Old 10-29-2016, 01:40 PM

IS life a curse?

To live is to suffer, or so the buddhists say with the first noble truth.

But it seems like we go through much pain and suffering to keep on going with our lives. Sometimes that is met with little reward and yet we keep going. So might say life is pointless and that we are just degrading bags of flesh who feel short changes when life is less than what we want it to so we make it out to be more than what it is. Is there little more to what life offers than breathing, reproduction, death. Is it a curse of the advanced mind to find purpose and meaning in the life that we live even though we live in a universe absent of it? Is that why we create such complicated structures, rules, and rituals in order to feel like our lives have meaning (which is because of our advanced intellect)? Is there any meaning to the things that we do when the methods by which we judge such acts are rather arbitrary as are our judgments about the quality of the acts themselves? It seems like we live in a world of our own design to make life just be more than a struggle and more than simply reproducing. Are we hiding from some truth that living is a curse? Why do we continue to struggle and stay alive?
Old 10-29-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinaforce View Post
Why do we continue to struggle and stay alive?
Because the alternative is to not exist at all.

Make the best of the cards you're dealt, because there is no other game.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

The very concept of "curse" only makes sense in the context of life. But then, the same is true of the concept of "blessing". Woe and joy are woven fine, indeed, and you have to accept both if you're to accept either.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:00 PM

Or as I've heard it, "Life may suck, but the alternative is unimaginable."

Last edited by cochrane; 10-29-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Everybody's life has problems all the time. It's a small price to pay for being alive.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
IS life a curse?
Oh God, yes.

Last edited by RadicalPi; 10-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinaforce
Sometimes that is met with little reward and yet we keep going.
People are mentally well are able to find reward in the smallest of things. So they keep going because they've got an invisible carrot dangling in front of their faces, prodding them along.

People who are severely depressed don't see the point because they lack the ability to feel pleasure.

Last edited by monstro; 10-29-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Didn't you ask this question previously?
Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Yes I'm sure it is a course.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Pretty much off of his threads boil down to the same question.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Is there any meaning to the things that we do when the methods by which we judge such acts are rather arbitrary as are our judgments about the quality of the acts themselves? It seems like we live in a world of our own design to make life just be more than a struggle and more than simply reproducing. Are we hiding from some truth that living is a curse? Why do we continue to struggle and stay alive?
Strawberries.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I haven't gone through much pain and suffering in my life. Oh, sure, there have been bad moments, but things always went back to a positive experience.

My life, overall, has been a lot of fun. There certainly are people who have led difficult and depressing lives, but I don't think they're the majority.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Strawberries.
Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...
Old 10-29-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
This is more like the nature of the world that we live in. This creation of ours full of arbitrary rules and accomplishments. It's like we made it to feel like life is more than just breeding and dying. And we syphon from the world around us to maintain this "illusion". What good is accomplishment if the measurement for it is arbitrary? Why use that method of judging worth? Why use any for that matter? Is it just a distraction from the fact that we are fleshbags with sensory impulses. Isn't that what it boils down to, being flesh driven by mere impulses that we make out to be more than what they are. Why does life continue to exist even though to exist is to suffer?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Us "fleshbags", as you put it, are driven by evolution to survive and to reproduce, as is all other life on Earth. It's as simple as that.

Sometimes the surviving and reproducing is fun. Try it sometime; you might like it.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what it boils down to, being flesh driven by mere impulses that we make out to be more than what they are. Why does life continue to exist even though to exist is to suffer?
New season asparagus. Tempranillo. Winning the occasional raffle.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:28 PM

How many of these threads are you going to start?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Instead of posting these threads wouldn't your time be better spent putting on black eyeliner, blasting My Chemical Romance, and pouting into the mirror?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:

But it seems like we go through much pain and suffering to keep on going with our lives. Sometimes that is met with little reward and yet we keep going. So might say life is pointless and that we are just degrading bags of flesh who feel short changes when life is less than what we want it to so we make it out to be more than what it is. Is there little more to what life offers than breathing, reproduction, death. Is it a curse of the advanced mind to find purpose and meaning in the life that we live even though we live in a universe absent of it? Is that why we create such complicated structures, rules, and rituals in order to feel like our lives have meaning (which is because of our advanced intellect)? Is there any meaning to the things that we do when the methods by which we judge such acts are rather arbitrary as are our judgments about the quality of the acts themselves? It seems like we live in a world of our own design to make life just be more than a struggle and more than simply reproducing. Are we hiding from some truth that living is a curse? Why do we continue to struggle and stay alive?
Have you ever done anything other than breathe or reproduce (as you obviously aren't dead yet)? Since you've typed this up, and are capable of using language at all, then obviously you have. In and of itself, that means that life is more than just reproducing and dying. As for meaning, does it truly matter? Meaning, as you have said, is arbitrary. What is meaningful to one is not important to another. How else would they be judged, if not by us? As it stands, we have no proof of intelligent life other than ours. We are the only things able to give meaning. Consider this: if we were to encounter an advanced alien species, and they told us that every we have accomplished is meaningful, would your opinion change at all? Or if an actual deity said the same thing? Would an outsider's judgement be enough to give intrinsic meaning? Why do you think giving meaning to things at all is a bad thing?

As for why we stay alive, it's generally because we want to. Is there anything forcing every single human being to keep living? No. Yet we do it anyways. The fact that billions upon billions of living creatures do keep on living should be enough to tell you that life is not a curse.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 PM

They told you life is hard
It's misery from the start
It's dull and slow and painful

I tell you life is sweet
In spite of the misery
There's so much more
Be grateful

Who do you believe?
Who will you listen to
Who will it be?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 PM

So we just live because that's what we do? That seems odd. But what about those born into pain and suffering? Life is a curse to them
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
People are mentally well are able to find reward in the smallest of things.
Exactly. Even if you are lucky enough to win the gold in front of a full stadium with a world-full of TV cameras sharing your victory with gazillions of people, the moment eventually passes. Big accomplishments are wonderful, but then they are done and you move on. Growing those lovely tomatoes, watching a flaming sunset while the breeze carries stray raindrops across your cheek, reading a picture book while seeing it with the very eyes of the three-year-old on your lap, all kinds of little shit makes it worthwhile.

You just have to learn to appreciate the moment. Drag the joy/value right out of it. I have no idea why they do not teach that in fourth grade on up. Imagine how much better off we would be if everyone were trained to discover happiness right there.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
So we just live because that's what we do? That seems odd. But what about those born into pain and suffering? Life is a curse to them
Dude, seriously -- what is the point of all of these threads of your's?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

My life may be a living hell, but on the bright side it's almost over, so I've got that going for me.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:

What are you proposing? That everyone just lie down and die?
Old 10-30-2016, 05:27 PM

I'm miserable and I want you all to know about it! Then I'll reject any counter argument to my bleak worldview!
Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Exactly. Even if you are lucky enough to win the gold in front of a full stadium with a world-full of TV cameras sharing your victory with gazillions of people, the moment eventually passes. Big accomplishments are wonderful, but then they are done and you move on. Growing those lovely tomatoes, watching a flaming sunset while the breeze carries stray raindrops across your cheek, reading a picture book while seeing it with the very eyes of the three-year-old on your lap, all kinds of little shit makes it worthwhile.

You just have to learn to appreciate the moment. Drag the joy/value right out of it. I have no idea why they do not teach that in fourth grade on up. Imagine how much better off we would be if everyone were trained to discover happiness right there.
But aren't such feelings just the chemical impulses going through the body. A physiological response from us flesh bags? Isn't that what it ultimately boils down to? DOing things to repeat that chemical high that we get from it? Isn't that just what a drug addict does? All the sound and bluster we make about goals and dreams seems more like just reaching for another needle.

Isn't it just placing too much importance on humans? Doesn't existence seem much larger than the tiny world we made, almost large enough that the things we do and strive for seem so small, insignificant?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:27 PM

I mean isn't that what life boils down to? Just a stimulus and a response? You can dress up the stimulus all you want but it seems like it all leads to the same end. A brief feeling of goodness as the result of a chemical. Action-chemical, action-chemical, that seems to be the sum of our lives.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:49 PM

Dude. That is deep. You must be some sort of philosophical individual, to think as deeply as that. Not for you the painted facade of fruitless purpose that the mass of humanity cower behind to vainly shelter them from the yawning abyss of despair that lies beyond, you march right up to that grim pit and whimper into it, "What's the point of living?". Deep, man. Have you thought of writing poetry?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
Because the alternative is to not exist at all.

Make the best of the cards you're dealt, because there is no other game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Or as I've heard it, "Life may suck, but the alternative is unimaginable."
Can someone explain this to me? What's so bad about not existing? You didn't exist for millennia and I don't think it particularly bothered you at the time. It reminds me of that Nabokov quote: "The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for..."
Old 10-30-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I mean isn't that what life boils down to? Just a stimulus and a response? You can dress up the stimulus all you want but it seems like it all leads to the same end. A brief feeling of goodness as the result of a chemical. Action-chemical, action-chemical, that seems to be the sum of our lives.
Did you ever get past the First Noble Truth? There are actually four.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Dude. That is deep. You must be some sort of philosophical individual, to think as deeply as that. Not for you the painted facade of fruitless purpose that the mass of humanity cower behind to vainly shelter them from the yawning abyss of despair that lies beyond, you march right up to that grim pit and whimper into it, "What's the point of living?". Deep, man. Have you thought of writing poetry?
Nice sarcasm, but it still doesn't address the statement.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Did you ever get past the First Noble Truth? There are actually four.
The rest seems more like mystical nonsense than anything beneficial. It also doesn't answer the question of why bother living.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 PM

I'm aware of my tongue!
Old 10-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

"It's a gift. And a curse." - Adrian Monk
Old 10-31-2016, 12:16 AM

http://tinybuddha.com/topic/life-has...and-suffering/

This is similar to what I'm getting at.

But you still haven't addressed my stimulus-response comment
Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Go away.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Because, who cares? You are stuck in your tiny vessel, tossed about on the heedless gales. You cannot step out of it, for there will be even less to your existence than what you are already whining about. This is what you get, so trim your foresail and lay about for smoother waters, such as you can. Or be a courageous coward and make for the undiscovered country, from who's borne, no traveler returns. Those are basically the options available to you.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReticulatingSplines View Post
Can someone explain this to me? What's so bad about not existing? You didn't exist for millennia and I don't think it particularly bothered you at the time. It reminds me of that Nabokov quote: "The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for..."
Because I don't remember not existing. I like my existence and I don't want to give it up. There's no proof that nonexistence is preferable to existing.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
http://tinybuddha.com/topic/life-has...and-suffering/

This is similar to what I'm getting at.

Stimulus.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Because I don't remember not existing. I like my existence and I don't want to give it up. There's no proof that nonexistence is preferable to existing.
Who's talking about proof? We both didn't exist and now we do, and...I dunno, I guess you get to decide which you like better. I personally look forward to not existing. I just find it weird that people dread it. You will not be around to be sad about not being alive anymore.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReticulatingSplines View Post
Who's talking about proof? We both didn't exist and now we do, and...I dunno, I guess you get to decide which you like better. I personally look forward to not existing. I just find it weird that people dread it. You will not be around to be sad about not being alive anymore.
You asked what is bad about not existing. If you don't exist, you don't get to feel, taste, smell, or experience life. You don't get to have pleasure, or on the other side of the coin, pain or sorrow. What is there to not dread about no longer being to do these things? What is weird about dreading death? I find that most normal people do, at least those who are in their prime. I find it weird to look forward to not existing.

I think Leaper is right. It's a gift and a curse. But I think Adrian Monk stole that line from Peter Parker.

Last edited by cochrane; 10-31-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:23 AM

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Instead of posting these threads wouldn't your time be better spent putting on black eyeliner, blasting My Chemical Romance, and pouting into the mirror?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Go away.
Enough with this. Take it to the Pit, if you must, but leave it out of here. You aren't being forced to participate in this thread.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
But aren't such feelings just the chemical impulses going through the body.
Do you think your feelings of angst are the result of something other than chemical impulses going through your body?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Why are you alive? Don't you have nothing more in your life than mere chemical stimulus?

Not attacking you, just asking.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:30 AM

Is your entire existence invalidated by the fact that it is nothing more than persistent chemical and biological processes?

That's kinda what Life is.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:32 AM

OP, many people feel the very opposite of how you feel. Have you considered that not everyone sees the world like you? That your feelings and views might be just your opinion, and not reality?

Why do you persist in believing that your view is correct, when complete strangers are telling you that yours isn't an accurate view?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Is your entire existence invalidated by the fact that it is nothing more than persistent chemical and biological processes?

That's kinda what Life is.
Not to get all Einsteinian on ya'll but biological is chemical.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Not to get all Einsteinian on ya'll but biological is chemical.
biological is a subset of chemical
Old 10-31-2016, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your response to nearly all stimulus seems to be to create these repetitive threads. You're getting the same answers that you've gotten in the past, and you're going to ignore or dismiss them all and finally start a new thread with a variation of the same question. That's an interesting stimulus-response cycle to examine.
Closed Thread