Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eighth & Forty-Deuce
Posts: 3,761

"Preacher" Trailer- New AMC Series


Saw the trailer for this during "The Walking Dead."

They didn't really reveal much- not sure about the Cassidy casting, and is Tulip a brunette???

But to me, it looks like the series will pick up where the comics left off, and the comics will be done in flashbacks. I think this because the Kid who approaches Custer says "he used to do things," then there are flashbacks (to the car thievery and what looks like Genesis seeking Custer out).

And the bar fight scene has a much more self-assured Custer than the one bar figth he was in as a preacher in Annville.

That said, the comics implied that he'd run off with Tulip at the end of it all, and that doesn't seem to be the case in what looks like the present day as depicted in the trailer.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup; 11-02-2015 at 12:43 AM.
  #2  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Odesio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 11,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup View Post
They didn't really reveal much- not sure about the Cassidy casting, and is Tulip a brunette???
I don't really think changing Tulip's hair color is all that important.
  #3  
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Sr Siete is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I don't really think changing Tulip's hair color is all that important.
Instead of the characters on the run through the U.S., escaping from several threats, supernatural or not, it's them in a small town.

That's a big one.

Last edited by Sr Siete; 11-02-2015 at 01:37 AM.
  #4  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Sam Lowry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup View Post
But to me, it looks like the series will pick up where the comics left off, and the comics will be done in flashbacks. I think this because the Kid who approaches Custer says "he used to do things," then there are flashbacks (to the car thievery and what looks like Genesis seeking Custer out).
I don't know, trailers can be misleading. Those might not be flashbacks, just the trailer is structured that way to show that though this guy is a preacher, he's done and will do bad things, and to also show exciting action in the trailer. Gets across what type of show it is.

I do wonder exactly what the show will cover. If it's super faithful to the comic books, it seems like some of those concerned mother/religious groups would never stop protesting that it's on air.
  #5  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eighth & Forty-Deuce
Posts: 3,761
Indeed. I can't see the sex detectives or fallen angels making it to TV, to name two.

And why, when Jesse and Tulip had anywhere to go and no one to stop them, would they go back to the same type of pissant place where Jesse ended up after his will had been broken?

I'll watch episode 1 just to see where it's beginning. After that, I'll need to be impressed.
  #6  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Sr Siete is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup View Post
Indeed. I can't see the sex detectives or fallen angels making it to TV, to name two.

And why, when Jesse and Tulip had anywhere to go and no one to stop them, would they go back to the same type of pissant place where Jesse ended up after his will had been broken?

I'll watch episode 1 just to see where it's beginning. After that, I'll need to be impressed.
Indeed. Also Custer and Cassidy are clearly meeting for the first time in that cell: "What kind of a Preacher are you?"
  #7  
Old 11-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Smitty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Siete View Post
Indeed. Also Custer and Cassidy are clearly meeting for the first time in that cell: "What kind of a Preacher are you?"
Not necessarily. You could know someone for years and say to them, "What kind of X are you?", when they do something contrary to their identification with whatever X is.

I do agree that I don't see this sticking too faithfully to the comics. The stink that would be raised!
  #8  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 25,882
All I know is, if nobody ends up fucking a giant woman made of meat, I'm not watching.
  #9  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup View Post
I think this because the Kid who approaches Custer says "he used to do things,"
In the trailer, isn't the actor playing the Kid, the same actor that plays Peter Pan in the current Geico commercials?
  #10  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Half Man Half Wit's Avatar
Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup View Post
I think this because the Kid who approaches Custer says "he used to do things," then there are flashbacks (to the car thievery and what looks like Genesis seeking Custer out).
But isn't it 'used to do things before he became a preacher', thus probably not referring to the things in, well, Preacher?

And I feel like there should be a thread making guesses as to who'll play Assface...
  #11  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,184
Here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNgI2sRzr8I


So far I'm not impressed. I'll have to wait when they put out more content. But regardless I'll be checking it out when it starts airing.
  #12  
Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eighth & Forty-Deuce
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
But isn't it 'used to do things before he became a preacher', thus probably not referring to the things in, well, Preacher?

And I feel like there should be a thread making guesses as to who'll play Assface...
I read it as "before you became a preacher HERE, in this particular town."

But I could be wrong. The trailer was pretty damn disjointed.

That said, the comic had a beginning and an end. So if you're going to break containment on that, the only way I can see to do so would be as a continuation.
  #13  
Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Sr Siete is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scrappy Hero Pup View Post
I read it as "before you became a preacher HERE, in this particular town."

But I could be wrong. The trailer was pretty damn disjointed.

That said, the comic had a beginning and an end. So if you're going to break containment on that, the only way I can see to do so would be as a continuation.
I assume they are just going to have the stories come to them, instead of them moving around and finding them.

So Arseface may be the son of the local Sheriff, for instance, and instead of them going to New Orleans and meeting the annoying Goth vampire, he's the one crashing the town attracted by Cassidy, and Odin may be a local big wig, and Angels, Saint of Killers and Starr go there because of the Genesis.

It could work, I guess.
  #14  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Siete View Post
Instead of the characters on the run through the U.S., escaping from several threats, supernatural or not, it's them in a small town.

That's a big one.
The comic started off in a small town. Then they left. What makes you think that the show will; be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
But isn't it 'used to do things before he became a preacher', thus probably not referring to the things in, well, Preacher?
I think it refers to his history as a car thief and Frenchman lyncher, which happened before the main comic.
  #15  
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,184
I just want to see The Saint of Killers on the Throne of Power.
  #16  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Sr Siete is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
The comic started off in a small town. Then they left. What makes you think that the show will; be any different?
In the trailer it looks like he breaks the kid's father arm, is locked in the town's jail, and there he meets Cassidy. In the comic the scenes devoted to his time as an actual preacher in a small town are just a few pages.

Also, it makes financial sense to have any TV show in a single setting with the same cast of supporting characters.

I could be wrong, of course, and there's plenty of shows with comparable budgets and characters travelling around (the similarly-themed Supernatural, for instance) but that's the impression the teaser gave me.

Last edited by Sr Siete; 11-03-2015 at 08:22 AM.
  #17  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
I really don't have much desire to watch the show. It's definitely not going to be actual Preacher, not on non-premium cable (hell, probably not on premium cable either.)

And honestly, I'm not sure how I'd feel about the comics if I went back and read them again now. I think it might be a bit like a twelve year old kid cussing because he can, you know? Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt I'd like it as much these days.
  #18  
Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Cubsfan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,197
Preacher is my favorite comic of all time. The story was incredible and entertaining from issue #1 on. It had a very specific beginning and an unambiguous ending. I don't see how or why they would try to continue the story.

The most puzzling thing about this trailer is that it doesn't even hint at what the show is about. It would be like a trailer for The Walking Dead that showed a bunch of people running the Chicago marathon. The whole story revolved around Jesse, the Word of God and his mission to find and kill him. This trailer doesn't even hint that there is anything special about Jesse. I have no idea how this trailer could possibly spark interest in the show.
  #19  
Old 11-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Master Wang-Ka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 4,959
I don't regard Tulip's hair color or the Sex Detectives as terribly important.

I do kind of wonder about how they're going to change Cassidy, if he and Jesse meet in a jail cell.

If the Saint of Killers ain't in there, we riot.
  #20  
Old 11-07-2015, 01:21 AM
dasmoocher is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
And I feel like there should be a thread making guesses as to who'll play Assface...
Donald Trump?
  #21  
Old 11-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,131
I really doubt that they're rewriting the whole series to keep it set in one small town. But I suspect they are padding out a bunch of the sequences in the comic to fill more air time. If they followed the comic's pacing, that town would be obliterated before the second commercial break. I'm guessing instead we're going to get a couple of episodes set there before he starts moving on.

Plus, there's a scene in the trailer of Cassidy glassing some guy on an airplane. I'm guessing that jet isn't just circling a shithole town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, so they're probably going somewhere.

"I heard you used to do stuff before you were a preacher," most likely refers to Jesse's pre-collar days as a car thief, horse rustler, and general violent ne'er-do-well.

Also, Rufus Sewell should have been cast as Jesse.
  #22  
Old 11-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,610
He refused to be a horse rustler.
  #23  
Old 11-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,131
Am I misremembering that story? I thought he stole them from that fat French guy who wanted to eat them. Or was it the French guy who was stealing them, and Jesse stopped him?
  #24  
Old 11-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,610
Some other guys were stealing them, the French guy was buying them from the thieves, and Jesse rescued them.
  #25  
Old 11-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
All I know is, if nobody ends up fucking a giant woman made of meat, I'm not watching.
All I ask is a worthwhile animated GIF of "YOU ! WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR CHIN ?"
  #26  
Old 11-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Eighth & Forty-Deuce
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post

Plus, there's a scene in the trailer of Cassidy glassing some guy on an airplane. I'm guessing that jet isn't just circling a shithole town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, so they're probably going somewhere.
If that's the Grail/Masada storyline on film, that could be intriguing.
  #27  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
In the trailer, isn't the actor playing the Kid, the same actor that plays Peter Pan in the current Geico commercials?
Thomas Barbusca in both.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017