Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Solmonath Rants (February Mini Rants)

An old name for February

The most common Old English name was Solmonath, which literally means “mud month.”

I'll start by noting that my oldest, largest potted plant seems to have developed some bad black mold in the soil. It's a Ficus tree I got back in 1992. If I kill it trying to kill the mold, at least I'll have the daughter tree I started from a single leaf in 2005.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

And my rant is, apparently I either ate or touched something I'm wildly allergic to, so am now scratching scratching scratching. Maybe I caught it from purplehorseshoe? Anyhow, benedryl is helping but ugh.

Last edited by kayT; 02-01-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: duh
Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 PM

So I went to the grocery store where I bought the pork butt. The manager called the meat market employee up. I told them the same story I told here. Meat Market guy (I doubt he's a trained butcher,he looked about 16yo), said it couldn't be true, that is a boneless cut. I told him emphatically that it was true, and don't call me a liar. He got all up in his feelings, the manager apologized and said he would refund my cost, anyway. I told him that wasn't necessary as we were able to eat it. And nobody died. I just wanted someone to know they were doing something wrong back there.
We decided maybe they weren't cleaning the meat cutters correctly and bone shards are getting in/on other cuts.
I feel better after I called them on it, I won't be buying meat there anymore, though.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

My minirant is about how apparently I can't understand this thread without I've read the one it's a sequel to.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
My 90-year-old father is in a nursing home that used to be a good place but has been going downhill since a change in administration.

Last week dad’s roommate died. Later that same day, the staff moved in a new roommate, complete with extensive isolation paraphernalia because the new guy has a C diff infection. Not only did the staff pair an infected person in a small room with a non-infected person, but both persons ate their meals in the communal dining room.

The situation was discovered by my sister the next day, and she raised a bit of hell. Still, it took the staff several days to relocate the infected roommate.
Update: It turns out the nursing home didn't move the C diff guy; he died on his third day in the room. Dad has now outlived four roommates. The nursing home doesn't give a crap. No solace, no comforting, no counseling.

The home quickly moved in a new roommate, who was a loud, obnoxious asshole, possibly violent. He threatened Dad when Dad asked him to turn down his TV -- and Dad is pretty much deaf. Then the home moved Dad to a new room. The good news is that it's a private room, something the family could not afford. The bad news is that neither Dad nor his family was notified of the move ahead of time. Dad does not like change and totally freaked out. Also, some of his stuff was damaged in the move.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:19 AM

There was a little going away celebration for Sam, a bartender, at a brewery near me. I guess I was the only one Sam talked with about his long term plans/goals. Everyone was speculating about Sam bartending somewhere else, or possibly "moving up" to wait tables somewhere nice. Well, Sam has his PhD in Chemistry and was just chilling tending bar while he waited for a "real" job to open up.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
So I went to the grocery store where I bought the pork butt. The manager called the meat market employee up. I told them the same story I told here. Meat Market guy (I doubt he's a trained butcher,he looked about 16yo), said it couldn't be true, that is a boneless cut. I told him emphatically that it was true, and don't call me a liar. He got all up in his feelings, the manager apologized and said he would refund my cost, anyway. I told him that wasn't necessary as we were able to eat it. And nobody died. I just wanted someone to know they were doing something wrong back there.
We decided maybe they weren't cleaning the meat cutters correctly and bone shards are getting in/on other cuts.
I feel better after I called them on it, I won't be buying meat there anymore, though.
You know, I hadn't thought of that. In my store they're scrupulous about cleaning those cutters after every use. I think everyone is? The only misplaced bone I've ever had was years ago with store-ground hamburg, Turned out it happened because the night person *forgot* to clean the machine before leaving. That's a health code violation.

Last edited by kiz; 02-02-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:19 AM

Most high schools in Osaka (Japan) have a rule that forbids students from dying their hair. That's how the rule is worded. And kids with naturally brown hair are often, under the auspices of this rule, forced to die their hair black or get kicked out of school. (Don't attempt to apply logic to this - logic does not work in Japan). My little baby has brown hair. If in 10 years or so you read of a gaijin burying a tomahawk in some principal's head, remember me kindly.

Last edited by Isamu; 02-02-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Well, have to talk to HR about switching insurance. Fun.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Most high schools in Osaka (Japan) have a rule that forbids students from dying their hair. That's how the rule is worded. And kids with naturally brown hair are often, under the auspices of this rule, forced to die their hair black or get kicked out of school. (Don't attempt to apply logic to this - logic does not work in Japan). My little baby has brown hair. If in 10 years or so you read of a gaijin burying a tomahawk in some principal's head, remember me kindly.
You were visiting Spain at the time, weren't you?
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
You were visiting Spain at the time, weren't you?
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:25 PM

WTF they have to dye brown hair black? That is the craziest shit I ever heard. Do they think they are lightening their hair if it is brown? Wha??!??
Old 02-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Poured some bleach in a bucket, added about 10 parts water and poured it all over the black mold in the pot last night. This morning, no sneezing the minute I walked into the room, no mold smell. Not even up close. Praise [insert deity here]. I'm going to purchase some anti-fungal stuff in the next few days just to be sure. Then I'll give it a couple of days to work and then flush the entire pot with water (in the shower) to clean out any excess chlorine. Then re-treat with anti-fungal just to be sure it doesn't come back.

And filled my low tire on my car with my bicycle pump since I wasn't going to pay $1.50 for air.

The stupidest part about that was the air pump at the local BP had VISA and other signs all over it. Would you run your credit card, for $1.50, through a machine at the far end of their parking lot that I bet they only look at when it isn't working? Not me.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Did the Ficus survive?
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 PM

No sudden wilting so far.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 PM

I am rooting for that Ficus.

(See what I did there?)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-02-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Why am I suddenly thinking of Ficus from Quark?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Do you have a Sheetz nearby? Their air pumps tend to be free (when the compressor is working, that is).

Good luck with the Ficus! My office plants got overwatered -- whoever handles the cleaning at night took it upon themselves to make sure every plant pot and bucket in the office was filled to the brim with water -- and one of them clearly has rotting roots now.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Ordered some stuff over internet, from a company which appears to be US-based (I have a strong suspicion there is some Chinese involved; the corporate parts of the page have grammar with the kind of mistakes I'm used to seeing from Chinese).

Please let the sizes be correct please let the sizes be correct please let the sizes be correct...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
You, sir, are a bonafide optimist. I salute you.
I just picked it up from the post and tried it on. It did come from China (not a surprise) and it is indeed the right size! (A happy surprise) I like people who follow their own sizing charts.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
WTF they have to dye brown hair black? That is the craziest shit I ever heard. Do they think they are lightening their hair if it is brown? Wha??!??
They say they suspect kids with brown hair are lightening their hair, and some kids do. But I don't believe that this is their real reason. Here's why. I know of a case where the parents proved to the school that their kid's hair is not dyed and the teachers agreed but the teachers did not let the kid participate in inter-school events because a brown-haired kid would make it look like the school did not maintain discipline and shame them in front of the other schools.

Last year a girl sued the Board of Education because of a skin condition that developed as a result of forced dyeing. The Board is sticking to their guns. I'm eagerly awaiting the verdict, but also a bit despondent because even if she wins, damages awarded in Japan are so low that they are never an incentive not to repeat the same behaviour.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
Well, have to talk to HR about switching insurance. Fun.
Mine got screwed up while I was out for my surgery last summer. It's being investigated right now as to who's responsible for the fuck-up.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pork bones crumble and shatter, so it is possible when it was trimmed some sort of wandered. I know I have to massage/feel up bone in pork chops for bone crumbles and splinters before I cook it, similar to feeling a fish fillet to remove bones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
There was an article in RocketNews about that earlier this year or late last year. My sympathies.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Ok, I've discovered the problem and it confirms my decision to fire my doctor.

I've been having issues my doctor speaking to me in what I considered a condescending manner, blowing off my health concerns and repeatedly pushing me to take drugs that I have refused to take.

For example, I'm diabetic and he keeps pushing me to take Invokana. Well, the side effects of that include increased leg amputations, over which they're being sued left and right. This last visit was the third time he tried to push it on me. I noted that, said 'for the last time, NO, I'm not taking that.' His response was "Well I still think you should consider it." Well bud, three times saying no is my limit. At that point you prove that you're not listening to me and I'm done.

So I sent a note to the clinic informing them of my issues with his attitude toward me and failure to properly address health concerns I was having and said that I no longer trusted him to treat me and would like to change to a different doctor in the clinic.

Well, over the last year or so, my blood sugar has been slowly climbing, into the 'uncontrolled' range, despite still being on the two diabetes meds I've been on for many years. Januvia and Metformin.

This morning I woke up and tested with nothing in my stomach. 156. Which is pretty damned high for a fasting test. I took my pills with two gulps of milk, drank half a can of Cherry Coke Zero and then tested again 40 minutes later. 254

Ok, so minimal calories and my blood sugar spikes almost 100 points? Something wrong here.

So I got on-line and started looking at drug interactions. I found that in people over 50 (I'm 55) taking the blood pressure med I started taking a year ago at his insistence (even though I'm really borderline on that), around 25% of people over 50 report that their blood sugar actually began climbing while taking those three medications together, and that this is particularly pronounced in women over 60. Oh, and the list of side effects reported in older people only grows longer and more terrifying the longer they take these three meds in combination.

BINGO

So I've already taken it today, but I'm going to stop immediately for 30 days and see if my blood sugar starts falling.

If it does, then I'm filing a complaint with the clinic and seeing if I can report this elsewhere.

Last edited by Chimera; 02-04-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Today's rant: coming down with a vomiting bug at work. If I recall correctly I haven't puked since 2005 when I had norovirus. Upchucking is still just as unpleasant as I remember it to be. Had to have a friend drive me home. Wouldn't have been a good idea to drive even if the weather was good, but today it was a nasty winter storm on top of everything.

At least I didn't throw up on any of the customers.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:40 PM

If I never post again, its because the Zombie Apocalypse started in Houston. Or maybe its because the Mist monsters are here. Or the stars are right and Cluthlu has risen.

I don't know, but somethings are crawling/slithering outside.

What? Yes, I am alone in a new home after dark and yes, I did spend the day binge reading unspeakable books, but I'm really sure that something bad is going on outside. The cats are all hiding and the hounds are lerting on every noise. Of course, they aren't reacting to my unease. I am now taking my phone, my glock, a pillow and blanket to hide in the closet. Or under the bed, I don't want the critters in my closet.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Judging from the number of explosive bangs I hear, I'm betting the local football team won the Super Bowl. Yay. Now just finish up quick so's I can go to bed without being startled into falling on the floor, m'kay?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
If I never post again, its because the Zombie Apocalypse started in Houston. Or maybe its because the Mist monsters are here. Or the stars are right and Cluthlu has risen.

I don't know, but somethings are crawling/slithering outside.

What? Yes, I am alone in a new home after dark and yes, I did spend the day binge reading unspeakable books, but I'm really sure that something bad is going on outside. The cats are all hiding and the hounds are lerting on every noise. Of course, they aren't reacting to my unease. I am now taking my phone, my glock, a pillow and blanket to hide in the closet. Or under the bed, I don't want the critters in my closet.
When my pups and cats act like that I always suspect a coyote close to the house. Do you live in the boonies? I have motion sensitive lights around my deck, occasionally they have tripped it, it's really fun in the house when that happens.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
When my pups and cats act like that I always suspect a coyote close to the house. Do you live in the boonies? I have motion sensitive lights around my deck, occasionally they have tripped it, it's really fun in the house when that happens.
The neighborhood dogs go nuts whenever one of our neighborhood coyotes meanders through. We also have an exploding bunny population here, so it's not unusual to find a coyote scouting out your front yard for 'em at dawn.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Gosh, Day 1 of no high blood pressure meds test and my blood sugar only rose 16 points in 40 minutes after taking my pills and eating breakfast. Might be something to this after all!

The Ficus is still alive too.

Last edited by Chimera; 02-05-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Gosh, Day 1 of no high blood pressure meds test and my blood sugar only rose 16 points in 40 minutes after taking my pills and eating breakfast. Might be something to this after all!

The Ficus is still alive too.
Wow. I'm glad you figured it out! What's the blood pressure med?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Losartan.

Losartan + Januvia + Metformin + > age 50 seems to be a very bad combination.

Last edited by Chimera; 02-05-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:46 PM

I'm glad both you and the ficus are better. Specially you, I'll admit it; I hope the ficus won't be sad to hear that.

Last edited by Nava; 02-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Wow, this is quite a change in just one day. We'll have to see how it goes in the next week or so, but I ate about a dozen skittles about 30 minutes ago to test my blood sugar, after eating one of those Healthy Choice Korean-inspired Power Bowls. I feel very sugar buzzed right now, but my blood sugar is "only" 183. After I'd hit 254 yesterday off a couple of swallows of milk.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Woot!
Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Dear people in social media and regular media.

Despite your almost constant predictions: Philadelphia is not burning. It did not burn. Tens of thousands of fans took to the streets and yes, there were some incidents. A single car flipped,some poles climbed, a few signal posts knocked down, and an awning trashed. Bad stuff, but barely a drop in the bucket compared to other cities that have won championships.

Yet, even today you are persisting with alternative facts. No, you did not hear calls for the National Guard on the police scanner. No that was the sound of fireworks, not gunfire (seriously, if someone is firing a gun in your neighborhood you will know), no the city is not 'still burning', and no the police (who made 3 arrests all night) were not treating the celebrators with kid's gloves 'because they were white'. There were plenty of fans of all ethnicities on Broad street. Yes, it could be loud, and people were drunk. But it stopped around 1:30 because most folks realized that "Won the Superbowl yesterday" is not a recognized holiday.

So can we stop with the "Philly is gonna burrrrrn" memes? Maybe you should try another target with your attempts at humor, like making fun of airline food or something.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:00 PM

And we in Minnesota were treated to exactly ZERO stories about Philly fans trashing our fair city after the game. Part of that may have been the cold (below zero, -14 wind chill when the game got out), part of it the high security, but last I've seen, zero incidents.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 PM

The stars weren't right last night, the scary shadows on the walls were the result of a lot of wind. The hounds were 'lerting because I had managed to freak myself out with too many scary books and the cats were hiding because they didn't want the 'lerting hounds running in to them.

All except Lucky. He just slept in his bed until I had just gone to sleep and then woke me up because he wanted a snacky. At which time I couldn't get back to sleep because I can never force myself to sleep by reminding myself that if I don't go to sleep right now, I will be functioning very badly in the morning.

Not in the 'burbs, so I doubt there were any coyotes or feral pics wandering around, it was just me being stupid.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 PM

Well, I am glad that mystery is solved. Little sleep last night means you will sleep good tonight.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-05-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:10 AM

I have caught the bug going around my work. It's the bug which bloomed into full-force flu for a handful of coworkers who are still out.

Um, no, I didn't get a flu shot. I honestly didn't think I'd need it.

I'm not running a fever so I'm just hoping this is bad cold.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
I have caught the bug going around my work. It's the bug which bloomed into full-force flu for a handful of coworkers who are still out.
A "bug" either is the flu or it isn't the flu, it doesn't "bloom" into flu in some people and not in others.

Quote:
Um, no, I didn't get a flu shot. I honestly didn't think I'd need it.
Are you immune to all illness? Would you prefer to be sick or very sick? Granted it's not perfect but it makes it more likely you can skip the illness entirely and if you do get it you'll have a shorter, less intense illness. Also, if you don't get the flu you can't give it to anyone else. When mom said "bring enough for everyone" she didn't mean viruses.

Also, those of us who can't get the shot for medical reasons would appreciate it if more people got it and increase the herd immunity.

Quote:
I'm not running a fever so I'm just hoping this is bad cold.
For your sake, I hope so, too. Real flu is a nasty, nasty illness.

On top of flu, there's a vomiting bug going around where I work. Joy. Got hit by it a couple days ago.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
On top of flu, there's a vomiting bug going around where I work. Joy. Got hit by it a couple days ago.

Hopefully those affected visited the morons who decided that sick time was not necessary.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM

My daughter is sick again. Last week it was a stomach bug, this weekend it was a sore throat and now it's blooming into a low-grade fever, even sorer throat, exhaustion and lots of sweating. Given that 3 kids were sent home from school from her class alone yesterday with flu, and the teacher was also sent home, I'm assuming the worst and keeping her home until the fever's gone and I'm comfortable that she only has a nasty cold.

That said, is it selfish of me to be a little annoyed that every time I have a presentation or face to face meeting with someone one of the kids a) gets sick, b) breaks something or c) requires stitches?

I had 3 in-person meetings and a presentation scheduled today. The presentation I can do on a webex, but for fuck's sake, I was talking to several different people about new positions within my company and it would've been really damn nice to do that so I could make a decision already. It's taken me a couple of weeks to work up the stones to have these discussions and I'd like to just do it already.

Ordinarily I'd just ask my husband to cover at home, but given that I was at a conference all last week and he had the pleasure of managing everyone, that'd be somewhat shitty of me. Dammit.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
There was a little going away celebration for Sam, a bartender, at a brewery near me. I guess I was the only one Sam talked with about his long term plans/goals. Everyone was speculating about Sam bartending somewhere else, or possibly "moving up" to wait tables somewhere nice. Well, Sam has his PhD in Chemistry and was just chilling tending bar while he waited for a "real" job to open up.
I'm not understanding this rant because I'm not seeing what's upsetting you.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I'm guessing "Going away party for a guy no one bothered to speak to enough to know why he was leaving, even at the damned party."
Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Well, it's a minirant. Just over how people assumed that the bartender was leaving a bartending job for another bartending/waiting job. The guy has a PhD but nobody knew that, yet everyone loved the guy.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM

I'm just amusing myself imagining the cocktails a PhD level chemist could mix up.

Maybe I should go back to school and get my PhD in Mixology.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Losartan.

Losartan + Januvia + Metformin + > age 50 seems to be a very bad combination.
Thanks! Of those three Mr. H is only on Metformin, but I'll certainly be alert if he has any medication changes.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
A "bug" either is the flu or it isn't the flu, it doesn't "bloom" into flu in some people and not in others.
Correction: The flu is going around my work right now as well as a nasty cold/bug type virus. I've got the latter. I dummied up on OTC cold med all day so I could at least appear somewhat productive when I wasn't running out back to sneeze and/or cough.

Quote:
Are you immune to all illness? Would you prefer to be sick or very sick? Granted it's not perfect but it makes it more likely you can skip the illness entirely and if you do get it you'll have a shorter, less intense illness. Also, if you don't get the flu you can't give it to anyone else. When mom said "bring enough for everyone" she didn't mean viruses.
No, I'm human like everyone else. It's been a long while, though, since I've come down with something like this. And I will admit that I've been lax in getting a shot.

Quote:
Also, those of us who can't get the shot for medical reasons would appreciate it if more people got it and increase the herd immunity.
:steps away from Broomstick:

Quote:
For your sake, I hope so, too. Real flu is a nasty, nasty illness.
A coworker's husband has been in the hospital for the past week with it. He has something else going on which suppresses his natural immunity. Her schedule has been reduced so she can spend time with him. Another coworker contracted pneumonia after supposedly recovering from it. He's been out for almost a month now.

Quote:
Ew. Those types are the worst. My sympathies.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 AM

I am coming out the otherside of a nasty virus. It really knocked me for a loop. I am still coughing up lungs every few hours. No more cough meds, Dr. said I need to cough, to rid myself of fluid and junk in my bronchials. So now I cough, hack, spit and repeat.
I feel better, though.
And so far lil'wrekker has been well, she said a lot of people are sick in her dorm. She has had the flu shot, I don't expect that to protect her much.
She has a large part in the spring musical, she needs to be able to rehearse. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:11 AM

My mother has been getting it for several years now, so far the worst she's had was one very mild case. This is a woman who used to spend the winters somewhere between "you look like you're dying" and "you look like you died". It works.