Old 04-10-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedd View Post
I realize I was just here complaining about my coworkers not having lives but . . .

I put in a vacation request, about 6 weeks in advance. My manager said OK, but the person I will be working with at the time is worried because last time I was on vacation I "disappeared."

Was I supposed to take my work with me?

If I go on vacation and still do whatever you need me to do, will I not have to use vacation days?

Is this just a difference between working for huge corporations and small companies?

I'm starting to consider calling a recruiter again.
I finally realized there's a reason why my husband's coworkers always go on cruises when they're on vacation. We''re saving for one because the last time my husband was "supposedly" on vacation...he wasn't.

I think this is more common in small companies like my husband's employer than it is in large corporations like my employer.

Last edited by kiz; 04-10-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Wouldn't it work just as well to *say* you are going on a cruise and then do whatever you actually want/can afford to do?
Old 04-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Wouldn't it work just as well to *say* you are going on a cruise and then do whatever you actually want/can afford to do?
Works for me, though we went on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean, had a balcony room for 2 people [handicap accessible] and a wonderful mostly alcohol free [less expensive, we did pop for 2 bottles of wine that lasted us the week at dinner] for $1500 a person plus tips [I think overall the tips totalled another $500 for our room steward and the dining room staff] and I think mrAru spent about $500 total on assorted souvenirs and a killer bottle of rum from the Bacardi factory [whichever it is that is only available at the factory and has your name engraved on the bottle.]

We spent about the same on the month long wander back and forth across the country we did right after he retired from the Navy - we went to California to visit his side of the family tree, and then down to Florida to hit Universal Studios. But we drove, slept in the car half the time, did 2 days in a resort in Reno Nevada so I could recover from altitude issues before staying with family [so I wouldn't be so stressed out] and grocery shopped for food instead of restaurants all the time.

It is possible to vacation for cheap, you just need to be in the right mindset to not want to go extravagant on everything. An all inclusive resort or cruise is actually good for that - on the cruise, pretty much all the soft drinks you want are included [well, coffee, tea and water, we aren't really into sodas but they have an all inclusive soda package, and you can prepurchase wine or booze packages also] and of you stick to the main dining room and the buffet, the food is included - though we did the specialty restaurant for our anniversary, I think it was like $35 per person. The room service was free except for tips, we took along a couple hundred in ones and fives for tips, planning for the whole tipping thing. I remember that the coffee house down in the main corridor was also free, with tipping for table service. I will also state that parking cost except if your vehicle was handicapped equipped [which the momvan is, with hand controls] so I can't say how much Port Newark NJ would cost for parking [we could have cheated and parked over on the military part for free ... ]

As you can tell, I am a fan of cruises as a vacation =) we had a freaking blast =) I barely left the ship, I hung out on the deck or in the room and on our balcony most of the time ... but that is what I enjoyed. mrAru had a blast wandering around on the various islands, I think he enjoyed hitting Puerto Rico without being deployed =)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 AM

I am so very very tired of people telling me how to do my job. It happens sometimes, and I know it's just part of the job, but I have one of these know-it-alls who is about to turn into a serious problem. We work at the same place, but he is basically like a client (I work on this project for another department several times a year), and this is the kind of client that would get fired by an outside firm. This project has always been a nightmare, but since he took over it's gotten worse every time. I'm a little too easygoing sometimes, and I think it might be time to unleash the bitch that I'm trying very hard to stuff back down inside me. Hopefully I'll still have a job when we're all standing in the middle of a pile of smoking rubble.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 AM

Sounds like me and this hole who got the completely unwarranted "promotion" as part of the management restructuring here. As long as he leaves me alone he can keep thinking we get along.

Just found out tonight there's an attorney involved with all the people who quit in February, and anyone still here who has a problem with current management. The Board President got involved after all, and an atty on the Board brought in an employment litigator (or something like that, I don't have all the details yet) who is interviewing everyone who wants to speak about the problem.

I think everyone assumed I knew so no one told me. It's his last week here so not sure he will have time to take an interview with me before leaving town.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
I'd do that but my husband wouldn't. Sometimes he can be too honest for his own good :/

I was like him, i.e., "the indispensable employee", when I was younger. Hungry for money, never took a vacation, would work 12 hours a day 6 days a week (which I actually did for a time) without question. When I finally burnt out I burnt out hard and fast. I nearly gave myself a nervous breakdown, tbh. I don't want the same thing happening to him.

A friend of ours thinks he's making himself indispensable because he's petrified he's going to be laid off like he was right before the recession. I can understand that. OTOH (and I've told him this countless times) it's lonely being a "work widow", so to speak. It's gotten to the point where, even if I make reservations somewhere, "something" will come up and he won't be able to go.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I cannot wait to hear the explanation for how our inspectors have spent the last three years comparing a certain part number on a drawing to the part number on the actual part and mistaking "#19" for "#3".

Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I cannot wait to hear the explanation for how our inspectors have spent the last three years comparing a certain part number on a drawing to the part number on the actual part and mistaking "#19" for "#3".

Are they all legally blind? That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of. Even if you squint really hard and stand on your head, those numbers look nothing alike.

This reminds me of the time I checked into a hotel, and was told my room number was 520. I roamed around the hotel looking for this room, and there was no room with that number (also the hotel was under being renovated, so that made it even more interesting). So I went back downstairs, and it turns out that the person who wrote down the room number is dyslexic, and the room number was actually 250. Is this covered by the ADA?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I got a partial explanation today...apparently the "#19" that's on the parts is a reference to the revision level of the drawing that was in use at the time. Apparently there was some unwritten understanding many years ago with this manufacturer that they would stamp that revision level on the parts. OK...but that still doesn't explain their failure to stamp the entire part number...or our inspectors insisting they had seen the full part number. Not all of them would have been aware of that little 'agreement'.

We have a few dyslexic inspectors as well...there's always a flip-flopped number recorded somewhere in the inspection forms. One guy's issues extend into decimal places too -- and that can create complications, because you're never sure if he just recorded something wrong, or if there really is a problem. There are also a few people in the company who are completely incapable of describing a problem in a few sentences or statements, as required by the part discrepancy system...what they produce is basically word salad. When this happens, I have to go talk to the person involved to find out the problem.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:19 PM

I got an email from a user today with a screenshot of an empty username and password field and the comment, "What do I do here?"

How the heck am I supposed to respond non-snarkily to that?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:27 PM

'Tell your supervisor that he made a mistake in hiring you and you need to be let go immediately.'
Old 04-18-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I got an email from a user today with a screenshot of an empty username and password field and the comment, "What do I do here?"

"You need to enter your ID and password"

If they still don't get it, as one of my managers would say;

"Please help me understand why you are having issues signing in. Do you not have an ID or password?"
Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I suggest pointing and laughing.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:02 PM

Just spoke with the attorney representing my workplace and exploring the inappropriate environment that's developed with current management. It's one thing to commiserate and complain with coworkers. It was pretty uncomfortable feeling like a tattletale to an attorney. I'm not sure how much help I was at all. At least I can say I did it. Would have always been wondering whether should have, if I hadn't.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:13 AM

The single fastest way to piss me off at work and ensure we'll have an unhappy day is to attack me before I've had a chance to sign in and get some caffeine in me. The force multiplier in this being when you're FUCKING WRONG or attacking me for something someone else did.

I've straight out told bosses never to do this, as it is a BAD IDEA™.

I have to work until 5pm every day this month. That means I vary my time on the front end - when I get in to work - to manage my time properly. I've been doing this for the four years I've been here and gotten ZERO complaints from the five different managers I've had in that time or my team lead. It is a perfectly acceptable solution in everyone's eyes.

Well, until today, apparently.

Got to my desk, already a bit unhappy due to some back issues and general 'not feeling all that great', when some idiot walks up and says "YOU'RE LATE!" and demands to know why.

GO FUCK YOURSELF.

I'm not 'late' and I don't need to explain to YOU why I got here at this time. You're not my manager or my team lead, and you have no business speaking to me that way. You've been here almost as long as I have and you know damned well that this is the way I manage my time.

Oh, and when I turn on you, face full of fury and say "I'm not LATE" , it's incredibly foolish of you to say "Well, I was just wondering if you were intentionally late or if something happened to make you late."

Look you temporarily brain damaged moron, I had to be here 'early' the last two days. I'll be coming in at 8 fucking 30 the rest of this week to make up for that, and that is NOT 'late'. I could be in at that time every fucking day with a 30 minute lunch. Hell, last Friday I came in at 9 and no one said a word, because they know that's the way it works.

Now get out of my face, get out of my cube, go back to yours and do some fucking work.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM

And when you endlessly come back at me on a separate issue to the point where I snap "FUCKING KNOCK IT OFF!!" and walk away - at work no less, you should probably get the clue that you've done enough pissing me off for the day and should stop trying to hang around my cube and talk.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Dearest manager and supervisor: I understand these parts are very important. We've been struggling to get answers out of the vendor and/or manufacturer since last September, and after multiple visits from vendor and manufacturer reps, we're still no closer to an answer. I know that the customer is very anxious about these parts -- that's completely understandable, and I'm sure customer service has been getting an earful about it.

The thing is, I can't seem to get as angry about this issue as you two are. I'm an engineer; I'm extremely interested in why these parts aren't working the way the manual -- and fluid dynamics, for that matter -- say they should. But I just can't get myself worked up about these enough to yell at the account manager and sales engineer who were sent in today by the vendor and manufacturer, respectively. It's not their fault that the parts aren't working -- they're as puzzled as we are. The sales engineer left at the end of the meeting without a word, but the account manager did let me know that he was very embarrassed about the whole situation.

Also, I'm still wondering how this guy got promoted over me.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM

Ok, coworker, having had some time to think about yesterday.

You get into these obsessive modes once or twice a year where you keep hammering something over and over again, ignoring anything the other person has said (or worse, continually telling them they're wrong) while you repeat the same (already answered) questions over and over and/or monologing at length.

All the while you are completely oblivious to the obvious visual and audio cues that you are seriously angering the other person.

Hell, last year you went on and on about some obscure PC stuff, telling our team leader and I that we were wrong every time we opened our mouths and monologueing right over the top of both of us to the point we BOTH turned and walked away, both of us visibly annoyed with you. And then you followed me into my cube and kept going until I walked away and didn't come back for 10-15 minutes, only to find you in his cube still going.

So my question is this (and this is what I will ask our boss if you complain to her about me and she talks to me):

Just what will it take to snap you out of this obsessive mode and make you realize that you're being an ass? Should I throw up a Time-Out hand signal? Should I just walk away every time - even when I'm at my desk doing work and you won't leave me alone? (because I've done that and it just starts up again when I come back). Should I look you straight in the eye and say "ok, you can stop now"?

What kind of clue can I give you short of snapping at you in anger?

Because honestly, nothing else seems to work.

You're a great guy with a bright future ahead of you, but you need to change this behavior before some future boss takes offense and fires your ass for it.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:46 PM

User: I got an error message when I tried to run some SQL! I need this to work! It worked yesterday. Fix it ASAP!!!
<screenshot inserted here>

Me: Select is spelled S-E-L-E-C-T, not S-L-E-C-T. Let me know if you have any other problems.

I guess I should be thankful I got the screenshot at least.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
User: I got an error message when I tried to run some SQL! I need this to work! It worked yesterday. Fix it ASAP!!!
<screenshot inserted here>

Me: Select is spelled S-E-L-E-C-T, not S-L-E-C-T. Let me know if you have any other problems.
Love those. Doesn't anyone actually READ the error message before punting?

Had one the other day where two of the fields they listed don't exist on the table they're referencing. Error message said as much. Then *I* said as much.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 PM

Do we really want someone who has aged way past rainbow hair being appropriate, and missing a couple key teeth, to be a representative of our company, who deals with the public and other professional offices?? Bad decisions continue...

Seriously, I didn't know who this person was. Others told me to just look for the crackhead looking woman. Oh, OK, I spotted her in about 5 seconds at the last staff meeting. Really, "managers"? This is who we want representing us?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Had one the other day where two of the fields they listed don't exist on the table they're referencing. Error message said as much. Then *I* said as much.
At this point, I can only conclude that users can't read.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
It's been a while, but I used to have conversations like this regularly with some of the staff who used applications I wrote and supported.

User: I got an error message in xyz application.
Me: What were you doing when you got the error message?
User: I don't remember exactly.
Me: What was the error message?
User: I don't know, I clicked OK before I read it.
Me:
Old 04-27-2016, 09:43 AM

What I'd like to know is, why do we have users who if a batch of file transfers fails open a ticket for each file.

If I was allowed to, I'd give them a warning and next time open up that desk for someone who isn't an imbecile. Guess that's why I'm not allowed to.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
It's been a while, but I used to have conversations like this regularly with some of the staff who used applications I wrote and supported.

User: I got an error message in xyz application.
Me: What were you doing when you got the error message?
User: I don't remember exactly.
Me: What was the error message?
User: I don't know, I clicked OK before I read it.
Me:
Heh. Is it possible/practical to write a subroutine to an OS that exports a screenshot to a dedicated folder whenever "OK" is clicked in a dialog box?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM

Dear Person Who Makes the Schedule:

Can you please please for the love of God and little baby Jesus schedule a person who is capable of coming in at 7 a.m. as my backup instead of letting Miss Thing come in at 8 on the days we work together? I notice that she's fully capable of showing up at 7 on Sundays and Mondays, my days off. Why, then, can she not come in at 7 on Thursdays and Fridays? Don't let her use that "I need to take my daughter to school" excuse because last time I checked Monday was a school day as well.

Hate,
Me
Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 AM

The problem is not in the employees but the training. We were put on this because we are the best of the best, but the TWO-FUCKING-DAYS of training left us with not the slightest idea of what the call was about and what we should do. Because we are professionals we caught on right away, but that's down to us, not you. But we made it up when real calls came in, using our half-assed training and help from others.

And when it changed I first saw what it's about and what we are supposed to say (with large differences from what we were taught) WHEN WE GOT OUR TEST CALLS! I said fuck it and grilled the tester when I had a question--I'm a warm body; are they going to fire me? (clue: not a chance)

It takes 60-some hours of my life on this, but if I factor in my commute times with old jobs I'm doing as well as my last job in my real career. Just treat us as the pros you are paying for, assume we will pick it up from a couple test calls, and quit wasting our time. We know what we're doing; it's why you hired us, FFS.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:58 PM

Undear co-worker:

I understand why you don't want it to be your problem to fix if we don't have enough employees scheduled in another department.

But guess what? We're all in this together, and you being a whiny baby isn't helping anything.

Especially when you huddle over your cell phone with assorted others and play whatever the game of the week/month/year is.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

While I certainly understand that the one-line part names in our corporate database sometimes leave a lot to be desired, engineering makes every effort to ensure that the larger item description field contains detailed notes on each part, right down to where the customer will install it. Please make an effort to read these item descriptions the next time you get confused and feel inclined to yell at me because "there ain't nuthin' on this paper sayin' this part is a bearing" when, in fact, the paper says "spherical roller" and the description field says "bearing, spherical roller".

Old 05-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quick notes to my co-workers:
Co-worker 1: You are not a ninja. You are a middle aged cubicle worker. Even when you make karate chop motions toward your computer screen when you feel you've done a good job and are proud of your work, you're still not a ninja.

Co-worker 2: "It's the best plan for me" is not a selling point. I've seen you talk people out of a good decision by going on about how it's going to benefit you. Talk about the merits of your plan from their POV. If they start to agree with the plan, do not then emphasize how great this plan is for you, especially not at length, especially while not also highlighting the parts that are bad for them but great for you. It's not a successful strategy.

Co-worker 3: You're in many ways an excellent co-worker, but you format like a serial killer. I have no idea what:
The quick brown FOX jumped overthe lazy dog
means. Obviously, there are the words themselves, but what part of the sentence am I supposed to care about? Does red mean to do this right away or to never do it or just that it was the next color on the row? I've seen you use it in all three circumstances. In the same document. What matters, the size? bold? colors? italics? what?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Dear customer service asshat: just because you didn't understand the vendor's report doesn't mean they're wrong. You've admitted to me repeatedly that you don't understand the basis for the analytical method selected for these calculations, yet you continue to question the report and insist that there are massive errors. WTF.

Also, would you please review revision 0 of the report before you start ranting about all the "stuff" you think the vendor added? Every single thing you've pointed out so far was present in the original version.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:02 PM

Dear co-worker:

No, we do not have the awesomest job in the world.

Nor was our chore today the awesomest job in the building today.

Such is life.

Grumbling, making moaning noises, disappearing for large amounts of time for no apparent reason, whining to your mother . . .none of these speed up the chore or make it more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Suck it up, or get a different job.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Maybe the user is elderly and a newbie. Just say'in...
Old 05-05-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Grumbling, making moaning noises, disappearing for large amounts of time for no apparent reason, whining to your mother . . .none of these speed up the chore or make it more enjoyable for the rest of us.
Reminds me of this outdoor party I used to go to back in the 90's. On a farm, camping in his 5 acre yard.

He hired the neighbor boy - about 12-ish, to mow the lawn before his guests arrived. The kid had agreed to do it a month or more in advance, but when the day came, he didn't want to do it. His grandfather was there to make him do it and boy, did that kid drag it out and do it as slow as possible just for spite.

When he finished, a lot of us were already there. He steps off the tractor and immediately complains about spending ALL DAY doing this instead of playing with a friend. We all laughed at him and his grandfather clued him in - "You could have done it in two hours and been over to (name)'s house after lunch. But instead you had to pout and make it take all day. You did this to yourself."
Old 05-06-2016, 08:00 AM

Chimera,

Yes, exactly. Yesterday's chore is one that needs to be done routinely, and yesterday just happened to be one where two of us were told to make it our priority for the day. And so we did. And actually, I didn't think it worked out that badly-- sometimes there are technology hiccups that didn't occur yesterday. Or the space where one must do the chore is too hot, too cold, too full of customers. Or too empty, and one gets bored.

Well, co-worker apparently got bored and annoyed, but once his mother turned her attention to her job rather than interfering with his, my day wasn't so bad, apart from the annoyance of having a helper who accomplished as little as possible.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Maybe the user is elderly and a newbie. Just say'in...
They're in a job in a field where elderly or not, they should be familiar with the concept of a login screen and login credentials.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Dear people who seem to own me:

These "bursts," in which we work 60+ hours, were supposed to be short, a week, maybe three, at a time. You gave me Sunday and Monday evening, after my regular shift, as a break. I'm tired, and though I don't have much of a life, I'm wavering between greed and "I'm too old for this shit." Do you understand that? Greed, my most basic motivator, is fighting with laziness, and all I can say is that I need a new book of crossword puzzles because we are over-staffed for the client's need.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 PM

I stopped having coffee with a coworker who constantly bad-mouthed others in our department. Not just work rants, but angry screeds of very personal gossip.

Well, guess who's a new target of those screeds?

Sigh... I'm tempted to take people aside and tell them "Take everything she says with a salt lick." But I'm trying to sit back and hope they know that, or that it just blows over. I'd feel slimy getting in the mud with her.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
Why the fuck does it take you fuckers three weeks to process my invoice , then tell me that I forgot a friggin semi-colon, or an OK from the janitor, or some other such bullshit, so now it'll be another three weeks before I get paid.
I had this happen once on a somewhat large reimbursement check (which I wouldn't have needed to be reimbursed for personally paying it if they had pre-paid it like we had arranged for them to do but they didn't do), and they told me exactly what the minor error was, so they knew what the correct information was ... so when I re-submitted the corrected form, I added a charge for 1.5% interest per month from the date of the original expenditure to the date they told me that my expense reimbursement check would be ready. Copied the wording exactly from that on our standard invoices.

Then I went and told my boss about it, because I expected he's hear about it. I said that I really didn't expect them to pay the interest, but I wanted to make a point to them. And we both laughed about it.

Turned out they did call him, and he actually backed me up on it, telling them they had to pay it. So they called his boss, a vice president, and complained. And grand-boss also said they had to pay it, and further that it should be charged to their departments' budget, rather than mine. (I hadn't realized that both boss & grand-boss had to submit expense reports much more often than peons like me, and they had annoying personal experience with this. So they were happy to make an issue of it, when they were 'standing up for one of their employees'.)
Old 05-10-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I stopped having coffee with a coworker who constantly bad-mouthed others in our department. Not just work rants, but angry screeds of very personal gossip.

Well, guess who's a new target of those screeds?

Sigh... I'm tempted to take people aside and tell them "Take everything she says with a salt lick." But I'm trying to sit back and hope they know that, or that it just blows over. I'd feel slimy getting in the mud with her.
Ah, you have one of those, too, I see,

I skirt around mine by not saying anything more than the banal "Hi, how are you?" The less information I reveal, the less ammunition the gossip monger has.

We had another one of these in my department a couple of years ago. I was the supposed "confidant" because this person would tell me all the gossip. Turned out I was the most gossiped about, according to my other coworkers.

That coworker has since left the company and has recently endured a personal crisis. None of us have any sympathy.

Last edited by kiz; 05-10-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM

I have two today:

1. Stupid laptop design where the DVD tray eject button is easily bumped or pressed when I carry the thing around to meetings. Coworkers say they have the same problem with theirs, so it must be a model design flaw. Yesterday the tray popped out as I was carrying the laptop against my side, and it bent and broke. My ace IT team replaced it quickly, but the new one continues in it's predecessor's tradition: it's popped open about 3 times in 4 hours. Despite being taped shut. I'm going to untape it and just pop the entire thing out and walk around with a laptop with a gaping hole in it. Safer that way, I think.

2. Bigger peeve. We have a contracts team who... you guessed it, helps potential customers decide if they want to buy our services. They do this by sending them information about said services. For some reason our executive team apparently doesn't know this team exists, and couldn't be arsed to ask, so they've asked our team of analysts to send documentation to a potential customer. It's not that I don't like being helpful. It's that they told us to send X info, but not Y details and etc and blahblah. I politely suggested to my boss that the contracts team handles this exact type of thing weekly, so they may be able to help. My peeve is executives who are too fucking clueless (apparently) about who does what in the company, and too fucking lazy to ask. It's not a big company, we all know each other by first names.

If you want a metaphor, it's like if someone asked the accounting team to perform a marketing task.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:59 PM

In the time it took you to write an e-mail asking me to change an abbreviation - literally substituting one letter for another, you could've made the change yourself and had time to spare.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
If you want a metaphor, it's like if someone asked the accounting team to perform a marketing task.
Wouldn't that be a simile? or an analogy?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:41 PM

It would be like if you asked the accounting team to make an analogy.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 PM

I just spent 20 minutes with a coworker, moving flammable objects and materials away from where they were leaning against not just the building's electrical breaker box, but the electrical mains, too. Not to mention the water on the floor directly under the mains. Since we're abandoning this building in a couple months, no way the floor is getting sealed.

Took pictures of the problem, before and after, and sent them to management - stating the after picture is how it needs to stay or risk burning the building down.

I'm tired of the dumb around here.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 PM

At about 5:30 I told the floor supervisor, the first time I saw him since 2nd shift started, that my wife had gone to the emergency room this afternoon and had been admitted, and that I wanted to leave at 7:00. "Oh no, this program is vital! I'll have to ask my manager!" That was the last time I saw him before I just up and left at 7:15 (yeah, I took one last call). I'll probably get in trouble, at least with him. His manager, though an idiot, was Wife's manager before she took ill, so time will tell.

ETA: The vital job I was performing most of the shift was playing video poker while waiting for a call. For this I get a $4 shift differential and I'm on time and a half from Thursday at five, through Friday 8-12, then Saturday 8-5 or -7.

Last edited by dropzone; 05-10-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Boss-man can eat a bag of dicks.

I have provided write-ups for meeting minutes going on 5 years now. Suddenly they're not good enough and instead of providing direction he just said to look at previous minutes for examples. Uh, where do you think I got the first version I sent you? Copied and pasted from the previous one and then revised.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Boss-man can eat a bag of dicks.
Waiting for the rest of the song...

Bag O' Dicks
by Blind Lemon Meringue

Recorded live on the front porch of
Ol' Maggie's Brothel, 1932

Boss-man.../
Ah say-a baw-aww-awwssssss-man/
Boss-man can eat a bag of dicks,
Uhhh-huhhhh...

Old 05-12-2016, 03:51 PM

We have a million dollar piece of parcel sorting equipment and it bugs the hell out of me how problems with just some small part can bring the whole thing down.

Like we have had problems with this one drive roller for the past several days and no matter how we tighter or loosen it, it still locks up. So we finally took it all apart and found out it was a faulty drive motor. We replaced it with a new one and then found out that one was also bad.

The people in charge better damn well be on the ass of the parts supplier about this to the level they bitch at us for crap like bad clock rings.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:53 PM

Another gripe - calibration. We calibrate the parcel sorting machine by running these boxes thru and see if it hits the system correctly and goes to the proper bins, but the thing is, we run tons of things besides boxes (bags, stacks of magazines, odd shaped parcels) and those might or might not sort correctly so I'm always pulling jams out of it. So I wonder why when we do the calibration we calibrate for something other than the optimal package?