Changing links?

In this thread I put a link to a product on Amazon. This morning I noticed that I had not followed the link, which I knew I had because I checked it on preview. So I clicked on it today, and it’s a link to the same product on Wal-Mart’s website.

I know I used the Amazon link because it was two a package of six of the items and I thought, ‘I don’t need to find a link for a single packet. I’m just showing the product.’ Also, I don’t shop at Wal-Mart and wouldn’t have chosen a Wal-Mart link. There’s nothing indicating the thread had been edited.

So why did the link change?

Went to Amazon for me.

Amazon for me, too.

You might want to clear your browser cache.

Weird. I logged out of SDMB and clear cookies for straightdope and walmart. I’m still getting a Wal-Mart link in the thread.

But did you clear the browser cache?

That is freaky if that’s really happening to you.

What is the URL you get when you hover over the link?

I deleted the cookies for straightdope and walmart. This time I closed my browser afterward. I went to the thread and on mouseover I saw that the link was pointing to amazon.com. When I clicked on it, the URL box on the browser said about:blank and there was a blank page, then it went to the Wal-Mart page.

Maybe it’s viglink?

Amazon for me as well (using Firefox 41.0.2 on Linux in case it matters).

Evidently you have been assimilated.

It goes to Amazon for me, too. To repeat what Duckster said: did you clear your browser cache? It’s different from clearing your cookies.

It also goes to Amazon for me. I suggest throwing your computer away.

Normally clearing the cookies does the trick when something is wonky. I don’t like clearing the cache because I use different usernames and passwords for everything and it would be problematic logging into certain sites. Is there a way to ‘surgically remove’ things?

I think you might be a bit confused. Sites remember your logins by leaving cookies. They’re stored differently from sites in your cache. Clearing your cache usually fixes any wonkiness with your browser.

Clearing the browser cache has nothing to do with usernames and cookies.

See 8 Ways to Clear Your Browser's Cache - wikiHow

You can also do a browser deep refresh when you are on the web page with the suspect link. Depending upon your O/S, try this key combination:
[ul]
[li]Windows <CTRL>-<F5>[/li][li]Mac/Apple: Apple + R or command + R[/li][li]Linux: F5[/li][/ul]

Difference between cache and cookies:

http://www.techcuriosity.com/resources/difference_between/difference_between_cache_and_cookies.php

OK, I went to the Develop drop-down menu and selected Empty Caches.

On mouseover in the thread, it still points to walmart.

Amazon for me using IE.

Open the dope in another browser and see where your link takes you. That will determine if the problem is with your browser or something bigger.

Goes to Amazon for me.

Wouldn’t be surprised if you have a browser hijacker

Paste the link you end up at on the Wal Mart site. A hijacker might take all retail links and send you to Wal Mart using their affiliate code and then get money if you buy.