Why Won't Excel Recognize This Stock Ticker Symbol?

One of my stocks recently split, or spun off part of itself into a new stock. Now I keep one of these data tables in Excel (Data/Existing Connections/MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes) which pulls in info for various stocks that I have, which allows for automatic updating of various other calculations. Problem is that Excel for some reason won’t recognize this particular symbol, which is messing up my spreadsheet.

Ticker symbol is SNR (New Senior Investment Corp).

Any thoughts?

What do you mean by “recognize this particular symbol?” Nothing in an unadorned spreadsheet recognizes anything. I can type “SNR” into any cell of a spreadsheet I wish and it’ll sit there inert. Not deleted, not triggering an error, not modified, no bells, no whistles.

Did you write or import macros or functions to do this “recognize” thing? That’s where the problem is, and there is no generic troubleshooting of a custom macro beyond the broadest first principles.

If you go to Data/Existing Connections/MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes, Excel imports this information.

Do you get a table with a bunch of companies that are not “New Senior Investment Corp.”?

If so, that’s because that’s what this plugin does: it goes to this url

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=SNR

See what it brings up? A bunch of other tickers that start with SNR (SNRS, SNRY, SNRAF, etc.) but are not actually SNR. So, when excel gets this result, it shows you exactly what the ticker lookup service gave it. Not sure how to tell the service a more specific request (i.e., “give me the company with the exact ticker ‘SNR’ on NYSE, not those other guys”)

You are correct. This new stock is less been trading on the NYSE for less than a month and it isn’t even in the link shown above. I am sure the source data gets updated with a new master list of stock symbols on a schedule. There isn’t anything wrong with Excel or the specific spreadsheet. The query tool that pulls down the data just hasn’t been updated with a new list of stock symbols yet. Not everything is instant or automatic when it comes to such tools. Give it a little more time and it should start working on its own when the query tool is updated.

Well it does pull up that list, so I guess that’s it. I had wondered if it was a timing thing and kept checking to see if it got fixed. I’ve other companies spin off or change ticker symbol and never had this problem.

It sounds like the question has been answered but I’d like to clarify that your question is not exactly an Excel question. When I go to Data/Existing Connections, there is nothing at all because I haven’t set up a data connection. And you have. So your problem is specific to your data connection, and none of us can diagnose that unless we have the same connection that you have explicitly set up. I am thinking that **arseNal **did a little homework on your behalf to come up with that answer.

Actually, I’m using excel 2007 and it worked exactly as he said in the OP – under the Data tab there’s this thing called Existing Connections (not just “Connections”) and the Msn MoneyCentral thing is under there. I did have to poke around for a few minutes to see how it worked, tho.

I’m guessing like the rest of you guys, I only clicked this thread because I saw the thread title and thought, “huh? since when does excel ‘recognize’ tickers?”. Then, I’ll be damned, it really does have this stock quote doohickey …

I gave enough information in the OP for anyone familiar with Excel to recreate exactly what I did. People unfamiliar with Excel were not who the question was directed at.

No idea what your problem here is.

The only real problem is an unfounded assumption that Excel is only used to secure stock quote data, or that everyone has occasion to be familiar with that capability (even if it’s available out-of-the box).

I have the dubious distinction of working with Excel approximately 20 hours every work week of my life, and nothing in the basic toolset of Excel has anything to do with data connections or stock information.

The fundamental problem is not that the respondents were unfamiliar with Excel, but that the questioner was.

ETA: to use a car analogy, asking to troubleshoot problems cause by towing a trailer is less likely to get helpful responses unless you make it pretty clear that the problems occur only when you’re towing a trailer, considering that not everyone has a trailer hitch.

Edit window closed on my previous post, so let me close the thought I started there and emphasize something in your comment (the part I bolded).

That assertion is inaccurate. It wasn’t until Post 3 that you mentioned data connections to MSN stock quotes. Not the OP.

And it turns out that the data connections issue was the critical point.

If you had included that detail in the OP, you probably wouldn’t have garnered criticism for poor question posting. Because, in all objectivity, the initial question was incomplete. I managed to elicit the rest with my first response.

I think we’re just asking here to include all the relevant details if you need troubleshooting help, and don’t get tense if someone points out that it wasn’t all there in the original question. Because that’s the only way it can work.

If we have to tease critical information out of you one question at a time, please don’t blame our understanding of the subject matter. If you provide a poor description of your symptoms to your doctor, is it his fault he can’t instantly arrive at a diagnosis?

I don’t know from where in the OP you might have derived the assumption that Excel is “only used to secure stock quote data”. It’s also used to get stock data, and I happened to be asking about that particular feature.

Ditto for assuming “that everyone has occasion to be familiar with that capability”. No doubt there are many who are not familiar with that, including some who spend 20 hours a week with the program, and all such people had option of either visiting that feature, as described in the OP, or ignoring the question entirely (an option many people have a hard time with, sometimes).

For some reason you chose Option #3 - to ignore the directions in the OP and just assume the function I was describing didn’t exist. People do that too - can’t be helped.

To use a car analogy, it’s as if you asked a question about a problem pulling a trailer hitch and the first response is by someone who says “what do you mean pulling a trailer? You can’t pull a trailer with a car - there’s nothing to attach it to”.

Can you do me and yourself a favor? Instead of just posting this nonsense over and over again, reread the OP. Including the part where it says:

Reread as many times as necessary, until you understand what it means.

Then come back.

I sit corrected. :smack: Disregard my earlier. I suppose it’s fair to impugn my reading skills, if not my Excel skills. :o

So, back on point… does the answer look like it’ll work? Probably an MSN lag thing?

OK, well I’m glad that we’re past that :slight_smile:

The answer is that it will correct itself in time, so we’ll have to see.

I’ve been using Excel since its inception and was unaware of this capability. I’ve been using a manual spreadsheet for years for stock tracking and may have to look into it.

Upon re-read, I see that you did specify “Existing Connections”. Interesting, don’t know why you don’t have it. It’s there for me (excel 2007) and I’ve never done anything special to get it in there AFAIK.

Hope you don’t have SNR in your folio!

Related:

You can call dynamically updating Google Finance data in Google Docs.

Yeah, my use of Excel isn’t in the financial area, so I’ll confess ignorance of the MSN built-in. So ignorance fought, in this case mine. :smiley:

FWIW, I have seen data connections for more technical reasons (software bug report databases, for instance), but those are custom jobbies set up for specific job-related tasks. And frankly, given the network environments I’ve worked with, they weren’t very reliable. But they did share the problem of delays between changing the underlying material and updates in the feed, so this issue of a stock feed not updating yet to a new stock symbol doesn’t surprise me.

I jumped the gun on my explanation, thanks for correcting that. It’s in my 2010 version but not 2013. I forgot that MSN is a Microsoft service, so naturally they bundle it into their products where possible. Not sure why I don’t have it on 2013.