good indie pop/rock suggestions (pldennison, please advise)

I’m looking for some good new indie pop or rock bands, and I haven’t had the time (or cash) lately to keep on top of the scene, so I want suggestions. I don’t want “alternative” rock that gets heavy rotation on MTV and major radio stations. Tell me about some cool local band or anything that might be under the radar.Some bands I’ve been listening to recently:
Cinerama
Belle & Sebastian
The Orange Peels
The last XTC album
The Divine Comedy
The Aislers Set
The Lucksmiths
The Ladybug Transistor
Handsome Boy Modeling School
A lot of the stuff on the Teen Beat label

If you have any idea who these people are, you’ve got an idea of what I’m looking for. Perrenial favorites include Husker Du, the Beatles, the Replacements, the Go-Betweens, Gang of Four, and Public Enemy.
pldennison, if you’re reading this, your tastes seem to be more in sync with mine than other posters’ as far as I’ve seen, so I’m especially interested to see what you’re listening to. But anybody with an idea, please help out. Thanks.

Hi woodstockbirdybird

May I humbly suggest:

Poster Children Junior Citizen
Sam Precop Sam Precop
Archer Prewitt In The Sun
(of course these folks are in line with Tortoise and other ?Thrill Jockey artists, but more pop sounding)
Disposible Heroes of Hiphopricy Hipocracy is the Gratest Luxury
(not new but fantastic none-the-less)
Built to Spill Keep It Like A Secret is one of the best pop albums I’ve heard in a long time.

I don’t listen to th radio or watch MTv so I don’t know if these are popular or not.

A group I just heard today on the radio has a CD coming out next week and I only heard 2 songs but I’ll be there to pick up my copy when it’s available.

Group’s name is Brand New Immortals, they have a cool website with at least one free download of “reasons why” at http://www.brandnewimmortals.com It is comprised of members who were in bands previously but the only one I caught was in Black Crowes, and now that I think of it there was a hit of the BC old sound, you know when they used to be good.

I’m terrible at comparisons, and I heard the live acoustic songs but they are more like Replacements or XTC than Husker Du. Worth at least a checking out IMHO.

One of the most awesome bands I’ve ever heard–The Deadly Nightshade Family Singers.

So THAT’S where Johnny Colt wound up.

The Apples in Stereo. All of their albums are good. (You can get them all at emusic.com.)

Dr. J

Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. obidiah, I’ve got the Poster Children, Disposable Heroes, and Built to Spill, but I haven’t heard of the others. Thanks. Also, DoctorJ, I’ve got most of the Apples’ stuff. Yeah, they’re good.
Mermaid and ThisYearsGirl, I’ll check those groups out.
Anybody else?

Well,
Both Fountains of Wayne albums are quite good and would definetly fall into the indie pop/rock category.
VAST has gotten some minimal coverage on MTV and the radio but I think they still qualify as under the radar. Their newest album Music For People is one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard. Classified under soft goth perhaps.

Other random but very good bands I’ll just list:
Tripmaster Monkey
Calexico
Remy Zero
John Doe
(former lead singer of X)
Spacehog
Llama Farmers

Is that enough?

Well, I’m not familiar with most of the bands here, so I’ll just throw these out as bands I like.

Edith Frost: There’s a new preview track called “Cars and Parties” from her new album currently available on MP3 at http://www.dragcity.com/dragcity.html

Broadcast: Sort of Portishead-ish / Stereolab-ish, but not exactly.

decidedly more pop than rock…

Sodastream “Practical Footwear”
Birdie “Some Dusty”
Lovejoy “Songs in the Key of Lovejoy”
Moose “Highball Me!”
Stars “Nightsongs”
The Clientele “Suburban Light” or “a Fading Summer”
Spring “The Last Goodbye”

-fh