Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Should threads started by users with mental health issues have a disclaimer in the OP?

We have a number of posters that have admitted mental health issues. Some of these issues range from severe depression, Alzheimers, autism, to schizophrenia. Many of us who have interacted with these posters over time, recognize these self started threads as never ending rabbit holes, where rational discussion, thinking, etc. is thrown out the window. But it is sometimes frustrating to see well meaning posters, who are obviously unaware of the OP's history and condition, struggle and eventually well up in frustration over the lack of understanding of the OP's condition. And sometimes it can be downright hilarious.

But should there be a required disclaimer that a Mod, attaches to the OP of these threads to advise other posters of the minefield they are about to enter? Now the practical application of this would be cumbersome for the Mods, but they don't get paid for doing nothing.

This is more of a rant, than a true suggestion, but if a mod thinks this should be moved to the ATMB, forum, let it fly!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

So, maybe a little cuckoo icon next to the user's name?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM

That's a crazy idea.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM

Yes, DrDeth should tell everyone that he is a mouth breather in every one of his posts so we know what we are dealing with.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Labeling posters as to their mental condition, without permission from said posters, and without independent confirmation from a medical professional?

What could possibly go wrong?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM

First of all, autism is a neurological disorder, not a mental health issue.

Second, no. We shouldn't stigmatize posters like that. People will find out on their own, and really, how hard is it to make a few unnecessary posts in the name of discovery.

Third, other posters probably have mental health issues too, very serious ones, but it doesn't preclude their making intelligent posts. What you really want is not a scarlet P for the psychos, but a warning for the ones who make threads that are dead ends.

Fourth, there are people who probably do NOT have a diagnosable mental health issues, but do have pet theories, and put up "rabbit hole" posts. Should we warn people about them as well?

All things considered, I'm going with "Live and let live."
Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 AM

The little blue coral shells in the shape of pedistools doesn't change the motorcycle hubcaps.

Disclaimer: Mange is nothing to laugh about
Old 04-11-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
The little blue coral shells in the shape of pedistools doesn't change the motorcycle hubcaps.

Disclaimer: Mange is nothing to laugh about
^This is what I've always believed.

NOTE: I should have stated at the beginning that I suffer from chronic depression. I also have Type 2 diabetes, aortic stenosis, spinal stenosis, peripheral vascular disease, insomnia, seborrheic dermatitis and mild cat allergies. Sorry that you've read so far, without having been alerted to these relevant facts.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
But should there be a required disclaimer that a Mod, attaches to the OP of these threads to advise other posters of the minefield they are about to enter?
Since when is it only posters with acknowledged mental health issues who turn threads into minefields?

Mental illness does not necessarily imply that a person is stupid or irrational. There is no more need to flag threads with information about the mental health of the OP than there is to flag them with any other background information about the OP. All posters participate at their own risk (subject to enforcement of board rules, of course).

(I'm going to omit any efforts at ripping you a new one about exactly how dumb, offensive and draconian such a policy would be, since I bet other posters are going to do a better job of it than I would.)
Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM

The ones you are wanting to tag, are probably the only sane ones here.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

If we had slightly better AI we could probably design a "hobby horse" algorithm which determined whether a poster was posting about their one-trick-pony, then you'd simply show an appropriate icon. People could judge for themselves if the poster and/or topic is fruitful enough to read.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Since when is it only posters with acknowledged mental health issues who turn threads into minefields?

Mental illness does not necessarily imply that a person is stupid or irrational. There is no more need to flag threads with information about the mental health of the OP than there is to flag them with any other background information about the OP. All posters participate at their own risk (subject to enforcement of board rules, of course).

(I'm going to omit any efforts at ripping you a new one about exactly how dumb, offensive and draconian such a policy would be, since I bet other posters are going to do a better job of it than I would.)
Or, to quote Cooter from The Dukes of Hazzard,

"I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid."
Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
But should there be a required disclaimer that a Mod, attaches to the OP of these threads to advise other posters of the minefield they are about to enter? Now the practical application of this would be cumbersome for the Mods, but they don't get paid for doing nothing.
We have at times considered establishing a "Mixed Nuts" forum to which certain posters could be restricted. But this is at most wishful thinking.

But seriously, we have many productive posters who may have some kind of mental health issue who make intelligent, rational, and worthwhile posts. We have other posters who have no such diagnosed issues who are utterly unproductive to engage with.

The only real way to see which posters are worth interacting with is to, well, interact with them. Labels would really be useless, particularly on the basis you propose.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
We have at times considered establishing a "Mixed Nuts" forum to which certain posters could be restricted. But this is at most wishful thinking.
Banned to the looney bin! I could get behind this.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:04 PM

I'm a bi-polar with a side helping of the occasional severe depression and I'd be okay with this. Would save me a hella lot of perambulatory typing and others some headbanging, so what's not to love?

Seriously, I keed. I keed. Well, not about being crazy (although I hope I fall into that "is useful sometimes" category), but truly about stigmatizing others. Because those that suffer from stuff like what's mentioned, certainly don't need to feel any worse or shamed about it.

As for me, perhaps we could develop a macro?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:14 PM

I sympathize. I really, really do. I think it's impractical and a terrible idea, but sweet baby something, some folks need it. Mostly because I don't have the self-discipline to stay out of threads.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:28 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

Thanks for volunteering. Off you go!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 PM

A serious answer is that "mental illness" is a broad continuum that encompasses a wide range of cognitive function including high levels of intelligence and insight. It may also include obsessions and irrationality, but that's a pretty broad continuum, too. So it's probably not a useful label. One should probably be wary of labeling everyone who has hot buttons on certain topics as "mentally ill", especially on an Internet board!

OTOH, in my relatively short time here I've seen some pretty strange individuals pass this way. Fortunately, most have passed right on, some involuntarily, and thank Og and the mods that be for that.

And some still linger. For truly, there's only so much one can stand hearing about weight loss and belly fat.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
We have a number of posters that have admitted mental health issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
One should probably be wary of labeling everyone who has hot buttons on certain topics as "mentally ill", especially on an Internet board!
Considering my tongue in cheek OP referred to admitted or self-disclosed posters, I don't think it fits into your category of labeling.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:12 PM

What I think would be nice is a label telling you who is on a content restriction, so you don't accidentally try to engage them on that topic. It could be a badge you'd have to click on to see what it says. And it could be optionally hidden to the poster themselves, so they aren't tempted to talk about it just because they see it there. Though, at the same time, maybe it could be a reminder so they don't fall off the wagon, either--leave it up to them to decide.

And I'd like a new house, too--since we're dreaming.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Considering my tongue in cheek OP referred to admitted or self-disclosed posters, I don't think it fits into your category of labeling.
Well, my comment about a lot of folks on Internet boards seemingly having obsessions about certain topics was also a bit tongue-in-cheek. One thing we can agree on is that some pretty strange birds have passed this way from time to time! Most of the really strange ones we could have/can do without.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
What I think would be nice is a label telling you who is on a content restriction, so you don't accidentally try to engage them on that topic.
If they engage in off-limit topics they're not going to be around long anyway.

Last edited by wolfpup; 04-11-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Some of the really strange ones, have provided some level of entertainment over the years.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I should have stated at the beginning that I suffer from chronic depression. I also have Type 2 diabetes, aortic stenosis, spinal stenosis, peripheral vascular disease, insomnia, seborrheic dermatitis and mild cat allergies.
It's like that lost dog sign:
"Answers to the name of 'Lucky'"
Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Margarine hat.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 PM

I can't imagine the OP was inspired by any other poster besides John Clay.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 04-11-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather deal with a poster who admits to mental health issues instead of one who doesn't?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
But seriously, we have many productive posters who may have some kind of mental health issue who make intelligent, rational, and worthwhile posts.
Which makes me 0 for 3.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Why stop at mental-health issues? How about a Star of David for Jews or a pink triangle for gays?

Get 'em up against the wall (against the wall)! There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me. Get 'em up against the wall (against the wall)!

Last edited by Siam Sam; 04-11-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Wouldn't you rather deal with a poster who admits to mental health issues instead of one who doesn't?
No, that's like asking whether I'd rather deal with a light-haired poster than with a dark-haired one. I'd rather engage with a poster who makes coherent and meaningful assertions with some rational basis than engage with an idiot or an irrational obsessive. It doesn't matter to me if they claim they have some psychological disorder and are seeing a therapist. In fact the latter is actually a feature in terms of interesting dialog. I just have no patience for morons.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 PM

Can we get a special icon for known dipsticks?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Posters who are a--holes could get a little icon of tiny buttocks.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
We've got that already. It's that little circle next to one's name. Sometimes it's turned on and green, sometimes it's off.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
What about the rest who just haven't admitted it?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Tiny buttocks
In the post
make me happy
make me feel the most
Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
But should there be a required disclaimer that a Mod, attaches to the OP of these threads to advise other posters of the minefield they are about to enter?
Should they be required to wear little badges?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
)*(
Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
^This is what I've always believed.

NOTE: I should have stated at the beginning that I suffer from chronic depression. I also have Type 2 diabetes, aortic stenosis, spinal stenosis, peripheral vascular disease, insomnia, seborrheic dermatitis and mild cat allergies. Sorry that you've read so far, without having been alerted to these relevant facts.
And you're messy, and your job is noisy. Probably should bring that up every time too.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

You mean like this?

---
Omar Little suggests lunatics like me include a disclaimer
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
No.
We have a number of posters that claimed to have mental health issues. We have no idea which of these have been confirmed by medical professionals, which of these have been self-diagnosed by hypochondriacs, and which of these have been spurious claims by attention whores who would just love to get the type of spotlight you would choose to shine on them.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM

It's a great idea. That would tell me which are the interesting threads to open. And then I could ignore the threads from the 3 Dopers who don't qualify.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Ummm, not sure if I should make this public knowledge, but they did make a "Nuts" forum... and called it "SDMB".

Regards,
digs
[GP = Grammar Pedant; TS/f = Thin Skin re: feminism; NHEaaC = Not Hugged Enough as a Child; = Dad Who Thinks Being in a Band 40 Years Ago Means He's Still Cool]
Old 04-12-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
No.
We have a number of posters that claimed to have mental health issues. We have no idea which of these have been confirmed by medical professionals, which of these have been self-diagnosed by hypochondriacs, and which of these have been spurious claims by attention whores who would just love to get the type of spotlight you would choose to shine on them.
Well then they'd be trolls.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Well then they'd be trolls.
And you'd be feeding them, while at the same time pissing off sincere posters by labeling their threads, and also feeding into the fears of hypochondriacs.
Way to go!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Ummm, not sure if I should make this public knowledge, but they did make a "Nuts" forum... and called it "SDMB".

Regards,
digs [SIZE="1"]
That explains a lot. I woke up one morning and had an account here. Not sure how it happened . . .

Last edited by Gedd; 04-12-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM

I think it's a terrific idea! After all, there isn't NEARLY enough stigma attached to mental health issues.. why don't we slap up a bunch of extra hoops to jump through for anyone who had been honest enough to come forward and talk about their issues?

Myself, I suffer from IBMMS (Ignorant Bullcrap Makes Me Sarcastic) Perhaps you've heard of it? I'm told there is no cure.

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 04-12-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
I think it's a terrific idea! After all, there isn't NEARLY enough stigma attached to mental health issues.. why don't we slap up a bunch of extra hoops to jump through for anyone who had been honest enough to come forward and talk about their issues?

Myself, I suffer from IBMMS (Ignorant Bullcrap Makes Me Sarcastic) Perhaps you've heard of it? I'm told there is no cure.
Well, you made it to this support group, and that's a good start.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Well, you made it to this support group, and that's a good start.
Sweeeet. Is there coffee?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
Sweeeet. Is there coffee?
You want it with Irish or Scotch?
Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Last Thursday I was 1/3 maudlin and 2/3 peeved. Do I get a label?
Old 04-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I can't imagine the OP was inspired by any other poster besides John Clay.
Really?