1.01 Uno and 1.02 Mijo
1.03 Nacho
1.04 Hero
1.05 Alpine Shepherd Boy
1.06 Five-o
1.07 Bingo
Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 AM
BANNED

I'd say the strongest part of the episode was the one where Hammlin tells Saul that just because he passed the bar, he can't hire Saul on as an attorney. Just because his brother is a founder doesn't mean he can risk hiring a guy who is that age and doesn't have the pedigree of a "respectable" law school.

Not sure how realistic that is - surely he could promote Saul to paralegal duties instead of the mailroom. Anyways, what made it so strong was the sound of the copier and the lack of dialogue. We know how that meeting was going to go - he'll be making eternal more copies yet.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 AM

We busted out laughing as soon as Jimmy crawled out of that dumpster only to realize the shredded documents were in the recycling bin on the other side.

Another great episode, one of the better ones yet, IMHO. Him and Chuck were really compelling together. Loved the ending.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 AM

The music while he was trying to piece together the shredded docs...It was sampled in a track by Hansom Boy Modeling School called "The Truth" I think they played the original track and not the HBMS version but don't know what it is. Anyone?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
The music while he was trying to piece together the shredded docs...It was sampled in a track by Hansom Boy Modeling School called "The Truth" I think they played the original track and not the HBMS version but don't know what it is. Anyone?
http://www.whosampled.com/Handsome-B...ool/The-Truth/
Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Nice, I wonder if that was on purpose? "Coffee Cold" is the original track and the Sampling track is "The Truth" and in that scene Saul was searching for the truth and then his coffee went cold.

Great episode.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Good episode. It was interesting seeing Chuck go outside and not even realize what he'd done. I don't know how contracts for lawyers work so I don't know if HHM will take over the case now that it's a $20 million case. I think there's just two episodes left and they are supposed to be big ones, so I'm excited to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeed View Post
I'd say the strongest part of the episode was the one where Hammlin tells Saul that just because he passed the bar, he can't hire Saul on as an attorney. Just because his brother is a founder doesn't mean he can risk hiring a guy who is that age and doesn't have the pedigree of a "respectable" law school.

Not sure how realistic that is - surely he could promote Saul to paralegal duties instead of the mailroom. Anyways, what made it so strong was the sound of the copier and the lack of dialogue. We know how that meeting was going to go - he'll be making eternal more copies yet.
That was a good scene, with the copier making noise and us not being able to hear the conversation until Hamlin opened the door at the end. It might be realistic that they couldn't hire Jimmy as a lawyer, but I thought it was funny about how big of a dick move that was for Hamlin to go in and interrupt the celebrations for Jimmy passing the bar to tell him that, and to take a piece of cake. Hamlin could have waited until the end of the day, or maybe the next day to tell Jimmy, but instead he had to interrupt the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
We busted out laughing as soon as Jimmy crawled out of that dumpster only to realize the shredded documents were in the recycling bin on the other side.
I was feeling so sorry for Jimmy that he couldn't find the documents and was covered in trash, and then when I saw the recycling bin I cracked up. That was great.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM

Is it known why of 10 episode titles, 9 are a single word ending with o?

Last edited by Mr Shine; 03-24-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Is it known why of 10 episode titles, 9 are a single word ending with o?
Five was supposed to be "Jello" but the company wouldn't grant them use of their trademark.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 AM

This show gets better and better each week. Sad to hear there's only two episodes left. I wonder if the work that Mike was asking about will put him in touch with Gus Fring.....
Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 AM

I really liked this episode. I really hope Jim gets a win here. Obviously he won't get a cut of the money some how but I want him to stick it to the arrogant jack ass on the other side who is defending swindling Seniors.

The senior partner at Chuck's firm makes for a great adversary. So douchey. Like how he told Kim she earned a place in the spot light and then took all the credit for the Kettleman victory.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The senior partner at Chuck's firm makes for a great adversary.
It's Hamlin, Hamlin, and McGill. I think the blonde douchey guy is the younger Hamlin. And we've seen Chuck. I'm not sure we've seen the senior Hamlin yet.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
It's Hamlin, Hamlin, and McGill. I think the blonde douchey guy is the younger Hamlin. And we've seen Chuck. I'm not sure we've seen the senior Hamlin yet.
Well assuming the other Hamlin is a parent/son I think you are correct, but everything so far seems to suggest he is the one calling the shots. And I believe there can be more than one senior partner. So he might not be the senior Hamlin, but I believe he'd be considered at least "a" senior partner.

I'm surprised people found this to be one of the better episodes. Perhaps I was not in the best of moods, but is found this to be one of the more boring ones. I like to watch them again after listening to the podcasts - as I always miss something - so perhaps my opinion will change.

Chuck's place seems unnecessarily dark - even during the daytime. Much of the progress he makes seems to involve that door. It would be nice to see him make it out by the end of the first season. Maybe to some place with lots of windows...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 AM

I'm wondering if he really took the bar, or if he somehow cheated. I found it surprising that Chuck
had no knowledge Jimmy was trying to pass the bar exam.

Oh, and I just love Kim.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM

I think he took it for real. He is a smart guy, but still took three tries to pass. And he was way too nervous about that letter for it to be a cheat.

A little point I thought was interesting, from the AV Club writeup: "Fans of Breaking Bad minutiae will remember that Saul had a diploma from this (non-existent) university in his office, but with the name 'Saul Goodman' on it." So is there a way to explain this other than broken continuity? Could Jimmy have actually legally changed his name, and then asked the university to give him a new diploma under his new name? Or if Saul was just a nom de lawyer, could he have dummied up a version of the diploma with Saul Goodman on it--and if so, would that be legal?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
I really liked this episode. I really hope Jim gets a win here. Obviously he won't get a cut of the money some how but I want him to stick it to the arrogant jack ass on the other side who is defending swindling Seniors.
Why wouldn't he get a cut of the money? Surely part of class-action lawsuit payouts go to paying the lawyers?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
Good episode. It was interesting seeing Chuck go outside and not even realize what he'd done. I don't know how contracts for lawyers work so I don't know if HHM will take over the case now that it's a $20 million case.
Yes, that is going to be a source of conflict. There was some foreshadowing when Kim mentioned Chuck's partnership obligation, and Jimmy played it off as "pro bono work." That ain't gonna fly. Hamlin is going to want his cut, and I get a feeling Jimmy is going to get screwed again.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Jimmy is on the path of good. I can't wait to see what makes him say "fuck it" and turn into Saul. Maybe Hamlin screws him out of the money and (more importantly) the credit for the class action suit.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Why wouldn't he get a cut of the money? Surely part of class-action lawsuit payouts go to paying the lawyers?
I'm just assuming that circumstances will somehow make it so he doesn't get the money because that would make him a multi millionaire at a time when we know he isn't.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Jimmy is on the path of good. I can't wait to see what makes him say "fuck it" and turn into Saul. Maybe Hamlin screws him out of the money and (more importantly) the credit for the class action suit.
My prediction: Jimmy gets fucked out of participation in the $20 million lawsuit by Hamlin; Jimmy works out an underhanded, nasty way of taking revenge (probably involving Mike's help somehow); this method works, and fucks Hamlin but good - but in the process somehow alienates and/or harms his brother and associate friend - and leaves him permanently on the 'bad side'.

I could of course be totally wrong - would not be the first time.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
This show gets better and better each week. Sad to hear there's only two episodes left. I wonder if the work that Mike was asking about will put him in touch with Gus Fring.....
Oh, absolutely. The moment his daughter-in-law said "it's only a drop in the bucket" you could see (with the benefit of hindsight, and "next time on BCS") the moment where Mike crosses over to the dark side.

Great episode. It made me wish I was binge-watching, so I could immediately roll on to the next one when it was over. Stupid real-time 20th century TV viewing.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Jimmy is on the path of good. I can't wait to see what makes him say "fuck it" and turn into Saul.
I don't think Saul was so bad. Didn't he actually continue to do a pretty good job representing his clients?

Quote:
I'm just assuming that circumstances will somehow make it so he doesn't get the money because that would make him a multi millionaire at a time when we know he isn't.
All those pillars and giant Constitutions don't come cheap. He was clearly doing better in that office, with his multiple employees, than in his nail salon boiler room.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 AM

I'm liking the show, it's a little slow but I assume it's building up to something. This is now the good Jimmy that I thought was needed to set up his Saul character. It does sound like Jimmy is about to get screwed out of this settlement, and doesn't look good for his brother either. If not for the reputation of Breaking Bad this show would have been moving too slowly to catch on.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
If not for the reputation of Breaking Bad this show would have been moving too slowly to catch on.
I don't know, man. It's not action packed, but it is really clever, and seems to try a new genre on for size ever week. It's got variety, character development (still waiting for Kim to break out, though), and a unique, interesting vision. My girlfriend likes it, and she didn't watch more than one season of Breaking Bad, so never got to Saul.

Also, count me in as one who doesn't remember Saul being a bad guy on BB. He was involved in crime, but only peripherally, and he seemed to talk sense into people rather than egging them on. He was a criminal, but not evil the way Walt, Gus, Tuco and other criminals on the show were. This show is about Jimmy becoming Saul, but it isn't going to be a downhill slide from good to evil the way Breaking Bad was. More of a gradual, meandering, wrestling with tough choices type of show with Jimmy realizing one day that he's a pretty far down a road he didn't intend to be on and learning to deal with it.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Can someone remind me what the daughter-in-law's money is from? (Probably from last week and I've already forgotten!)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Can someone remind me what the daughter-in-law's money is from? (Probably from last week and I've already forgotten!)
I think it was money that her husband/Mike's son stashed from his shady police practices. She found it after his death.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I don't know, man. It's not action packed, but it is really clever, and seems to try a new genre on for size ever week. It's got variety, character development (still waiting for Kim to break out, though), and a unique, interesting vision. My girlfriend likes it, and she didn't watch more than one season of Breaking Bad, so never got to Saul.
Well yeah, I should have said it wouldn't catch on with me. It's a quality production, it will have a following just from that.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
from the AV Club writeup: "...could he have dummied up a version of the diploma with Saul Goodman on it--and if so, would that be legal?
Not a fan of everything being overthought, but given what we know about Saul Goodman and his evolution, I don't think that he'd be very concerned--if at all--with the legalities of replacing one name for another on a framed piece of paper for appearances sake. He did earn his degree from there, so I doubt he's really trying to defraud anyone. If he were, I'd assume he'd use a school with more of a reputation?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Also repeatedly in the show he's come close to getting something good and it slips right out of his grasp. It would be surprising for him to stumble upon this big class action suit and everything to go well and him to earn a lot of money from it. Either HHM will take over somehow and screw him out of the money, or maybe he gets the money and somehow it comes back to hurt Chuck and he loses his partnership and that money he's owed from HHM. Either way, we know it's not going to end up going well for Jimmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1505 View Post
Not a fan of everything being overthought, but given what we know about Saul Goodman and his evolution, I don't think that he'd be very concerned--if at all--with the legalities of replacing one name for another on a framed piece of paper for appearances sake. He did earn his degree from there, so I doubt he's really trying to defraud anyone. If he were, I'd assume he'd use a school with more of a reputation?
I agree, he either could have asked for a new diploma with his new name, or could have printed up a new one, thinking that it's easier than explaining to each client who comes in. And thinking that it's not really defrauding anyone, since he did earn a degree.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM

If Jimmy didn't have a law degree and/or passed the bar Chuck and Hamlin* would have found out about it.

*Hamlin - I see multiple spellings for this guy's name on Wikipedia and IMDB. I think there must have been a sign or letterhead that showed the real spelling.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM

I was thinking with the foreshadowing of Jimmy not getting hired at HHM and all, it was obvious Hamlin is going to find a way to screw Jimmy out of his $20M case.

But now I'm thinking the twist might be that Chuck screws his brother out of the case. I mean, he had to be complicit in rejecting Jimmy's job application at HHM. He was hesitant to say he was proud of Jimmy after he passed the bar. He always blames it on the other partners, but Chuck was the one who first told Jimmy maybe he shouldn't advertise under the name McGill.

They set it all up perfectly. Jimmy helps Chuck, Chuck helps Jimmy, everything is hunky dory, family time, and hugs, and then next episode, the other shoe is going to drop. We're going to find out Hamlin isn't Jimmy's arch nemesis, Chuck is. Hamlin was always just taking the heat for screwing Jimmy over, but Chuck was the source. Maybe we'll find out why.

Or not. This show never takes the obvious path.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
If Jimmy didn't have a law degree and/or passed the bar Chuck and Hamlin* would have found out about it.

*Hamlin - I see multiple spellings for this guy's name on Wikipedia and IMDB. I think there must have been a sign or letterhead that showed the real spelling.
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...s/0/0a/HHM.png
Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 PM

I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen next episode.

Chuck is "cured". Hamlin gets pissed that they used Chuck's access code on a case independent from the firm. Somehow Hamlin threatens Chuck, saying that it's now their case. Chuck once again gives in to Hamlin, and not going 'up to bat' for his brother, just like he let Hamlin convince him not to let Jimmy work there. Kim works out a deal... (I'm hoping not with any sexual favors). I don't know... something along those lines.

Maybe I'm off.

I like that 'Better Call Saul' is it's own animal. Why would you expect otherwise? This is another man's story, with hints of themes in 'Breaking Bad', But it's got a little more range as a whole... at least in my humble opinion.

I don't think this show's plot is as easy to describe. At least not yet, anyway.

It doesn't 'go off the rails' from the BB universe, that's all that I require of it's existence as a show. I don't want them to pull a 'Star Wars' and tarnish the world in which BB is set.

So far so good!

As far as to whether it's good or not, I think it's brilliant so far. But I can see where it might not attract all of BB's fans. I also think that people who didn't get into BB should give this a shot.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:00 PM

My guess is that not only does Jimmy get screwed out of the money, the seniors end up getting screwed over by HHM as well.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 PM

I'm thinking HHM will use the fact that they used Chuck's copy code to glom onto the case and take it.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen next episode.

Chuck is "cured". Hamlin gets pissed that they used Chuck's access code on a case independent from the firm. Somehow Hamlin threatens Chuck, saying that it's now their case. Chuck once again gives in to Hamlin, and not going 'up to bat' for his brother, just like he let Hamlin convince him not to let Jimmy work there. Kim works out a deal... (I'm hoping not with any sexual favors). I don't know... something along those lines.

Maybe I'm off.

I like that 'Better Call Saul' is it's own animal. Why would you expect otherwise? This is another man's story, with hints of themes in 'Breaking Bad', But it's got a little more range as a whole... at least in my humble opinion.

I don't think this show's plot is as easy to describe. At least not yet, anyway.

It doesn't 'go off the rails' from the BB universe, that's all that I require of it's existence as a show. I don't want them to pull a 'Star Wars' and tarnish the world in which BB is set.

So far so good!

As far as to whether it's good or not, I think it's brilliant so far. But I can see where it might not attract all of BB's fans. I also think that people who didn't get into BB should give this a shot.
And then maybe Jimmy does get some of what he's owed so long as he stops using the McGill name. He gets enough to set up shop and change his name.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking HHM will use the fact that they used Chuck's copy code to glom onto the case and take it.
Absolutely.

They had to have the pages printed because 'no electronics' (though, possibly, computers of the day/search engines of the day might not have been up to providing all they needed, even if Chuck could have tolerated the presence of a computer). But in essence this will be yet another brick in the wall of Jimmy losing out, due to his devotion to his brother's welfare.

Quote:
...This show is about Jimmy becoming Saul, but it isn't going to be a downhill slide from good to evil the way Breaking Bad was. More of a gradual, meandering, wrestling with tough choices type of show with Jimmy realizing one day that he's a pretty far down a road he didn't intend to be on and learning to deal with it.
Yes, this isn't the story of a man losing his soul to his own cold pride, so much as it's the story of a man failing to reach his potential. Jimmy clearly has the smarts and drive to have made it into a respectable life as a partner in a prestigious law firm. But he'll settle for making a lot of money as a disreputable representative for criminals...because of what this show will show us.

I agree with those speculating that Chuck may overtly betray Jimmy, and that this will be a large part of what turns Jimmy away from the possibility of life in the sunshine.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 03-24-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Absolutely.

They had to have the pages printed because 'no electronics' (and possibly computers of the day/search engines of the day might not have been up to providing all they needed, even if Chuck could have tolerated the presence of a computer). So this will be yet another brick in the wall of Jimmy losing out, due to his devotion to his brother's welfare.

Yes, this isn't the story of a man losing his soul to his own cold pride, so much as it's the story of a man failing to reach his potential. Jimmy clearly has the smarts and drive to have made it into a respectable life as a partner in a prestigious law firm. But he'll settle for making a lot of money as a disreputable representative for criminals...because of what this show will show us.

I agree with those speculating that Chuck may overtly betray Jimmy, and that this will be a large part of what turns Jimmy away from the possibility of life in the sunshine.
My guess is that, in return, Jimmy takes some sort of action that destroys his relationships with Chuck and that associate (probably, some underhanded revenge on that smarmy Hamlin). At least, neither is shown in Breaking Bad.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm saying.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
So is there a way to explain this other than broken continuity? Could Jimmy have actually legally changed his name, and then asked the university to give him a new diploma under his new name?
I think you can do that. Legally change your name, then send the court order of the name change to the university. They would update their records with your new name so that the degree could also be verified.

People legally change half their names all the time with marriages. Surely you could get a new diploma printed in that case, right?

Last edited by Habeed; 03-24-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM

It's going to be so heartbreaking when the obvious thing happens and Jimmy gets screwed out of his share of $20M.

Which is why it seems so likely that something entirely different is going to happen.

I also notice that Michael Mando (Nacho) has his name in the opening credits, but we haven't seem him in about 5 episodes. Seems likely he'll be back, although how he could relate to the nursing home storyline is beyond me. And I feel like Mike needs to get looped back in somehow as well.

This is definitely up there with the very best shows currently on TV.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I was thinking with the foreshadowing of Jimmy not getting hired at HHM and all, it was obvious Hamlin is going to find a way to screw Jimmy out of his $20M case.

But now I'm thinking the twist might be that Chuck screws his brother out of the case. I mean, he had to be complicit in rejecting Jimmy's job application at HHM. He was hesitant to say he was proud of Jimmy after he passed the bar. He always blames it on the other partners, but Chuck was the one who first told Jimmy maybe he shouldn't advertise under the name McGill.

They set it all up perfectly. Jimmy helps Chuck, Chuck helps Jimmy, everything is hunky dory, family time, and hugs, and then next episode, the other shoe is going to drop. We're going to find out Hamlin isn't Jimmy's arch nemesis, Chuck is. Hamlin was always just taking the heat for screwing Jimmy over, but Chuck was the source. Maybe we'll find out why.

Or not. This show never takes the obvious path.
Interesting theory, it's definitely possible. It would explain why we don't see Chuck in BB, it's because they had a falling out. It would be more tragic than HHM screwing over Jimmy.

I don't think Chuck is or will ever mean to be Jimmy's nemesis. I don't think Chuck was visibly proud and happy because he's not as outwardly emotional, and he was surprised since he thought of (and still thinks of) Jimmy as his screw-up younger brother. But I could see maybe Hamlin convincing Chuck with a logical explanation that it would be best for everyone if something happened that left Jimmy out in the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
Yeah, I think even if BB had never existed I'd still be enjoying BCS. But having watched BB, brings a layer of tragedy to BCS, since we know that Saul will never get the respect he wants. Also brings more tragedy to Mike's story, since we know he went down a bad road because feels guilt for his son and wants to take care of his granddaughter. The stuff from BB makes Jimmy and Mike's stories more compelling, but I think I would find them compelling even on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I also notice that Michael Mando (Nacho) has his name in the opening credits, but we haven't seem him in about 5 episodes. Seems likely he'll be back, although how he could relate to the nursing home storyline is beyond me. And I feel like Mike needs to get looped back in somehow as well.
Yes, I keep waiting for Nacho to pop back up. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be related to the nursing home storyline. He wasn't happy how things ended up with Jimmy, it could that Jimmy is dealing with all that stuff and wondering how things could get any worse and then Nacho walks in with a demand and/or a threat.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
Yeah, I think even if BB had never existed I'd still be enjoying BCS. But having watched BB, brings a layer of tragedy to BCS, since we know that Saul will never get the respect he wants. Also brings more tragedy to Mike's story, since we know he went down a bad road because feels guilt for his son and wants to take care of his granddaughter. The stuff from BB makes Jimmy and Mike's stories more compelling, but I think I would find them compelling even on their own.
Without BB, the opening of BCS makes very little sense - and only by continuing into BB could we ever understand why he's looking back on his legal career while working in a Cinnabun under an assumed name.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Bear in mind, though, that it was Chuck who decided it was a $20 million case. Jimmy would have taken the smaller money and run.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Good point.

He didn't need to do that. You can go to any law library and look up those cases for free (and could then as well). You can Shepardize the cases too (which is a reverse directory of case law - you look up case law - like Miranda v Arizona and it lists every case that mentions that case). It would take an hour tops to pull the four (I think it was four) cases, Shepardize them, and copy the four cases and the listings in Shepard's citations. Normally you wouldn't copy every case you shepardize - especially cases like Miranda v. Arizona - as you could have hundreds or even thousands of cases (he might know these are lightly cited perhaps - but I doubt it). Since he is going to have to read them anyway - he'd be better off reading the four cases (which he needs to do anyway) and picking the parts that are relevant (which is what the "headnotes" that she mentioned) allows you to do.

He also only gave the name of the cases. They've done pretty well on legal stuff so far (they mention in the podcast they don't know much about the law) - they got the Shepardize part right, but you'd give the full citation (unless the article or whatever didn't mention them - which no legal publication would normally do). So it would be something like Smith vs Disher, 392 F.Supp. 286 (ignoring unpublished or recent decisions that would be west law only - but you won't find much citing them). Otherwise you might pull a case with the same name - plus it's impolite when asking a favor to have the other person figure out which case it is.

So I think you are on to something - the only reason to mention that code is to move the plot forward.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
Bear in mind, though, that it was Chuck who decided it was a $20 million case. Jimmy would have taken the smaller money and run.
I'm expecting something like "I knew you could take on Sandpiper and I wanted to help.... but when I heard that it was a chain of nursing homes across state lines, I realized that a struggling, inexperienced lawyer would never be able to take on a case this big by himself, so why don't you just let HHM handle it?"
Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Words View Post
Without BB, the opening of BCS makes very little sense - and only by continuing into BB could we ever understand why he's looking back on his legal career while working in a Cinnabun under an assumed name.
I disagree. If you saw Breaking Bad, you UNDERSTAND more of the flashforward opening but there's no reason that someone going in blind, wouldn't assume that the flashforward has to do with the events of BCS.

I also don't think people should assume that because we didn't see so-and-so on BB, that means something must happen to them. Saul was a supporting character on BB, there's no reason to assume his personal life supporting cast would show up on Walt's show.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I agree that HHM will screw Jimmy out of the class action lawsuit somehow, but I don't think Chuck will be an active part of that. The way I took the ending is that Chuck was fine going outside until he realized that he was outside, at which point he froze and dropped the box. I think he's about to have another episode that could put him completely out of commission.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I agree that HHM will screw Jimmy out of the class action lawsuit somehow, but I don't think Chuck will be an active part of that. The way I took the ending is that Chuck was fine going outside until he realized that he was outside, at which point he froze and dropped the box. I think he's about to have another episode that could put him completely out of commission.
They've made it pretty clear that when Jimmy is doing good, Chuck is doing good. So if Chuck gets put out of commission, it will probably be Jimmy's doing. Sneaky underhanded tricks to pay back Hamlin for stealing his case, maybe.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Not a lawyer, not even on TV, but I'm thinking that from a legal standpoint, the case already belongs to HHM. IIRC Chuck is still officially a partner, and he just used HHM's facilities, and an employee, to do about $400 of case-related printing on HHM's nickel. Seems like it would be hard to argue that it isn't their case now.

Anyway, yeah, looks like Jimmy is totally screwed on this one.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 03-24-2015 at 03:43 PM.