Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

New Col. Sanders - KFC Tries Again

KFC is replacing those somewhat weird commercials featuring Darrell Hammond with a brand new set of somewhat weird commercials featuring Norm Maconald as the "real" Col. Sanders.

Quote:
"Other than not quite looking like him, his voice being different, and his inability to cook the world's best chicken, we thought Norm was the perfect choice to play the Real Colonel. I think the fans will agree," says Kevin Hochman, chief marketing officer for KFC U.S.
The KFC guy said the response to Hammond's ads had been "80 percent positive, 20 percent hate it," which was okay, because previously everybody had been indifferent about KFC. I think this is a prime example of doubling down on an idea that wasn't that good to start with.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM

Next month, Dennis Miller.

The next, Chris Rock (same white hair and glasses).

Just keep rolling through the various surviving SNL players.

Except Victoria Jackson. She's fucking crazy.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM

I thought the Darrell Hammond colonel was weird, and I'm sure Norm will ramp up the weirdness. But I don't hate the idea. KFC is saying, "you thought that was a bad idea? Wait til you see this..." And it might be funny. To be honest, a Chris Rock colonel has a lot of potential to be hilarious.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:56 PM

Pure genius! That had to be what were going for all along!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullsterx View Post
Pure genius! That had to be what were going for all along!
There's a part of me that thinks so.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 months there's another commercial with, like, Colin Quinn as the Col.

"Hey uh....I'm Col. Sanders and (shrug) you know, the 5 dollar fill-up box is the perfect dinner"

3 months later its Dana Carvey. Then they have some super-commercial with them all.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:08 PM

A sneering Denis Leary colonel would be just creepy enough for their ad campaign.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

The knowledge that Harland Sanders was a real person and he died in 1980 kind of puts me off this whole campaign. Reviving a fictional character is one thing. Hiring actors to impersonate a person who died - and making jokes about it - seems in poor taste.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 PM

Norm MacDonald as Col. Sanders?!?!? Norm Norm Norm, you are never going to live this down.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The knowledge that Harland Sanders was a real person and he died in 1980 kind of puts me off this whole campaign. Reviving a fictional character is one thing. Hiring actors to impersonate a person who died - and making jokes about it - seems in poor taste.
Creepy, if you ask me!

I wonder if the Colonel's estate had any input on the campaign.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Now, if they'd only get the quality back.

The use the fry oil too long, and they let the chicken sit for too long under the lights. Not only that but KFC is not very good at checking and enforcing their rules, so both get even longer under a cheap-ass manager.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Those ads were so weird. I had no idea they were supposed to be funny. I t thought they were just weird.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Norm MacDonald as Col. Sanders?!?!? Norm Norm Norm, you are never going to live this down.
Here's what I think Norm's persona is going to express: "Yeah yeah you and I both know that I'm Norm MacDonald in a hideous white suit, but hey, whaddya gonna do."
Old 08-17-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Here's what I think Norm's persona is going to express: "Yeah yeah you and I both know that I'm Norm MacDonald in a hideous white suit, but hey, whaddya gonna do."
It's gotta be a bigger paycheck than that state-minimum car insurance outfit he was shilling for.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:23 PM

If the next Colonel Sanders is Phil Hartman or John Belushi, it will get really creepy.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
If the next Colonel Sanders is Phil Hartman or John Belushi, it will get really creepy.
That reminded of this:

[Paraphrasing]

The Blues Brothers: "Elvis and the Colonel are here!?! Lets go see them!"

[They get out of the stage and open a door] [Elvis and Colonel Sanders are eating chicken.]

Elvis: "Live from New York, It's Saturday Night!"

Virtually the only funny bit in the mess that was the movie Wired, about the life of John Belushi.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 08-17-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Graphite is a great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Those ads were so weird. I had no idea they were supposed to be funny. I t thought they were just weird.
The Darrell Hammond ads weren't meant to be funny. And they weren't.

The 80% positive/20% negative was bullshit from the company. I'd doubt 50/50.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 PM
BANNED

I really liked the Darrel Hammond 'Colonel Sanders-as-semi-senile-old-coot' ones, but I didn't think for a second that campaign would be successful. Smart, clever, original ads never sell product. I have to say I love these Norm Macdonald meta-ones even more! Sooooooo, I don't know what. Other than now I want some chicken...

Also I'm amazed that Macdonald is a much more passable Col. Sanders than I was expecting him to be!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
Also I'm amazed that Macdonald is a much more passable Col. Sanders than I was expecting him to be!
Yeah, if you expect Col. Sanders to be 6'1".
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The point was to get a reaction. The point was to go viral, to get people to talk about it on a message board. They don't give a shit what your response is -- "that's weird" "that's hilarious" "that's dumb" -- marketing has kind of moved past that. A lot of brands these days are like that kid in elementary school that would eat an old jar of mayonnaise for a buck. If you paid attention to them, they would do anything.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
So they were making fun of the original colonel sanders? I could never figure it out.

Revive the character but keep the original spirit alive.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Well they could just use CGI footage of the actual Colonel Sanders. And they could even take the CGI a step further and create a Colonel Sanders that's a human/chicken hybrid that goes around feeding parts of his own body to people.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well they could just use CGI footage of the actual Colonel Sanders.
Back in the day, the good Colonel made some commercials himself. Here's one from 1969:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwURoueDzFo

Hell, I remember when he was Bob Barker's guest on Truth or Consequences back around 1966!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM

At the KFC marketing meeting:

"So how did those Colonel ads with Hammond go over with the public?"
"Well, about 50% of our test audience didn't understand what we were going for. They said the were, quote, 'weird'."
"So the other 50% liked them?"
"Yes."
"Well, that's good."
"Um.. They said they liked them because they were funny."
"Funny?"
"Yes."
"But they weren't supposed to be... Funny."
"Yes, I know."
"So, where do we go from here?"
"I say we go with the funny angle. Get some other ex SNL members to be the Colonel also. See if that Norm guy is available."
Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Are you guys seriously suggesting that the Hammond spots weren't intended to be funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZflhZNRqSU

Whether you find it funny or not, it is inarguable that these spots are going for humor.

Last edited by Frylock; 08-17-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well they could just use CGI footage of the actual Colonel Sanders.
I think they should go with an over-the-top animated Col. Sanders. Make him an OUTRAGEOUS stereotype, like the Frito Bandito.

Y'know, have him crouching in the watermelon patch with a shotgun, waiting for the revenooers and the dam' yankees to come prowling around for his delicious fried chicken, and then peppering them with buckshot.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
"Hey uh....I'm Col. Sanders and (shrug) you know, the 5 dollar fill-up box is the perfect dinner"
Hey, I had a $5 Fill Up Box just the other day. Considering the circumstances, it was the perfect dinner.

I didn't go for the "new" Old Colonel at all--I got a very creepy vibe from that guy. Norm can only be an improvement. If he doesn't pan out they should give serious consideration to Gilbert Gottfried.

Last edited by blondebear; 08-17-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I bet the deceased Col. Sanders is rolling in his grave like rotisserie chicken.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Graphite is a great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Are you guys seriously suggesting that the Hammond spots weren't intended to be funny?

Whether you find it funny or not, it is inarguable that these spots are going for humor.
I'll argue against the company going for humor.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post

Well, they were funny, but maybe not "funny ha ha".

I liked Hammond as the Colonel. Him being a little "off" made it work. If they just had someone impersonating the deceased Harland Sanders it would have been much weirder.

Bringing in Norm MacDonald, though, is just genius.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 AM

Based on a reading of the Colonel's wikipedia page, it sounds like he was quite the character. If Norm started cussing and fighting with everyone, it sounds like it would be a pretty good impression.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I think they should go with an over-the-top animated Col. Sanders. Make him an OUTRAGEOUS stereotype, like the Frito Bandito.

Y'know, have him crouching in the watermelon patch with a shotgun, waiting for the revenooers and the dam' yankees to come prowling around for his delicious fried chicken, and then peppering them with buckshot.
Didn't they have a cartoon Colonel for a while with Randy Quaid doing the voice? That'll make Norm the third SNL alum to portray him.

If they really want to go for funny, they should show him rising out of the Dōtonbori River.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:26 AM
BANNED

I love Norm MacDonald he is the funniest guy

he can make anything funny with how he delivers it so I'm sure the new commercials will be great
Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Hell, I remember when he was Bob Barker's guest on Truth or Consequences back around 1966!
Couldn't find Truth or Consequences, but here he is on What's My Line?--not as a mystery guest, but just as a regular plain old "guess the job" guest, even though he had his iconic white suite and goatee look. Ah, the days when no one knew who he was.

He was also on I've Got a Secret at around the same time. He seemed to be making the rounds of panel shows, and again no one recognized him.

I saw one of the Norm McDonald spots on TV yesterday evening. I kind of like them, if only because they portray the Colonel as more sensible rather than the doddering old codger that Hammond seemed to be playing. It does a bit more for Sanders's dignity.

I join others in wondering if there are more ex-SNL Colonels to come.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey The Heavy View Post
Didn't they have a cartoon Colonel for a while with Randy Quaid doing the voice? That'll make Norm the third SNL alum to portray him.
Yeah, and I hated those commercials way more than these last two campaigns (had no idea it was Randy Quaid doing the voice). In particular I hated the way they ended with him 'getting down & funky with the kids' with his godawful "Go Colonel!, Go Colonel!" chant. The absolute epitome of corporate cluelessness & desperation in clumsily trying to 'youth-ify' an established corporate brand. Next I figured he was gonna start rapping, then I'd put a bullet in my head.

These last two have genuine originality to them, but as I said that almost never moves product. Since I love Norm Macdonald though I find his little shrug after claiming to be 'the real' Colonel absolutely hilarious!!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM

I will buy their chicken as soon as they get Tina Fey as the Col. Sanders.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Normally I fast forward through commercials, including the latest KFC commercials, and from what I saw from the Darrel Hammond commercials I was at least familiar with what they were.

Last week I was fast-forwarding and the KFC commercial seemed, well, "different". It was the new Norm McDonald commercial, which made me stop and back up and watch the entire commercial. Maybe that's the point - make it different enough to get me to watch it at least.

Frankly I think it's brilliant. I'm looking forward to other SNL alums doing them, and like someone else mentioned earlier, a SNL Colonel reunion commercial in a year or so might be a real hoot.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'll certainly argue against their acheiving humor!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I admit I have no idea how such an argument would go. The thing I linked to, at least, is manifestly attempting to be funny. There's no part of it that is not part of a joke, albeit some of these jokes are of the very "meta-" type.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:07 PM

I eat KFC about once a decade, if there's nothing better. Got nothing AGAINST them, I just like Popeye's and Church's better.

That being said, I remember a living man named Colonel Sanders, and having cartoons and comedians portray this man creeps me out. Particularly the one with the creepy little laugh, which made me think "child molester disguised as Colonel Sanders."

And now we have a new one, who is less creepy, and makes me think, "former comedian dressed up as Colonel Sanders, who resembles the real thing somewhat less than the child molester did."

The idea of cycling through multiple Colonels, although I think it's a clever idea as far as marketing and word of mouth goes, still strikes me as kind of disrespectful to the real man. Then again, if they get Chris Rock to do it, I'd have to admit that would be blackly humorous in a multiply ironic way. Assuming Rock ain't too proud to put on the white suit...

...but I also think it's too clever an idea for ad execs to have come up with. I'm more inclined to think people like me complained "that guy sounds like a child molester," and simply substituted a new actor.

On the other hand, shuffling actors every couple months IS a pretty valid concept...
Old 08-18-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wang-Ka View Post
I eat KFC about once a decade, if there's nothing better. Got nothing AGAINST them, I just like Popeye's and Church's better.

That being said, I remember a living man named Colonel Sanders, and having cartoons and comedians portray this man creeps me out. Particularly the one with the creepy little laugh, which made me think "child molester disguised as Colonel Sanders."

And now we have a new one, who is less creepy, and makes me think, "former comedian dressed up as Colonel Sanders, who resembles the real thing somewhat less than the child molester did."

The idea of cycling through multiple Colonels, although I think it's a clever idea as far as marketing and word of mouth goes, still strikes me as kind of disrespectful to the real man. Then again, if they get Chris Rock to do it, I'd have to admit that would be blackly humorous in a multiply ironic way. Assuming Rock ain't too proud to put on the white suit...

...but I also think it's too clever an idea for ad execs to have come up with. I'm more inclined to think people like me complained "that guy sounds like a child molester," and simply substituted a new actor.

On the other hand, shuffling actors every couple months IS a pretty valid concept...
You said "child molester" three times. That in itself is a bit creepy
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Based on a reading of the Colonel's wikipedia page, it sounds like he was quite the character. If Norm started cussing and fighting with everyone, it sounds like it would be a pretty good impression.
Yeah. Based on some biographies I've read and seen on TV he could be kind of a prick. I'm thinking he might not be too happy with people impersonating and making fun of him.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Norm MacDonald is a "long" format comedian. He usually doesn't work well in "short" format. His humor takes several minutes to build in standup and skit forms.

At least as far as the general public goes.

I remember his appearances on Letterman years ago. He would come out and tell killer jokes that I would laugh out loud at. Crickets from the audience. But after a minute they start chuckling, the real laughter, then big stuff at the end.

And this was after he had been on SNL for a while and was a "known" comic.

It got better eventually. E.g., his appearance near the end of Letterman's run. But still not a style that works well in 30 seconds or less.

As far as playing the Colonel with dignity goes, we can pretty much forget that.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Norm MacDonald
He's on the satellite radio comedy station now and then. Pretty funny.

I saw him on Who wants to be a Millionaire some years back. He did really well though he walked on the million dollar question (and then it turned out he had known the answer! ) He should have choked the shit out of Regis!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 PM

I'm surprised they haven't gone to a creepy CGI Col, like that bizarre CGI Orville Redenbacher that existed in commercials for a short time, but will live on in nightmares for years to come.

There was cutesy cartoon version of the Col. for a while, I'm aware, but I'm talking creepy uncanny valley type shit here. Seems like the sort of thing some marketing douchebag will come up with eventually to justify his/her existence.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
but I'm talking creepy uncanny valley type shit here. Seems like the sort of thing some marketing douchebag will come up with eventually to justify his/her existence.
You mean like The King?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
You mean like The King?
No, not at all. All hail the King. Nothing uncanny valley about a giant mask, anyway.

Here's one of the Orville ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn4p213Zg8
Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
I will buy their chicken as soon as they get Tina Fey as the Col. Sanders.
I stopped watching SNL twenty years ago, but this would make for a really funny (if maybe too obscure) cold-open season premiere sketch! They could keep going successively further back, eventually having Chevy play the Colonel, being that he's the right age now! Course I doubt he'd do it, being that he's also an asshole.

As far as being disrespectful to Harlan Sanders, I recall reading that he became somewhat bitter towards KFC himself. Right after he sold the franchise to corporate owners they then, almost overnight, turned it into the mega-giant it is today. He was very comfortable, and he was also paid a nice salary to remain their pitchman, but I seem to remember reading that he felt that they had tricked him into believing that the franchise was worth much less than it turned out to be...
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Except Victoria Jackson. She's fucking crazy.
ESPECIALLY Victoria Jackson!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
I love Norm MacDonald he is the funniest guy

he can make anything funny with how he delivers it so I'm sure the new commercials will be great
All he has to do is work in the words "whore" and "Turd Ferguson" somewhere.

(I don't know why, but Norm saying "whore" cracks me up every time.)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Here's one of the Orville ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn4p213Zg8
Now that was creepy. Apparently they were trying to capture some of that "Weekend at Bernie's" magic.