Was there ever such a song/tune?

I would swear in court that I remember listening to Enya’s “Orinoco Flow” on the radio while driving with my dad the summer I was ten or eleven. This is, of course, impossible, since that would place it in 1965 or '66, and it apparently wasn’t written until twenty-odd years later.

I do, however, distinctly recall hearing the “Sail away, sail away, sail away!” part long before then.

Was there ever a song/tune back in the mid-sixties that could have been mistaken for “Orinoco Flow,” even in just that one part? Or was I caught in some kind of time warp? :dubious:

Well there’s that Styx song.

Skip to 2:50 for the “Come sail away” part.

Nope, not even close, and it didn’t come out until 1977. :frowning:

Memory can be a strange thing.

nm

Oh, Sail Awayby the Kingston Trio, perhaps? Released 1961 or earlier.

Very possible, though I remember the orchestration being much more lush with lots of plucked strings. (The first time I heard “Orinoco Flow” in the '90s, I said to myself “So that’s the tune I remember hearing back then!”)

What the hell, it was almost fifty years ago! Memory can indeed play strange tricks on you.

Noel Coward’s Sail Away from the musical of the same name in 1961?

The opening of “Orinoco Flow” is definitely reminiscent of a song I remember from the 60’s, but I can’t put my finger on what it was. Could you possibly be conflating a couple of different songs that resemble “Orinoco Flow” in some way?

The opening to Andy William’s 1963 hit Can’t Get Used to Losing You is similar to the opening to Orinoco Flow, however the lyrics are not similar.

Yep, that’s the one I was thinking of but couldn’t place! Quite right, no similarity in the rest of the song.