Why don't they clean up after sex in the movies?

I don’t recall ever seeing it or even mentions of it.

“Hand me a kleenex please.”…nope

“I thought you brought the towel!”… nope

“You get the wet spot…” … nope

Is it possible that even a reference to bodily fluids is against the “code” such that an X rating would result automatically?

I know that there aren’t likely to be any actual fluids involved but still…realism you know.

See, back in the older films after a couple had intercourse then they would pause the film and they’d clean up, that’s what they called the intermission. Usually it lasted for about four minutes or so, so it was definately happening but you’re right, they never showed the mission itself, usually just a still of some girl sitting on a flowery hillside looking wistful while pleasant music played in the background.

I don’t recall too many scenes of people grunting on the pot and realistically wiping, either.

You don’t see someone walking all… the… way… from… their… car… to… the… house unless the action is somehow highly relevant to the pacing, either.

Even the most detailed “minute by minute” film skips a considerable amount of minor action, movement, time etc. I can’t think of a scene that would need to include someone wiping their schlong to be cinematically valid.

ETA: I’d bet you’d find such a scene, presented with an uncomfortably clinical and prying edge, in a modern Scandinavian film. Their film sensibility includes rather unflinching shots of things US/Anglophone directors mash up a bit with cuts, long shots, etc.

I seem to remember one of the characters (Anne Archer’s I think) cleaning herself after sex in Short Cuts.

For the same reason there’s always a parking spot near the door.

I’m pretty sure I recall comments about someone sleeping in the wet spot but I don’t have examples handy. Also, remarks about men having a tendency to shower and leave after sex aren’t common but I know I’ve seen it mentioned or being a part of the story.

As Hitchcock said, “Because it would be dull.”

Unless it’s important dramatically, there’s no reason to show it.

It’s tricky cleaning up afterwards when you still have your underwear on. I’ve seen multiple instances of scenes that begin just as the couple is finishing, they fling themselves apart exhaustedly, converse for a few minutes and then they’ll hop out of bed, underwear in place.

:dubious:

Mark my words.

One day Brawny Paper Towels will get that film product placement contract they have been pursuing for years.

They manged to make bodily fluids a plot point in Something About Mary. They cut out lots of reality in movies in the name of moving the story along. Why would this be any different.

You mean the intromission.

The Strawberry Alice character in “Unforgiven” does, also. Just a wipe with a towel, but it’s there.

I think you mean intromission. :cool:

There’s a scene in Mad Men in which a hippie chick is seen cleaning up after boinking one of the main characters in his office. (I think she may have used his handkerchief, though.)

There might have been similar scenes in Deadwood, too, but they went out of their way to be raw, especially about the whores.

In comedy, timing is everything.

I seem to remember a scene from Friends** where Ross and Rachel did the deed at the Museum of Natural History, where Ross had to work late that particular evening. I don’t remember the details but the gist of it was that what Rachel mistook for premature ejaculation turned out to be Ross accidentally rolling over on a drink box that he brought for their picnic dinner. Also, on a crossover episode b/w Two And a Half Men** and CSI** the investigators shone a UV light in Charlie’s bedroom to look for traces of semen, and of course the room lit up like an H-Bomb explosion.

One that sticks in my memory is from the original Fun with Dick and Jane.

They did the same (2.5 men) joke in The Office.

But they left the possibility open that it could have just been blood or urine. :slight_smile: