Scared to open car hood

I ran out of windshield washing fluid in my car today and bought some more but I am afraid to open up the car hood. I have always had someone else do it, and the last time the persons hand slipped and they almost dropped the hood on their fingers. That’s my main fear is the hood slipping and breaking my fingers, that and once you get the hood propped up, all that’s holding it in place is a thin piece of wire that also looks like it could easily come loose. Anyone have any advice, or should I just try to have someone else do it?

Are you due for an oil change, or close to it? I would have no idea what to do to put windshield washer fluid in my car, I always have it done when I get the oil changed.

I get someone else to do it.

It’s not that I’m scared to open my car hood, it’s that my car hood is scared to open.

Some man with big callused hands has to hit it in the right place then it gives in and pops open.

The good thing about this approach is I make some nice man feel good about his manliness in helping a little old lady. Win-win.

I am not due for a oil change for a few more months.

It goes in the reservoir with the bright blue cap, there’s usually a picture on it that looks like a windshield with fluid being sprayed on it. Your manual should point you to it.

If it sticks, the ‘right place’ is usually just somewhere near the middle.

I opened the car hood once. I’m not sure why I bothered - the only thing in there was the engine, and I already knew that it wasn’t working.

Sara, what kind of car is it you drive, make and model? I’m sure we can look it up and give you specific directions if you’re willing to try. Or do you work with or live near a neighbor that seems like a ‘car person’? The process isn’t terribly complicated but I do understand your reticence.

Usually there’s a primary latch that will unlock the hood from the inside, often times located near the driver’s left calf or ankle forward of the door hinge. Then there may be a second release just under the front of the hood near the grille. Then hold it firmly and raise it, it may have a cam that allows it to stay in place or, as you mention, there may be a rod that swings up and fits in a dedicated slot to lock it in place.

As Joey mentions, remove the blue cap with a wifer icon and pour in the fluid.

There was some comedian I heard once that said something like “I don’t know what I was doing. Hoping for a big on/off switch set to OFF, I guess”

As a man, we are obligated to open it up and stare inside thoughtfully, maybe even poke at something, even if, nay, especially if we have absolutely no clue what the problem might be. It’s in the MANual.

The edge of the hood requires maybe 10 pounds of force to lift it up (for reference, a gallon jug of milk weighs about 9 pounds). When the hood is resting on that prop rod, you’d have to REALLY jostle the hood to get the prop rod out of place. You’ll notice if you’re jostling it that hard.

Use both hands to raise the hood up (the hood can’t fall on your fingers if none of them are down there in the landing zone). Once it’s up, use one palm to hold it up there while you use your other hand to get the prop rod in position and set the hood on it.

To close the hood:
one hand holds the prop rod while the other lifts the hood up just enough so that you can lay the prop rod down in its storage position. Then use both hands to lower the hood until it’s about 6-10 inches above its final position. and then simply drop it. It should slam shut all the way to its final, fully-closed position. If it doesn’t - if it only closes to its partially-closed position - then release the emergency catch (see lieu’s post), raise the hood a couple inches higher than last time, and drop it again.

There’s probably a couple thousand good YouTube videos on this.

:smack:

I seriously doubt there are any YouTube videos about this because it’s so ridiculously simple. I can’t imagine anyone having an issue raising and propping a typical car hood unless they had severe physical or mental disabilities, or are 3 feet tall. Is this a serious post? :dubious:

I’d suggest returning the windshield washer fluid you already bought. Instead, go to a chain or independent auto parts store and ask the person (male or female) at the counter for assistance. I’ll bet they’d be happy to help. (Edited to add, assuming you buy the stuff from them.)

You do have to be careful, the hood can be pretty heavy. Especially the kind that aren’t supported by springs.

Yep, they exist, here’s one sample

You underestimate the size of the internet and the mundaneness of the videos people are willing to make and upload. FWIW, instructional videos are very popular.

here’s a professionally made one.

Here’s 212,000 results on how to open a car hood. Granted, many of them don’t have anything to do with how to actually open the real hood of a real car in a normal way - but some of them do. tweaking the search terms might get more/better results; that was just a first attempt that took about five seconds.

I would recommend you ask for help. If you’re unsure, it would be best to have someone there with you. Ask a friend or neighbor or pretty much anyone else to show you how to open the hood and add new fluid.

That wire that holds the hood up is plenty strong, but you need to make sure it’s properly secured to the hood. It’s not always clear where it goes. I’ve been working on cars for a while and I’m not always sure how to latch it the first time I do it.

And you also want to make sure you’re putting the fluid into the right tank. There will be several places fluid could be added. You wouldn’t want to put it in the wrong one. Once you see where it goes you’ll understand, but it may not be obvious the first time you do it.

If you have anyone who can show you, that would be best. Most auto parts stores like Pep Boys and AutoZone will gladly help you with small things like adding washer fluid, changing wiper blades, etc.

That’s good.

But what about the car?

As with all generalizations, this is wrong. Not all cars have a bright blue cap on the windshield washer reservoir. The one on my Buick is black and I think the one on my Saturn is yellow.

read your car owners manual, it has lots of important stuff. your car and maybe your life depend on it.

there will be in a maintenance section how to open and secure the hood, where to put washer fluid and how to close and secure the hood.