Game of Thrones Season 6 open show/book discussion thread [spoilers]

Last year’s thread.

No one made one of these threads, so I went ahead and made it. You can discuss the show and book openly here without spoiler boxes.

One thing I will ask is that if there’s what’s traditionally considered a spoiler - like if a script is leaked, or an actor in an interview reveals some plot point - some new information that’s new to book readers and show watchers alike - that you spoiler box it so that people can decide for themselves whether to read it.

Otherwise everything is fair game.

Thanks SB.

I’m a book reader, but managed to miss the clues that Melisandre was using glamour.

Anyone see that coming?

I didn’t realize it at the time, but I’m a somewhat active reader of theories so the end of the show wasn’t a shocker.

Do we think this means that Doran is going to get axed in the books?

Wow, she’s 39? Maybe she has some sort of illusion spell that works in real life. She must have the youngest looking body I’ve ever seen on a 39 year old.

That seems to run counter to the base premise of the whole world, though. I thought the idea was that magic has been gone for a long time, and only recently reawakened, coinciding with the comets return. A 400 year old woman doesn’t really make sense in that context.

So it seems like it’s pretty clear that they’re not going to get the Dorne plot back on track. Doran will never give his “fire and blood” monologue, there will never be a reveal that he’s been trying to facilitate a Targ return, and Trystane won’t fill the Quentin role. Which means that all that Dorne has left is simply to be a military antagonist to the Crown, which is territory we’ve thoroughly covered before. I guess some sort of military or sand snake rule of Dorne could ultimately serve the same function of allying with Dany, but it’s more dramatically interesting to reveal that Doran was biding his time and planning it all along.

Ugh. Remind me why that part made me want to care?

I’m not sure what the current status of rumors that the Walk of Shame! Shame! Shame! involved a body double, but van Houten has been pretty clear that she spends a significant amount of time stark naked on set.

Gone from Westeros.

Its possible, she is preggers herself like Lena was last season.

Magic was never gone from Westeros, just severely diminished. Bloodraven, Maggie the Frog, greenseers, etc.

So now we know how Melisandre is going to defeat the men at Castle Black. She’ll give them each a poisoned apple.

Melisandre might be one of Aegon Targy’s sister wives?

I agree. I was also a little pissed that that’s how they ended Areo Hotah :eek: . I’m not one to shout at the TV, but I found myself in the middle of a reflexive “what the fuck!?” before I could stop myself. I wonder if Arthur Dayne will die by slipping on the stairs. Damn.

I just realized the taking of Dragonstone side-plot was also removed. Perhaps Loras will be near death after his punishment by the Sparrows instead?

They did seem pretty shady about the whole Loras thing when questioned.

Yes, it was disappointing how they handled Doran and Areo. The reveal that Doran, who was seemingly some doddering ruler, was actually planning a long revenge plot from the day the Targaryens were chased across the sea was an amazing plot twist. The Sand Snakes just killed Doran and Areo at random seemed more of a cheap shock.

Also, the sad part for book readers is that Doran was shown as quite an astute schemer. Here, he has no clue that he’s about to get assassinated - and Areo just seems lame.

::golf clap::

I completely agree. I very much enjoyed the reveal of Doran’s subtle scheming in close collaboration with Oberyn to the Sand Snakes in the last book. It added a layer of intrigue and deep plotting to a saga rich in such touches. It also allowed the Sand Snakes to graduate from bloodthirsty poisoners and single-minded pursuers of vengeance to being a part of Doran’s larger scheme as he brings it to the next level.

Agreed with the above. book-Doran was first presented as others see him, weak and spineless. Then we get to see how he’s been using his mind to build a grand revenge all this time, and it’s incredible, a worthy match for Tyrion’s cunning. And Hotah was also a wonderful character in his own right.

Seeing them get offed like chumps is a disappointment. Alexander Siddig was wasted.

Maybe she’ll just use glamour to appear as Jon Snow from now on. And at the same time still take strip naked at the drop and instinctively try to seduce any man “he” comes across that might have royal blood. :wink:

I imagine the High Sparrow would take care to keep Loras alive & reasonably unhurt until after the trial, if only to maintain his creditably. Of course unlike Cersei & Margaery Loras is a trained fighter so that might be easier said than done.

Yes and no.

Yes in that Doran is old and ill and everyone’s going to fucking die. I can’t imagine he’s going to be the only one on Planetos, looking around thinking “Well, that didn’t work.” I would be enormous amounts of money that Ellaria isn’t going to murder him and Areo.

No in that they’ve gone so far off what’s been published (much less what hasn’t even been written yet) that what is shown in the show is no indication of book direction. At. All.

Is Stannis really dead? Are my wife and I the only ones who aren’t entirely sure?