Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 AM

I hate it when "that" happens

I have a workday morning routine of setting the alarm for 14 minutes before I need to get up and then hitting the "snooze" button twice before actually getting out of bed. Twice. Not once, not thrice, but twice. I want, nay need, two warnings before the workday starts. Occasionally I will not remember hitting the snooze button the first time. I obviously do, because the second snooze goes off 7 minutes later, but I just don't wake enough to consciously realize it. Then, when the 2nd alarm goes off and it's 7 minutes later than I thought it should be, it just starts the day off wrong. I get no less sleep, but I just hate getting "cheated" out of one warning. Irrational and inconsequential, but there it is.

What's your "I hate it when 'that' happens"?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 AM

I hate it when I see someone on the street, or even on TV, and I know that person from somewhere, but can't tell you their name or where I know them from. Sometimes, about 10-15 minutes later, I will suddenly remember who they are and sometimes even their name, but at the moment I can't retrieve that information, which can lead to an embarrassing conversation on the street if they happen to remember me. I should say that I have never had a good memory even as a child, so it's not's like it gotten much worse as I've gotten older, but it's just more frustrating for me now than it used to be.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM
born to be shunned

Broken shoelaces. Even when it happens at home and I have extra laces around its one of those things that just ruins my day. Broken fingers are easier for me to take than those damn laces.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Mine is the one that has her saying, "don't worry, it's common, it happens to every guy, and it's not a big deal."
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

If I drop something in the morning I'll be dropping things all day. Maybe I'll drop the comb in the bathroom. Then I'll go to grab my keys off the table and they'll slip out of my hand and fall to the floor. I'll be bobbling things all through the day, and before the day is over I'm going to spill some liquid.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Speaking of alarms, I usually wake up before mine, so I can turn it off before hearing that godawful noise. Two "I hate it when" moments are:

I reset the alarm and get back in bed, and it's no time at all before it goes off again. Like they say about being put under -- no time passes and it's that awful noise again.

When I am watching a show and an alarm goes off that sounds like mine. Even when fully awake, I am still horrified by that noise. It represents everything bad.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 PM

Sound effects on the radio while I'm driving. Police sirens are the bestest. I despise the panicked "where's the cop, I don't see flashing lights, do I have to pull over" feeling FOR NO REASON.

But on-the-radio car horns are also good. And music with synthesized notes that sound a little bit similar (timbre and pitch wise) to car horns are also awesome, although I can usually decode that after the flash of anxiety wears off.

Last edited by gnoitall; 02-22-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

When I feel like I really really need to sneeze, and then I don't.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
Sound effects on the radio while I'm driving. Police sirens are the bestest. I despise the panicked "where's the cop, I don't see flashing lights, do I have to pull over" feeling FOR NO REASON.
Heh. With the blue-tinted lights more and more people have, when they shine through the guard rails and "flash" in my rearview.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:48 PM

When I'm just a little stoned and making a lemon meringue pie, and I grab the baking powder instead of the cornstarch.

I mean, it's awesome to watch, but the pie filling is ruint.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 02-22-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM

When dog#1 says she must go potty. I put her off one time and then she insists MUST go potty. I get up put my shoes on and jacket on, get the leash, go thru the wiggly crap to hook he up, open the door and she sits or lays down. Will not move! At. All.
Pisses me off. I have pick her up and take her off the deck, to the grass. And of course it takes FOREVER for her to find the spot she needs to pee on. Aaaccckkk!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM

Sometimes I'll spot an item around the house and think, "Hmmm, that's an unusual place for 'object' to be." Later my wife will say, "Have you seen 'object'?"

Of course all I can remember is that I saw it in an unusual place - never which particular unusual place it was.

Not sure if it annoys me or my wife more.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:46 PM

Spacing off cooking dinner ... like I just did ... looks like Cheerios for me tonight ...
Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 PM

What is "spacing off cooking dinner" mean?
I space-out and forget to do things. Spacing off sounds more fun!
Old 02-22-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Mine is the one that has her saying, "don't worry, it's common, it happens to every guy, and it's not a big deal."
Broken shoelace?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:12 PM

I have a magic laundry sack. I use it to carry the clean clothes back from the laundry room, and often live out of it for a few days* before putting the clothes away.

If it's full of dark clothes, and I reach in for a Navy blue sock, there will only be black socks in the sack, and vice versa. If it's carrying the bleach load, and I reach in for a dish towel, I will only be able to find white socks. Likewise, if I reach in the very next morning, having neither added nor removed anything at all, I reach in for a white sock, and there will only be dish towels to be found!

It appears to be one of those standard blue IKEA bags, but I'm now convinced it's in fact a product of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes(TM).

*Or until it's empty, whichever comes first.

Last edited by TruCelt; 02-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:10 AM

I too live out of the clean laundry basket. When I do get off my butt to actually put stuff away, I hate when I grab all the whites to stuff in my underwear drawer and unknowingly include a pillow cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann
Broken shoelace?
Hee.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

When I shart.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I hate it when "that" happens

SNL 'Willie and Frankie sketch.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM

When I'm waiting at a stop sign and there's sufficient gap behind the car crossing in front of me to go after it passes, but it gradually decelerates as it passes, allowing the string of cars behind it to close the gap.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:14 PM

I hate it when I put something away in a safe place and 3 months later I have absolutely no idea where that safe place is. I hate to leave stuff laying around so I am always finding a place for things, but that doesn't mean I remember where I put anything.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM

You would be pulled over by the police for breaking the laws of physics. If you can come up with a peer reviewed paper that will show mathematically that it could happen come back to us and we can talk more about it.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:47 PM

This is a self-imposed "that."

All of my accessories -- phone, wallet, key wallets, briefcase, daytimer, sunglasses, and so on -- are black. So are my cars' interiors. At least once a week I panic because I can't find one of these things. Invariably, it is sitting on a (black) passenger seat or stuffed in a (black) car cubby hole; sometimes I go through the car several times before my eyeballs spot the item. There is, of course, an easy fix for this, but I love black so much I'm willing to accommodate loss terror.

I hate when I think my Kindle is plugged in when I'm reading in bed, but the charger end has snuck out when I turn over and the low battery warning comes on. Given that I read four-five hours an evening, this is very bothersome.

Ah, First World Problems are the best.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post

But on-the-radio car horns are also good. And music with synthesized notes that sound a little bit similar (timbre and pitch wise) to car horns are also awesome, although I can usually decode that after the flash of anxiety wears off.
Yes, I hates them forever.

When Old Cat goes into the litter box but doesn't remember his back end is still out, so he poops right outside the box. We call that "Stinking outside the box". But he is about 16 and we love him anyway. He is a Maine Coon and he loves us back.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
Not once, not thrice, but twice.
So you DON'T want me to bunt?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
This is a self-imposed "that."

All of my accessories -- phone, wallet, key wallets, briefcase, daytimer, sunglasses, and so on -- are black. So are my cars' interiors.

<snip>

Ah, First World Problems are the best.
My similar FWP -- my new amazon credit card is the same color as many a restaurant billfold thingie. I had a card I loved that was bright green and did not choose to change to the almost-black on they sent. I've left it behind at least three times now.

(Of course one time did result in a funny. The waitress took a while to find it and then came back with it "Here it is, save the cows!" I walked a sufficient distance away and said to my friend, "'Save the cows'? I didn't know the cows were in trouble!" "Safe and sound" sounds a lot like "save the cows" in a busy restaurant.)
Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM

I hate when I wake up in the morning and find out I am awake. Bummer.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:14 PM

It's annoying when my dogs have to go out in the middle of the night with stomach problems. I can still go back to sleep and get a few more hours. I hate it when they insist on going out 30 minutes before the alarm goes off. No getting back to sleep at that point.

I hate it when someone pulls out in front of me and drives along significantly under the speed limit. If they had waited until I passed, there was no one behind me and they could have played grandpa on a Sunday drive all day long but noooooo, they have to make me practice deep breathing so I don't lose my mind.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 02-23-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 PM

1.)
When you are trying to fix something and even though you have the right size tool for the job, it somehow keeps slipping off of the bolt or hardware in question.
2.)Stubbing your toe on something, cringing, walking away and stubbing the same toe again on the same damned thing a minute later. Fills me with the kind of rage that makes me want to take it out on the nearest entertainment center or end table.
3.)Related to above; when you open the freezer or refrigerator and something falls out and always, as if controlled by a guidance system, falls corners out on a toe.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I hate when I wake up in the morning and find out I am awake. Bummer.
Related: https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...eories.jpg&f=1
Old 02-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

When customers bring items they don't want to the register and then dump them anywhere. How hard is it to hand them to the cashier?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

When I forget a word. It drives me crazy until I remember it.
When I buy something then forget I bought it so I buy another one. It's even worse when in find out that I overpayed for both of them.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM

When you are drinking a nice glass of iced tea. And you forget and think you're drinking a coke. It makes the tea taste funny. It really does.