Are there people who enjoy listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks for musical value?

As I understand it, Alvin and the Chipmunks started out as novelty music. Are there people out there who enjoy listening to those songs because they like the sound of the music, and not just for the novelty value (because it sounds funny/amusing)?

(And yes, I am aware that this thread sounds like one of those “I don’t understand how anyone can like something because I don’t particularly like it” threads, but I was just wondering about that question.)

Very young children who either don’t know any better or wish to exact revenge on their parents.

I was at an airport with a group of friends, and we were all waiting to get the luggage we checked at the gate, so it was very quiet while we all waited in that little area by the plane door. There was a woman waiting there as well, who otherwise looked completely normal, perhaps in her late 30s or early 40s, and she had headphones on, and they were turned up so loudly we could all hear what she was listening to.

She was gently bobbing her head and tapping her feet, occasionally closing her eyes and really getting into the music. As God is my witness, the sound coming out of her headphones was the Chipmunks singing “Ooh eee, ooh ahh ahh, ting tang, walla walla bing bang”.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you.

[pedant mode on]

Not actually the Chipmunks, but “David Seville” (Ross Bagdasarian), predating the first Chipmunks record. The practical difference is that there is just one sped-up voice, not three in harmony.

That link says Bagdasarian had a hit with it in 1958 and the Chipmunks covered it in 1960. The lady on the plane could have been listening to either version.

I mean, whatever. I remember it being the 3-part harmony version, but that might be my faulty memory. The point is she was jamming out to some high-pitched Chipmunk action, and didn’t care one bit who knew it.

I think it’s understandable in the case of that song. The common Chipmunks cover, maybe not.

Uh, David Seville was the Chipmunks. After the success of “Witch Doctor,” he did the same thing with “The Christmas Song,” singing all three parts (plus himself).

The songs are certainly nice pop tunes. Seville/Bogdasarian – who also acted in Rear Window as the mucian – already had a number 1 hit for “Come On-a My House” for Rosemary Clooney in 1951 (co-written by William Saryoan, Bogdasarian’s cousin).

Not really. Both David Seville and the Chipmunks were (originally) Ross Bagdasarian (sr), but it’s completely valid to differentiate between the characters, especially since the versions of the song released as David Seville and the Chipmunks are noticeably different.

When I was 5 I had cassette tapes of “Chipmunks Sing With Children” and “Chipmunks Sing The Beatles”. So they’re a pretty foundational aspect of my musical journey. I may not have heard the Chipmunks before the Beatles, but they were my first exposure to most of the Beatles’ early hits. And the “With Children” tape had a lot of “standards” I first heard sung by the Chipmunks, like “Rag Mop” and “Tonight You Belong To Me”.

So I wouldn’t say I enjoy their music in that I listen to it regularly, but I would be pretty pleased if I could find those tapes, just for the nostalgia factor. In fact, looking now I see they’re on Wikipedia, so I might try and find copies on Amazon now!

I reluctantly admit to having several Chipmunk albums. “Chipmunk Punk” is one, and the other covers country standards such as, “Mamas Don’t Let Your Children Grow Up To Be [delete]Cowboys[/delete] Chipmunks.” There was a rash of Chipmunk albums around the same time. Many of their covers were the first time I heard some of the pop songs, including Billy Joel’s “You May Be Right.” :o

I love listening to Witchdoctor. I’m not saying it’s good music, but I enjoy it. I remember it from the debut of the TV show, apparently I still had the ability to retain music at that point in my life.

I unironically enjoy “The Christmas Song”.
AAAAAL- VINNNN!
OH KAY!

Yeah, it’s far from the worst pop song out there, in terms of musical value and enjoyability. From the thread title, I thought the OP was going to be asking about the Chipmunk albums like the ones kath94 mentions.

Five minutes after reading this, I’m still giggling!

Patton Oswalt has a ridiculously hilarious bit about how he used to listen to Chipmunks songs. I won’t spoil it. Highly recommended.

As a kid I figured out that if I played a Chipmunks 45 RPM at 33 1/3 I could approximately hear David Seville’s real voice. Speaking of which…

Want to hear something really freaky? I mean REALLY freaky. Check out 45 RPM Dolly Parton at 33 1/3.

When I was a young kid (~7 or 8 years old), I LOVED my Urban Chipmunk record. I would listen to it over and over.

My parents must have hated me. :smiley:

The point is that Bagdasarian sang all the parts. It’s no different from Loudon Wainwright III doing two versions of “Black Uncle Remus.” Or, for a more familiar example, Procol Harum’s two versions of “Conquistador.” Bogdasarian was doing his own composition, and sung all parts.

No, it’s more like saying that Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are the same character because the same guy did both voices.