Old 12-05-2017, 12:27 AM

Cracked lets everyone (almost) you know go.

Swaim quit in October. Soren left a little bit back to write for American Dad. Jack O'Brien quit a little while back.

But today they let go Dan O Brien, John Cheese, Ian Fortey, Cody, Reimann, Sargent and others.

RIP Cracked.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:35 AM

It was pretty obvious considering lately they've been focusing more on infograph articles contributed by readers and so many new rticles are simply republishing of old articles just with the title changed.

I blame AuntieMeme for being the beginning of the end, when entire articles would just be her regurgitating old Cracked articles except in a single pic instead of a written list.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:03 AM

Yeah, Cracked has been for shit for a while. Mainly fake Photoplasties, Cracked Store ads masquerading as articles (I've seen where they stopped even including the "Cracked Store" by-line), recycled articles and short "Let's talk about some event of the day" bits.

AuntieMeme is/was the worst.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Is Seanbaby still there at least?

If not, then yes, RIP Cracked.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 AM

Kristi Harrison is still around. Man I am not looking forward to the future there.

Maybe just articles after articles on the Daily Mail. They hate those guys and the insults they inflict are awesome.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

American Dad? Didn't that sitcom get canceled years ago? Or are we talking about something else?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
American Dad? Didn't that sitcom get canceled years ago? Or are we talking about something else?
Nope. Still around.

As for Seanbaby, pretty sure he's freelance.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 AM

I didn't even know that Swaim and Soren had left. Damn.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 AM

That was some lousy news to hear last night. And yeah, the overall quality on the site has fallen over the years, but there was still the occasional gem.
But what I'll really miss is the video content that mostly featured these guys: After Hours, DOB's Obsessive Pop Culture bit and a couple of others.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Can you give us a link to the announcement that those people left?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:47 AM

Perhaps a new group of writers will bring fresh ideas to their articles?

Cracked has been pretty stale for awhile. It may have been time to shake things up.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:50 AM

Not John Cheese! I really enjoyed his articles.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

This is as close as I can get to an announcement that all those people were left go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel...rien_(comedian)

In his Wikipedia entry, a tweet by O'Brian is quoted saying that he no longer works for Cracked.com. I can't get to the tweet itself. Again, is there any official announcement that all those people were let go?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
Can you give us a link to the announcement that those people left?
According to Wikipedia, it was announced on the Pointless Waste of Time forums but without a link:
Quote:
On December 4, 2017, David Wong announced on the PWOT forums that Cracked.com had parted ways with Daniel O’Brien, Cody Johnston, Michael Swaim (the only one to quit voluntarily), John Cheese, Josh Sargent, and multiple other major figures on the site, but that the ‘core editors’ would remain.
http://forums.cracked.com/viewtopic....32134#p3032134
https://twitter.com/IanFortey/status/937820577804554243

Last edited by Jophiel; 12-05-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
In his Wikipedia entry, a tweet by O'Brian is quoted saying that he no longer works for Cracked.com. I can't get to the tweet itself. Again, is there any official announcement that all those people were let go?
Here's the tweet by O'Brien:

https://twitter.com/DOB_INC/status/937870512679665665
Old 12-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Here's an announcement by Soren Bowie that he's left Cracked.com for American Dad:

http://sorenbowie.tumblr.com/
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM

David Wong's post seems to be as close as I could find to an official announcement by Cracked itself (since he's still with Cracked). But he acknowledges that a lot of mainstay staff is gone.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

My post with the URL fixed:

This is as close as I can get to an announcement that all those people were left go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel...ien_(comedian)

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM

O'Brian's tweet was linked above. I linked to Wong's post confirming the departure of a number of people. Places don't usually offer an official statement "We canned the following people".
Old 12-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

So there have been several small announcements but no big overall announcement of what's going on.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Actually, they sometimes do announce precisely that. In any case, if they don't someone else will make an announcement with an overall description of what's going on. That hasn't happened yet, although most of this only happened yesterday, so perhaps someone will make an overall account of what's happening.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
So there have been several small announcements but no big overall announcement of what's going on.
That's pretty standard, but yeah.

Last edited by Jophiel; 12-05-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 AM

That's common with a organization that's imploding and in disarray.

They aren't capable of even reporting their restructuring plans to the public.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-05-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Wendell Wagner, do you have any connection to Cracked? Earlier this year, there was a "Was Cracked Ever Funny?" thread where you seemed especially defensive of the site's change of tone saying that "funny" wasn't what they did now and maybe people expecting that weren't the target audience any more. Now you seem to be hitting Stage One Denial in the cycle of grief. I may be over reading it but you seem more invested in the site than typical for a lay person.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I'm not denying that all those people have been let go. I'm saying that I want to know more about who's gone and how all this change happened. I just reread my contributions to that earlier thread. I was trying to say in that thread that the changes at Cracked.com weren't quite as dire as people said there. What's apparently going on now is much worse than what's happened slowly to Cracked.com over the years. I want to know precisely what's going on at Cracked.com.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

No, I have no connection to Cracked.com.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
What's apparently going on now is much worse than what's happened slowly to Cracked.com over the years. I want to know precisely what's going on at Cracked.com.
Off the cuff, I would guess that what's happened to Cracked slowly over the years led to what's going on now. But that's just a guess in absence of other news.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 AM

That's crazy that they let that many people go in one sitting. They really must be having troubles. I'm guessing most of the troubles are financial because they've now started asking for donations and are putting up the store posts a lot more lately.

I'm mostly saddened by Cheese, he always had a logical and level-headed approach to his articles and he really seemed to be really genuine in his attempt to be transparent about his upbringing and demons.

Whatever happened to Christina H? I used to love her stuff and then she just up and disappeared. I thought I saw she came back a month or two ago, but then disappeared again.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Oh lord, I had forgotten about beg nags. "If we ever made you laugh, you owe us money!"
Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 AM

John Cheese, Christina H., and a couple others, etc. were the few writers worth following. With AuntiMeme, Winston Rowntree and others, it had become all recycling of old Cracked posts for clicks and views, and also political lecturing or agenda-pushing. Sadly, I don't think Cracked will have learned its lesson from all this.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:05 AM

Ironically, the other day I swore if i saw one more "Millennials are awesome, shut your fucking hole old people!!" article...I was pulling the plug on Cracked. I....I had no idea I really have that power.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
John Cheese, Christina H., and a couple others, etc. were the few writers worth following. With AuntiMeme, Winston Rowntree and others, it had become all recycling of old Cracked posts for clicks and views, and also political lecturing or agenda-pushing. Sadly, I don't think Cracked will have learned its lesson from all this.
I rarely visited the main site but greatly enjoyed the video personalities.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Shouldn't the OP title have been:

10 Employees that you (almost) know leave Cracked.

?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Cracked After Hours is the only thing they do that I really care about. Is there any indication that their videos are ending as a result of this?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Oh lord, I had forgotten about beg nags. "If we ever made you laugh, you owe us money!"
I saw it more as "We have to eat too. We can't give you this stuff for free."

Unfortunately, some people feel entitled to free stuff. They not only don't want to pay subscription fees, they also think it's wrong to be asked for voluntary donations. And they put up ad blockers so they won't be annoyed when a free site tries to gain some revenue that way.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Cracked After Hours is the only thing they do that I really care about. Is there any indication that their videos are ending as a result of this?
Katie Willert has posted that After Hours is done. Which is not surprising, considering most of the cast no longer works for Cracked.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-05-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:48 AM

That's disappointing. I had hopes because I don't think she's worked for Cracked for ages and I knew Soren had left for American Dad several months ago so I thought maybe they'd found a way to make it work.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:01 PM

I gave up when John Severin retired.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Then don't try to trick me into reading your advertising "articles". It's harder to beg money from someone you just tried to pull one over on.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Katie Willert has posted that After Hours is done. Which is not surprising, considering most of the cast no longer works for Cracked.
They filmed a finale, but I believe it was Dan who said something along the lines of "I don't know if it will see the light of day now"
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Well, we'll always have Gladstone, Seanbaby and "Caption this pic contests".
Old 12-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Shouldn't the OP title have been:

10 Employees that you (almost) know leave Cracked.

?
Yes. I was trying to come up with something to that too.

Congratulations, k9bfriender. You don't win money.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
That reminds me that apparently one of their writers REALLY didn't like GamerGate after GG started to spam the comments sections of their articles after they wrote an article GG didn't like. So from then on the author would start including anti-GG rants in every one of their articles even if it had nothing to do with the article at all. It was funny at first but then it literally started to get in the way of the articles themselves and made reading them a chore after a while.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
They not only don't want to pay subscription fees, they also think it's wrong to be asked for voluntary donations. And they put up ad blockers so they won't be annoyed when a free site tries to gain some revenue that way.
I wonder what the bulk of Cracked subscribers think of the mass exodus of core Crackd writers? I think that small pool just got a little smaller.

When they introduced paid subscriptions a few months back it had the whiff of desperation, Allowing only paying customers to upvote/downvote reader comments echoed the desperate and ineffective cost-cutting strategies of companies on their last legs, such as eliminating free coffee for employees and replacing double ply with single ply.

Their latest act doesn't exactly contradict my earlier reservations.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:22 PM

I’ll miss After Hours and Obsessive Pop Culture Disorder, but Cracked.com was going the same was as The Onion circa 2003. Hopefully ‘the talent’ will move onto other projects while the website devolves into useless clickbait.

Stranger
Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Also, utter misuse/overuse of the term "insane." I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that at least 100 Cracked articles over the past few years had the word "Insane" in their titles, no exaggeration. Even just glancing at the Cracked website right now, there are two posts/articles right there on the front page with "insane" in their title. ("6 Tiny Movie Moments that Took Insane Amounts of Work," "The 6 Most Insane Things Happening Right Now.")

Last edited by Velocity; 12-05-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, some people feel entitled to free stuff. They not only don't want to pay subscription fees, they also think it's wrong to be asked for voluntary donations. And they put up ad blockers so they won't be annoyed when a free site tries to gain some revenue that way.
Unfortunately, some publishers feel entitled to make a lot of money on websites, in spite of all the reasons you list for why publishing a website is not a very good way to make money.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 PM

This was crazy. I stumbled upon it on Twitter last night and had to dig to find anything "official". I did see a quote from an article that Scripps (the company that bought Cracked a few years back) where they said the site was not meeting earnings and would be downsized into profitability in 2018.Ouch.

On the plus side so many people have left, they could probably form their own site now the way a lot of AV Club writers formed The Dissolve when that site was purged of talent (maybe not the best example since The Dissolve folded but still...)

ETA: We need to learn to pay for writing again. It's a profession that gets little value because everyone thinks they can do it well and is thus easy.

Last edited by Quimby; 12-05-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
it had become all recycling of old Cracked posts for clicks and views, and also political lecturing or agenda-pushing.
God, about a week ago there was some "Venkman in Ghostbusters must be a rapist because he had Thorazine" article that was just the worst. This is why we can't have nice things.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
God, about a week ago there was some "Venkman in Ghostbusters must be a rapist because he had Thorazine" article that was just the worst. This is why we can't have nice things.
But that was a retread wasn't it?

I agree though with the tone of your post. I kept waiting for "Ok, he didn't fuck her when she was possessed and invited to do so"...and it was mentioned but given incredibly short shrift.

YES, Venkman is a letch by even 1984 standards and would be fired within a week today. BUT he's also fantastic under pressure and saved the world. Not only saved the world but was willing to sacrifice his life to do so....so maybe we give 'Hits on 18 year old test subjects" a pass.