Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 AM

What's your favorite chicken salad sandwich recipe?

My mom used to make very good chicken salad. I've been fondly thinking about those sandwiches for awhile.

Sams Club/Walmart offers small cans of chunk chicken breast, in a members mark six pack. I bought one and wanted to make some chicken salad sandwiches.

I have a new jar of Hellman's Mayo, Dill Relish, black pepper, and lemon juice. I plan to get some seedless grapes later today.

It's mom's proportions that I don't remember.

Assuming a 12oz can of drained and shredded, white chicken meat.

How much mayo, relish and lemon juice?

I'm guessing maybe 3 tablespoons mayo, 1 tablespoon relish and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice? Add black pepper and stir in a few finely chopped grapes?

That a good starting point for the proportions?

Please Share your recipe.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-28-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Nuts, you prefer chopped Pecans or Walnuts?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Add mayo gradually until you get the consistency you like. I like my chicken salad to be similar to a Waldorf salad, with grapes, walnuts and raisins and apple. I use tarragon for the herb. No pickle relish, however. This is more of a eat-it-from-a-bowl version than a sandwich version.

Last edited by Chefguy; 01-28-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

My chicken salad is savory rather than sweet. Rather than fruits and nuts, I add thinly sliced celery, carrots, shallots and green onion. I add mayo for consistency, and a little bit of mustard for a little bit of tangy.

(Sister Winifred said I would never learn to type....)
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM

I always use Kraft sandwich spread. Love the stuff.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:22 PM

I used a Costco rotisserie chicken to make some yesterday. That's a pretty damn good start.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
I used a Costco rotisserie chicken to make some yesterday. That's a pretty damn good start.
Always better than canned.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 PM

actually my favorite chicken salad recipe isn't a sandwich.. its a pie !

well more like tart but I cant find a link to the cookbook "four seasons of pie baking " by Pillsbury

Maybe if I look for the name of the actual recipe ill have better luck ... ill post if I find it
Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I know the OP is asking for chicken salad sandwich recipes, but I'm posting my favourite chicken sandwich recipe anyway.

1 grilled chicken breast, warm/hot
2 or 3 rashers bacon, hot
Lettuce
Tomato
Avocado, sliced
Focaccia, split, buttered, and toasted
Aioli (or plain mayonnaise)

Split the focaccia, butter it, and toast it. Spread aioli on both halves. Assemble as follows: Chicken breast, bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado. Close the sandwich and slice diagonally. It is important to slice it diagonally because if you cut it into rectangles some of the goodness leaks out.

I like it with a Spring greens salad with bleu cheese dressing (with big chunks of bleu cheese, or add some) and croutons.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM

I follow the Silver Palate recipe, which calls for equal porpotions of sour cream and mayonnaise, and tarragon. I don't measure, just mix to the consistency I like.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 PM

At the moment:

Can of tinned white-meat chicken.
One or two dried apricots, chopped up
Handful of raisins, either dark or golden
Spoonful of mayo
Spoonful of Major Grey's chutney

Chopped almonds or walnuts if available, but okay without. Slices of cucumber on the sandwich also okay or not if I happen to have one in the fridge.

Even though it's got raisins in the chicken salad, this goes very nicely with grapes.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Guessing at quantities 'cause I never measure.

1 can chicken white meat ( we get them at Costco)
Big handful of pecans, probably 1/2 cup or more, chopped very course
Handful of golden, (never dark), raisins
1 big stalk of celery, chopped
2 Tbsp (maybe) mayonnaise. I just add it until it's the right consistency.
1 tsp (maybe more) of Indian (sweet) curry powder
salt & pepper

This is our best guess at a chicken salad we used to get at a deli near my wife's office many years ago, except they used green grapes. We usually have golden raisins but not grapes.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I grew up with the occasional sandwich of egg salad, or tuna salad, or ham salad (this last may be a Cleveland thing — i”ve never seen it on the east coast — ground cooked ham mixed with mayo, mustard, chopped dill pickle, and maybe some chopped hard-boiled egg).

Leftover chicken was always torn to pieces, placed carefully on a lightly buttered piece of Jewish rye, covered with lettuce leaf and sliced fresh ripe tomato, and topped with another slice of rye, judiciously mayoed and salt and peppered.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Canned chicken? (Shiver)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Leftover chicken was always torn to pieces, placed carefully on a lightly buttered piece of Jewish rye, covered with lettuce leaf and sliced fresh ripe tomato, and topped with another slice of rye, judiciously mayoed and salt and peppered.
This is the first recipe that sounds good to me. The rest all sound hideous (grapes! celery! raisins! nuts! in a chicken sandwich - blechh).

It's instructive because I don't consider myself at all a picky eater. However, apparently I do have a few irrational prejudices.

Anyway, for a chicken salad sandwich I'd use chopped/shredded fresh cooked chicken (never canned), just enough mayo to hold it together, salt if necessary, and a liberal dose of tarragon and pepper. I would accept, but not require, chutney spread on one of the slices of bread (toast them, please).
Old 01-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I model mine on a Coronation chicken salad.

Basically, leftover cooked chicken. Chop that shit up. Add some fruits and veggies. Celery, apples, cranberries, raisins, whatever you have around. Oh, something from the alliums: a bit of onion, scallions, green onion, whatever. Nuts, too. Typically almonds, but walnuts, pecans, shit, even sunflower seeds, it's all good. Then something sweet: I like apricot jam or fresh peach slices. Bind it together with mayo & curry powder, and you're good to go.

Here's a real recipe. I got a bit beyond that. When I worked in a cafe about 20 years ago, we had a "chicken curry salad" which was pretty much a Coronation chicken salad, with celery and some fruit (raisins, apples).

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-28-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

I don't worry about proportions. I just add stuff that looks good until it tastes right. What goes in is highly dependent on what's available at the time.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Two tins chicken
Two heaping spoons (the kind you eat with) mayo
Celery to taste
Salt
Pepper
Old Bay

It's delicious.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
This is the first recipe that sounds good to me. The rest all sound hideous (grapes! celery! raisins! nuts! in a chicken sandwich - blechh).
Chicken salad with grapes is a specific variant: veronique. That's the variant I prefer, though I use dill instead of tarragon. And often swap out the mayo/olive oil with greek yogurt + lemon juice, for the tangy.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:01 PM

I really like this recipe from Serious Eats, although it involves both sous vide chicken breasts and homemade mayo.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Mayo, Italian dressing and hot giardiniera. Served up on a sub roll with lettuce and tomato - maybe provolone if I'm in the mood.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:35 PM

You've given me some great alternatives to try in chicken salad.

Looking forward to many tasty sandwiches.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I grew up with the occasional sandwich of egg salad, or tuna salad, or ham salad (this last may be a Cleveland thing — i”ve never seen it on the east coast — ground cooked ham mixed with mayo, mustard, chopped dill pickle, and maybe some chopped hard-boiled egg).

Well theres a certain "mock" ham salad that the U.S rationing board made semi famous because grandma and parents ...its as you described but their version used chunk bologna
Old 02-01-2018, 07:03 PM

I poach one or two chicken breasts slowly, then dice them very finely while they're still warm. Then I add just enough mayo to barely bind the meat together, together with finely chopped green onions and plenty of coarse cracked black pepper. A touch of lemon juice, too.

I like it on rye or white toast.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Well theres a certain "mock" ham salad that the U.S rationing board made semi famous because grandma and parents ...its as you described but their version used chunk bologna
My family MAY have included chopped bologna in ham salad. If I were to make it today, I wouldn’t.

Not likely to anyway...the Ukulele Lady certainly wouldn’t eat it. And the ham needs to be GROUND, not chopped, and it would be too much of a hassle to clean out the cast iron hand-turned meat grinder.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I love how so many here are saying “just enough mayo to hold the meat together.”

I have fond memories of the tuna salad “grinders” at Yorkside Pizza, New Haven, during my college days. Toasted hero roll, melted white American cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and “just enough tuna to hold the mayonnaise together.”
Old 02-02-2018, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Try SPAM® salad sandwiches. Run the meat through a meat grinder. Mix in Miracle Whip* and sweet pickle relish. Chill for an hour. Make sandwiches with soft white bread. No, really. They're very good.

*It has to be Miracle Whip. SPAM® is fatty and salty. Mayonnaise is fatty and salty. They don't compliment each other. Miracle Whip is sweet, and not fatty and salty. It counteracts the fatty saltiness of the SPAM®.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM

We bought a grinder specifically for grinding up chunks of the leftover spiral ham from Christmas or Thanksgiving. Mixed with ground drained dill or sweet pickles and mayonnaise, I could eat my weight in it. Sandwich or crackers, the best! It can also be frozen in baggies for a month or two if there is a lot.....Dunkin Donuts here sells chicken salad on a toasted croissant that is out of this world, a little sweet. (It arrives at the shops in little sealed cups from some massive food source). I don't know what makes it taste so good. I thought it might be, god forbid, part Miracle Whip and tried a dab of that, but no, it was just turned foul from the vile Miracle Whip. It was mayonnaise only...My own chicken salad, leftover rotisserie chicken if any, or a plain breast - white meat only! - diced, with diced celery, lots of mayo, salt and pepper is all I need. (not as good as ham and pickle, though). I like it diced quite fine, not big chunks.

Last edited by salinqmind; 02-02-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

This thread reminds me of something my mother used to make.

She put bologna and sweet pickles through a grinder then mixed in some Miracle Whip. I used to love that stuff.

I don't know the proportions but, if I'm ever allowed solid food again, I may try to duplicate it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
The Costco near me sells packages of cooked and diced chicken that is obtained from their rotisserie birds.

Yummy and extremely convenient.

mmm