Is Asprin back?

I loved the Myth series by Robert Asprin, except you could tell he was not as sharp with the last couple of books in the series. I found his writing in Thieves world series interesting yet thought the series itself bad cause the other authors seemed to find a compilation like this as a license to write trash. I also enjoy the first couple of books in the Phule series then they lost that sparkle of humor that sets Mr. Asprin off from most other writers.

He went through a major writers block and the stuff he wrote was bad cause Asprin fans are used to a talent for words that he lost. He wrote a few books during this time, but I found them bland.

I enjoyed the first book in the Time Scout series which he co-authors with his wife, Linda Evans, and the second book was ok. The third book in this series “Ripping Time” was disappointing and actually rather depressing. But I persevered and bought his latest book “The House That Jack Built” and could hardly put it down. (I had to since my reading time is late at night and I do need a few hours of sleep). I enjoyed it from start to finish.

So has Robert Asprin finally worked his way out of his writer’s block? Do you think he will once again be able to write with that comic flair that made so many of us fans of his?

The last two things I read by Asprin - quite a long time ago at that - were the novel Shadowspawn featuring his Thieves World character Hanse, and his contribution to Thieves World 10 (?) on Hanse’s return to Sanctuary and subsequent kidnapping.

After a bit when nothing was written about Hanse’s fate I stopped looking and have not actually read any Asprin for a long time, although I did enjoy the Myth series (except when he indulged in the M.Y.T.H. format rather than Skeeve’s first person account) when I read them about the same time as Thieves World years ago.

Did he ever write anything further with the Sanctuary crowd? I suppose I can do a search, perhaps I will when I’m done here, but I actually haven’t even thought of Asprin in years. So he’s writing again, hmmmm?

I tried the third Phule novel about six months ago (title escapes me, sorry). Not bad, though not quite the same comic flair as when he was at his peak. Sigh

rjung, yes I agree about the third Phule book, and the last one is even worse.

So let me see if I can remember the order of these books.

“Phule’s Company” – great read, I would give it 4 (out of 4) stars.

“Phule’s Paradise” – Not as good as book #1 but it was worth 3 stars.

“A Phule and His Money” – Bad, obviously not anywhere up to his standards, I would only give it 1 star.

The latest book of this series "Phule Me Twice"it came out in Dec 2000 – he was a little better on this one, but still not up to the standard that we are used to. I would only give it 2 1/2 stars.

I wonder if he is trying to following the norm of SF/fantasy writer too much. You know how they have to write a series. I think Mr. Asprin would do better if he stuck to one or two books in a “series”.

didn’t mean to write that the last one was worse, meant to say better than the third but not as good as the first two.

I will now go to bangs head on the softcover of the books.

Well, maybe we’ll find out when “MYTH-ion Improbable” comes out later this month…

Though I have high hopes, I for one am making no predictions either way.
-Ben

Holy cats! I’ve been waiting for the next Myth book for so long I stopped watching for it. This month, huh? I’m torn between being excited and apprehensive – the last couple Myth books sucked SO bad I’m almost nervous about reading another one.

Jess (who only ever read the Myth books by Asprin and so has no opinion about his other books)

Oh Jess, if you haven’t read the first Phule book, you have really missed a treat. The others of the series you can give a pass on.

ModernRonin2, I didn’t even know there was another Myth book coming out. So since the time you posted and now I have been to amazon.com and placed that puppy in my cart so that I don’t forget it.

I agree though about the mixed feelings of another Myth book coming out–will it be good or will we be once again missing out. I have high hopes though considering the higher quality of writing I just finished.

::deb does a happy dance, a new Myth book is coming, a new Myth book is coming::

Was the first Phule book originally intended as a one-shot deal? It read that way to me… I mean the ending did sort of leave some threads hanging, but the story seemed to have ended.

I pray that the new Myth book is good. I am really scared it won’t be. Oh well, most of them were good, except for the last one (and maybe parts of the later ones and larger parts of the M.Y.T.H. books). Actually, I liked the narration by Guido in the last M.Y.T.H. Book (what was it called?). The ending bit pretty bad tho… It just didn’t hold together very well.

(You know, I haven’t been keeping up on the Myth series. Is Sweet Myth-ery of Life the last Myth book?)

BTW, I concur with deb2world. The first Phule book was pretty good.

What a coincidence. My wife is a great fan of the Myth-os and wanted me to post a question here about RA. Not only is it answered, but with great news as well. Thanks, dopers!

The first Phule book was great for turning a bunch of losers and jerks and turning them into characters worthy of respect and admiration. I found myself liking Phule a lot more than I expected.