Do Spaniard call one another "negro?"

OK, actually, Hispanics.

In a recent “Sanford and Son” rerun, Fred’s Potarikkan neighbor Julio offers to take Fred and Lamont to a Mexican restaurant to show them what Mexican food was like. Julio referred to the waiter as “negro” (with a short “e” sound), to which Fred replied, “He sho’ don’t look like no neegro to me,” but after which Fred started referring to him as “neegro,” with a long “e.”

Accurate, or just something to throw into the script for actor Redd Foxx to chew on?

I’m trying to drudge up my Spanish class memories from high school (a couple of years ago) and as far as I can remember negro is the spanish world for the color black. I think it was just put in their for witty repartee. Although I could be wrong so I await a more knowledgable doper to come and correct me.

Very much accurate. It is an affectionate term much like “dawg” used by Hispanics.

and

[quote]
Originally posted by Amp** Very much accurate. It is an affectionate term much like “dawg” used by Hispanics.**

Well . . . .it depends. “Hispanic” term encompasses alot like “European” or “Caucasian” so it depends which Latino nationality you are talking about. As far as the Mexican community goes, “Negro” can be both friendly or a form of racist word depending on who is saying it or for what reasons. Same thing applies with the word “indio” (Indian, Native American). If it’s between two friends and the one friend, who happens to be a dark-skinned Mexican (either 'cuase being Indian or Afro-Mexican), is nicknamed “Negro”, then it’s ok to shout out: “Oye mi Negro”, “Ese Negro, que onda huey?!”, etc. BUT, it can also be used in a derogatory manners as in: “Pinche Negro!”, “Oye Negro!”.

XicanoreX

Absolutely acurrate. Of course it depends on the country. While it’s common in many Latin American countries, I believe it’s mostly derogatory in Europe.
What I can tell you certainly is that in Argentina it’s a very regular way to refer to someone. It’s widely used in a friendly manner among lower-class people, not because their poor education, but because their skin tone. You see, they have more true American blood than you and me - i.e. their skin is darker. :smiley:
This -the physical difference between a mostly European race and a mostly native one- happens not only in my country, but in all Latin American. And usually that’s culturally related to social status.
However, as Xicanorex notes, it’s common to insult someone by nicknaming him “Negro de mierda”, or just “Negro”. IMO, I think it’s all in the tone you give it, your intentions. Not the word itself.
So, negro, haven’t you heard the “Che” term?

My apologies. What I should have written was that where I am from, Puerto Rico, it is used in the manner I described above. I should not have been so arrogant as to lump all Hispanic people under the same catagory.

I have several Latino friends. One of them has the nickname “negro”. He loves it. He has quite pronounced native South American features rather than hispanic ones, but I was told that it is generally a compliment to be called “negro”, but “indio” is often offensive.

Here in Australia, it is a similar case with the word wog. Years ago, it was highly offensive, but now it has achieved a sort of pride within the mediterranean community.

? Come again? “Hispanic” has a very broad definition in the US and it’s not used much in Mexico. A more appropiate way would be “Indigenous” features as opposed to “Spanish” or “European” or “Mestizo” features.

[quote]
but I was told that it is generally a compliment to be called “negro”, but “indio” is often offensive.

[QUOTE]

Depends. As I stated before, in Mexico at least, “negro” and “indio” can be both offensive or harmless. For example, you are asked to choose team players for your futbol team and you don’t know the name of one of the persons you are choosing. It would be offensive or innapropiate to ask your friend “Who is that negro?”. A more appropiate manner would be to ask “Who is that moreno?”. Of course if you know the guy and he is nicked “El Negro”, you can shout “Oye, Negro, vienes con nosotros huey!”.

XicanoreX

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by xicanorex *

Erm… You’re probably quite right. I’m no expert on the US termniology, so I was pussyfooting through the minefield of political correctness. Normally, in Australia, people would just say “he looks more Indian than Spanish”.

Yeah, I’d kinda figured that. The guys in question are good friends of mine, and of each other, so it’s not really an issue. Mexico doesn’t really come into it for us (not many Mexicans living here). The guy who gets called “Negro” is from Chile. The other guy who started it is Uruguayan. The Chilean guy is a very flamboyant type who plays up the “hot Latino” image for all it’s worth. He is very image conscious, so normal conversation with him is:
“Hey, Negro!!!”
“Yes, baby??” (he calls everyone “baby”)
“Negro baby, you damn UGGGGGGLY!!”
“Thank you baby!”

He likes it.

My Spanish is down there with my Urdu and my Icelandic, so could I please have a translation of that? It looks like fun.
:smiley:

Uh?

So, let me see if i got it: do you use “Hispanic” as synonymous for “Indigenous”? :confused:

Sorry about the hijack but

Lucky Australians calling things like they see them.

I bet you save an hour a day not having to figure out things like what to call the mailman.

Mail man / mail person / mail female / mail carrier
Wait a second mail sounds like male so I better try
Letter man / letter person…back up letter man sounds like Lettermen, David Letterman could sue me I could go with postal??? But If I say go with postal perhaps it could be viewed as a play on going postal. Arghhhh!
You may have that luxury but it’s not all good down under. You people also made that movie whomp whomp or chump chump or whatever that thing was didn’t you?

Waxteeth, you are right about us Aussies calling things as we see them, but unfortunately that is only on an personal level. Australian officialdom has embraced political correctness probably even more than the US has.

And as “mail” sounds a wee bit too much like “male”, we all know that a mailman is now a “personperson”. :smiley:

“Whomp whomp”? Dunno. Not a movie person.

:slight_smile: Well, all it means is “Hey, Negro, you comin’ with us, dude!”.

XicanoreX

As others have said, usage varies from country to country. Here in Panama, where many people are at least partly of African ancestry (at least in the bigger cities), they are almost never referred to as “negro.” The universal term is “moreno,” which is generally regarded just as a descriptive. I have the impression that referring to a person as “negro” is, if not exactly pejorative, seen to be in bad taste.