'holes' by Louis Sachar

Probably not very many of you have read “Holes” by Louis Sachar, but for those of you who have, I have a question for you. Near the end, when Zero and Stanley come back to the camp and Stanley finds out he is being released the book says ‘X-Ray was the only one who didn’t come over. Stanley saw him hang back behind the others for a moment, the return to the Wreck Room.’ Does anyone know why X-Ray didn’t at least say hi to Stanley? This has been bugging me ever since I read the book.

This can go to the Cafe Society forum . . . I guess. I had to check to make sure it was a novel. I changed the thread title too.

bibliophage
moderator, GQ

X-Ray had been taking advantage of Stanley and bullying Zero. He was the “big man” in his group. In the scene you describe, X-Ray isn’t the center of attention, and he realizes that he now never will be because Stanley and Zero have found the treasure and will escape with it. I think it’s a combination of guilt at how he treated them, and jealousy over what they have achieved.

I just wanted to say that I love this book and the twist ending! Louis Sachar is a wonderful author.

Oh.