What Creative Work Would You Recommend Without Reservation to Anyone?

My three:

The Beatles’ Rubber Soul
‘Breaking Bad’
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

If they commit to watching from the beginning, without distractions…The Sopranos. I’ve talked to people that watched a few random episodes and didn’t like it but if you watch it from the beginning and pay attention I think it’s the best TV ever.

I guess I tossed in some reservations didn’t I?

Wow… Without reservation?

A “Highlights” mix from Rossini’s “The Barber of Seville.” The whole opera would be too much for many people, but the Overture and, of course, “Largo Al Factotum.” (Extra points if you can hear it without thinking of Bugs Bunny!) :wink:

“Murder by Death,” the murder-mystery spoof movie, boasting more stars than a clear desert sky at night. Hilarious, and filled with joy. The actors are clearly having the times of their lives.

The Good-Humored Ladies,” an instrumental/orchestral work by Scarlatti, arranged by Tommasini. Fresh, vibrant, bouncy, joyful, rich, and…fun! I love the way the instrumental voices sort of “whirl away” in the opening movement.

And…in visual art, this photo of a lost painting by Caravaggio, “Saint Matthew and the Angel.” The contrast between the mortal and the immortal is brilliant. Matthew, struggling, kicking his foot, his forearm stiff with the effort of writing, inspired by perfect angelic grace; anyone who has labored for creativity – prose, poetry, painting, sculpture – knows the sensation. The work is hard, and yet, somehow, the beauty seems to come from somewhere else, somewhere outside. Not for nothing have poets attributed their best work to “The Muse.”

Anyone? Or any adult? Breaking Bad might be a little intense for an 8 year old.

StG

Nothing, I wouldn’t recommend any of Trueba’s movies to a 3yo… or, what StGermain said.

Yeah, I guess I meant for any adult

Singin’ in the Rain. Possibly the most entertaining movie ever made, and certainly one of the most joyful (Kelly’s performing the title song is the greatest expression of joy ever shown in film).

Replay by Ken Grimwood. You have to search very hard to find anyone who doesn’t love this book.

This, though “creative” might be stretching it.

The paintings by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio are creative works I would recommend to any adult.

You haven’t seen The Princess Bride?

Inconceivable! Here, borrow my copy.

Star Wars
The Princess Bride
Frozen
The Incredibles

I know there are people in the world who do not enjoy one or more of those, but I have to think they are a tiny minority.

If such a work existed, I don’t think it could be very good. The reason elevator music is elevator music is that they took away anything that might bother or offend or trouble anyone, leaving the most pasty, pale imitation of art.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Deadwood
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

Moonrise Kingdom

Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
Deadwood
The Office (UK)
Freaks and Geeks
The Godfather
The Godfather, Part II
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Casablanca
The Right Stuff
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
It’s a Wonderful Life
Annie Hall
A Fish Called Wanda
Raiders of the Lost Ark
To Kill a Mockingbird (both the novel and the film)
The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition, by Stephen King
Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer
Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer
Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley
Maus, by Art Spiegelman
Bone (full color one volume edition), by Jeff Smith
…and I didn’t even get to all the albums I’d unhesitatingly recommend to absolutely anyone.

I have never seen it. But I’ve been noting that it ranks high for a lot of Dopers. I may give it a try if it comes around again on HBO, etc.

ETA: I’d recommend **Apollo 13 **to anyone without hesitation. And S&G’s Sounds of Silence album. And a lot of books I don’t have the time to list right now because I’m in the edit window.

None whatsoever.

Taste is EXTREMELY personal, and what I love can easily be disliked or even hated by someone else.

The Wire

The last 10 minutes of Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto #3.

Winged Victory.

Gustav Klimt’s The Kiss.

Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead.

The Burj Khalifa.

Chopin: Étude #12 in C Minor, Opus 10, “Revolutionary”

A Serbian Film.