Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I'm gonna guess pork pie hat. Or a trilby, only for the satisfaction of schooling anyone who calls it a fedora.
Those sound like good guesses to me. But a propeller beanie is also a distinct possibility.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Like this? Way too cool for drad dog, I think. How about this?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:36 AM

I like the second one better.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Total madhatters, you guys - let's put a cap on it.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:55 PM

Piling on (but, hey, it's the Pit):

Here's drad dog praising Blazing Saddles, and its star, Richard Pryor.

(Pssst...that was Cleavon Little, not Pryor.)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Piling on (but, hey, it's the Pit):

Here's drad dog praising Blazing Saddles, and its star, Richard Pryor.

(Pssst...that was Cleavon Little, not Pryor.)
I think you may be misunderstanding his post. Or perhaps I am. But Pryor was a writer on Blazing Saddles, but he didn't play a role because of his issues. The "erstwhile star" phrasing does confuse that sentence, though. But I think that's what he was getting at.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I think you may be misunderstanding his post. Or perhaps I am. But Pryor was a writer on Blazing Saddles, but he didn't play a role because of his issues. The "erstwhile star" phrasing does confuse that sentence, though. But I think that's what he was getting at.
True, I suppose. Though, it looks like I'm not the only one who was confused.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I agree, and sometimes I kinda almost get his point, he just twists it into absolutely nothing.

FYI drad: I'm still open to have you do a gig at an event of mine.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Mommmmmm, it's doing that thing again. That thing being missing the fundamental point that was being discussed, then basically accusing of the people trying to educate them on the fundamental point of being absolutists in bizarre ways. They start with a stupid "Units of what" post at the bottom of page 2. I dunno, it's a thread about music theory, so it's probably fucking sound frequencies, genius.

It goes on at about that level of understanding for a couple of pages after that, probably to continue for awhile. I've ceased to care if they're that stupid or the most dedicated of trolls. The effect is the same.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

drad dog regarding your post #206 in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...php?p=20669916

I hope I get this wording right: go fuck a cactus, you fucking cactus fucker.

How's that?

You clearly have no clue as a guitar player. Any player worth their salt goes through periods trying out different string gauges and tuning down a half step and knows how different the feel and sound can be. Saying it has no effect is declaring your stupidity to everyone else. It was already obvious to me.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
drad dog regarding your post #206 in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...php?p=20669916

I hope I get this wording right: go fuck a cactus, you fucking cactus fucker.

How's that?

You clearly have no clue as a guitar player. Any player worth their salt goes through periods trying out different string gauges and tuning down a half step and knows how different the feel and sound can be. Saying it has no effect is declaring your stupidity to everyone else. It was already obvious to me.
I was following that thread with interest and then douche dog comes in and fucks it up. It seems he fucks up every music related thread and unfortunately, music threads are some of my favorite.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Ringo never embarrassed himself singing in THE BEATLES. Think about that.
I thought about it. As usual, if you weren't so wrong, you might be right. Think about that.

Seriously, there's no way a professed Beatles expert like this jerkwad can't be throwing that out without trolling for an idiotic diversion. Similarly they point out that Helm doesn't get songwriting credit for "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and doesn't mention that it's one of the reasons he hated Robertson.

I'd considered correcting them in the thread, but fuck that. I might end up in another fucking conversation with the idiot.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I thought about it. As usual, if you weren't so wrong, you might be right. Think about that.

Seriously, there's no way a professed Beatles expert like this jerkwad can't be throwing that out without trolling for an idiotic diversion. Similarly they point out that Helm doesn't get songwriting credit for "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and doesn't mention that it's one of the reasons he hated Robertson.

I'd considered correcting them in the thread, but fuck that. I might end up in another fucking conversation with the idiot.
Nah, he's too busy expounding on John Lennon's karma. I think he even killed a zombie thread. What a fucking douche.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nah, he's too busy expounding on John Lennon's karma. I think he even killed a zombie thread. What a fucking douche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by douche doggy dog
Had there never been any consideration of what would happen if john had been assassinated while Julians fate depended on it? In all that time?
What does that even mean?!?!!

You bring fresh meaning to the fallacy of reductio as absurdum. Impwessive.

Link to thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=782232
Old 12-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Ohhh, now you went and did it. You engaged it.

Now, it "cares" about you...<shudder>
Old 12-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Ohhh, now you went and did it. You engaged it.

Now, it "cares" about you...<shudder>
I am an idiot.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

All bullshit aside, Thank You drad dog

See post #227: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...=841453&page=5

In one of Machinaforce's threads, drad dog offers a measured, thoughtful way to approach mindfulness. Smart.

Man, that guy MF worries me. Watching thread after thread go in exactly the same direction, it just seems to shout that something's up.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
What does that even mean?!?!!

You bring fresh meaning to the fallacy of reductio as absurdum. Impwessive.

Link to thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=782232
For more fun, see post #83.

Quote:
Let's say Julian had called her a "chink" when he was 7. (I'm sure he never did such a thing) This would have really meant he was asking for attention and probably in trouble somehow. But with narcissists you can't be a child. You are considered culpable, for what they did to you.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...1&postcount=83

Then, in response to Word Man,

Quote:
What could you possibly be going on about?

What if Julian insulted her during a Leap Year??!? Would John be allowed to be mean to him once every four years?!?
Quote:
This is serious, and not snarky, because I do care about you: Can you explain what you just said here, by relating it to my post? It sounds like you are making reference to the solar calendar for some reason and getting really excited. How does that relate with anything?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...8&postcount=85

Then drad dog continues to set out his bait:

Quote:
I am saying I don't understand what you are asking. It sounds like you are asking us to imagine* some scenario where jerk John is somehow even jerkier, or his jerkishness is somehow highlighted in his treatment of Julian. It's some reductio ad absurdum scenario that has no bearing.

John was a jerk. He was damaged and it manifested in how he treated Julian and Cynthia. He also wrote about, and in some ways demonstrated, a desire to be a better person. And wrote some brilliant fucking music. What more are you looking for?

*heh
Quote:
You don't understand what I said but you're just making sure the place runs correctly, with the right ignorance fought in the correct way?

I said he was more than a jerk. It's child abuse as I see it. You are pushing back because you want it to stay right there at "jerk"? Why do you have an agenda about the kind of father JL was? I already explained why I do. Why do you need to police content of other posters?

Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
I'm shocked to hear that Yoko high-hatted all of Lennon's other relatives. Any record on how they treated her when John was alive? Yeah, if you're related to someone who's super rich, be careful what you call the likely executor of his will.

I was responding to this in my previous few posts. Please look up at the OP. Have you read any of the last 10 posts for content?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...5&postcount=87

drad dog, douchecanoe supreme.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Man, there is an approach, isn't there? But it really is classic reductio ad absurdum.

I just don't get the need to chase it down. Artists of all stripe are jerks and worse - we know this.

"Making sure the place runs correctly" - between ddog, and Machinaforce, I think I'm just calling out bullshit and harmful behavior.

Last edited by WordMan; 12-28-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM

I had to resurrect this in order to share the latest fun.

drad dog started a thread in GQ on Saturday, which originally amounted to, "I inherited a Bose Wave radio, it's not ideal, am I missing something?" Mostly, he was baffled that there was no way to adjust the specifics of the sound.

As the thread went on, and as multiple posters (including Shagnasty, who used to work at Bose) pointed out that it's a simple radio, made for non-audiophiles, drad's complaining about the sound of the radio (which, again, he got for free) became more and more strident, to the point that he states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog
I feel like my attention is being hijacked and mugged.
After several people called him out on his complaints, he says:

Quote:
To everyone else: I'll gripe all I want. I am the alpha and omega of this thread.
Major props to Colibri, who replied with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
Moderator Note

No, you're not, actually. This forum is for obtaining factual answers to specific questions. If you want to gripe or vent, IMHO or the Pit is the place for that. If you just want to complain, this isn't the place for it.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-15-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:59 PM

Yeah, I bothered to post in that thread to say that the Bose radio sound can be adjusted if you use a source with an equalizer, but if I had known about drad dog being such a pretentious tit I would have ignored it. Next time, I suppose.

John Stossel is a fuckwaffle
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 PM

It gets even better.

Quote:
I had thought my opining was fair response to info about the product for the factual benefit of all, and not griping at all. My statement had been largely ironic. Did you take it for griping?

There are voices that protest against others bad opinions. When a negative word is spoken they remind you that it doesn't matter somehow. But it does here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
[Moderator Note]

You said you were griping and venting. By denying that you said what you clearly said you are coming dangerously close to trolling. You were also being jerkish with remarks like "I am the alpha and omega of this thread."

At this point, I think it's best to close the thread. If you want to post your opinions on it, you're welcome to start a new thread in IMHO or the Pit.

Don't do this again in this forum.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-15-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 AM

Colibri just doesn't understand his edgy, hipster irony.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 AM

His versatile, edgy, hipster irony that effortlessly glides from griping to largely ironic?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Good lord. The chuckleheadedness is palpable.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Observation: in side comments he has made about / to me in other threads, he has commented on my "need to control a thread" when what I am really doing is pointing out a bad posting style. With his "I am the alpha and omega of this thread" comment, it seems clear he aspires to "owning" threads and is projecting that onto me. That also explains his "I set the rules and judge whether other posters have succeeded in their arguments" tone.

drad dog, you are still being That Guy(tm). Stop it. No one owns threads, and no one is the last word in a discussion.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:07 PM

Sheez - you'd think this thread would just stay buried, but no, the doucheyness of said subject keeps percolating back up to the top here, sorta like some reverse lecheate. Or something.
In the vein of a strangely peevish, supercilious Dougy_Monty, el creepo starts skeeving out posters at #66, then threadshits further.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...2#post20750642 (scroll down about four posts)
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 PM

Funny thing is, I had never heard of him and hadn't seen this thread when I made the mistake of engaging with him, and man was I ever sorry. It was in the thread about different musical keys having different feels to them, and he was a condescending fucktwat and said something to the effect of how I would never have a career in music.

The moment I saw this thread I read through it in its entirety and never stopped laughing the whole time. What a sad, pathetic little man.