Brothers.

I hope not!

I haven’t been involved in any criminal conspiracies, but I’m certainly available if needed.

I don’t. I wear cheap white parade gloves from the costume shop because they only cost $3/pair.

Oh, definitely. I live in a pretty affluent town, so the numbers are probably biased toward upper-middle class, but there are guys from literally every walk of life and I’d say 98% of us are working class. Even among our officers, we have a guy that works as a laborer for the town, a cop, a finance executive, an insurance salesman, a retiree, and two IT Directors (myself and one other guy about my age). I recently had some plumbing work done and used a guy that just joined the Lodge. Another one of the guys I joined with 4 years ago is an electrician. Another guy I’m friends with is a banquet bartender for a catering company.

No. US Lodges are subordinate to the individual states’ Grand Lodge. There is no governing body above Massachusetts Grand Lodge for Lodges in Massachusetts.

I am. I joined Scottish Rite last year and received a bunch of additional degrees, including the 32nd. It was a good time. I’m hoping I can do all of the degrees, but it will probably take years, since I don’t find a lot of time for Scottish Rite. The additional degrees don’t make me more “Masonic” - they’re not really progressive, and there isn’t any real prestige in being a 32nd Degree Mason, it just means I joined Scottish Rite.

I forgot to answer your second question. No, I am not a Shriner, but they ask almost constantly. Shrine is a lot of fun but it’s also a huge time commitment. As it stands, when they put on a comedy show or the circus, I can go and we always have a good time. If I joined the Shrine, I’d be obligated to help put the shows on, and I really don’t have time in my life for it right now. 12 or 14 years from now, I’ll be a Past Master at my Lodge and my kids will be in school, and maybe I’ll want something to do with myself.

What, if anything, do you make of the Anti-Mason paranoia?

1. Do you see some good business networking opportunities by joining the masons?

2. How come I’ve never been asked to join? You all dont seem to do membership drives.

I mostly think it’s kind of funny, but understandable. Any sort of exclusive club is going to drum up controversy, and one with religiosity, secrecy, and prominent people among it’s members is definitely going to stir things up. I think it’s sort of sad that people believe we’re devil-worshipers or whatever, but whatever floats yer boat. Right?

Absolutely. I made a ton of money last winter on a side consult for a company a couple Brothers work for. It was an awesome XMas in the Smith household.

We can’t invite you - you have to ask. Message me if you need additional guidance, etc.

I used to know a 33rd degree mason; I used to ask him about it sometimes. It sounded kind of interesting, he really kind of played up the charity thing, but once he started going into the policies regarding minorities and how they have their own organization and what not which is separate I thought the freemasons really wouldn’t be my thing. This was around 12 years ago.

This came up in the last thread, too. My Lodge has members that are white, black, brown, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, wealthy, poor, liberal, conservative, etc. In the fall, we will be conferring the degrees upon the first openly gay couple to join our Lodge. There aren’t many clubs that can boast that sort of diversity. One thing I would point out, though, is that we’re up here in Massachusetts where the climate tends to be more liberal-leaning and progressive. Several friends of mine lived in southern states for a while and observed less evidence of racial/cultural/religious/etc diversity.

Well done on taking office Brother. It’s hard work but very rewarding.

Are you in any appendant orders or planning to join any? (Royal Arch, Cryptic Council etc etc)

In the most simplest of terms explain to me what it is that you do as a member of the Free masons.

How do you think Freemasonry began, and what do you think were the intentions of its founders?

Is secretly controlling the world a lot of work?

But no Catholics and no women.

Does the phrase " Ride the Goat " mean anything to you,… if so what?