Old 03-30-2018, 03:18 PM

What’s so bad about processed foods?

The term "processed foods" reminds me of the BPA issue. BPA is just one of many chemical additives that have similar negative effects on human hormone levels. Instead of talking about the root of the problem, the estrogenic properties of these plastic additives, the FDA and industry were willing to make one of them the scapegoat in order to calm the public and continue doing business as usual.

I have sat in the store myself wondering, how do I identify this "processed food" that causes colon cancer so I can avoid it. I am not sure this column makes it much clearer. Having more information is great, but it makes no difference if the manufacturers don't have to label their products in a meaningful way; it's just mystery meat. Where is the FDA when you need them?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:25 PM

Column: What's so bad about processed foods?
Old 03-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprokos View Post
I have sat in the store myself wondering, how do I identify this "processed food" that causes colon cancer so I can avoid it. I am not sure this column makes it much clearer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I think your link is what prompted the question, DC.

Yeah, Unca Cece wasn't super helpful there, but covered the basics. The chief problem with processed food is the removal of fiber content and reduction of nutrients along with the addition of salt, sugar, and fat. That point kind of gets lost because the column is sidetracked trying to mediate the word "processed."
Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 PM

Apologies if this is on wrong place, Would a moderator please fix it.

On a related thread " How did bread get invented? " I suspect compassion as one missing link.

Meaning chewing grains makes sense, leading to being able to swallow them. Babe in arms does not have teeth, but Mum / shared parents chewed up grains for child. Child being clumsy at eating results in splattering.

As grandparents have lost teeth they used things in the environment to grind up the grains instead or chewing to feed themselves and the children in the tribe. These tools, the grinding rocks were dropped where ever. Someone noticed - probably several someones - that the tools with 'flour' left in the rock crevices and then left by the fire then used again produced the tastiest ground grains.
Add time , rain, splattering by children / adults with no or few teeth you eventually get bread.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
This 80s Wendy's commercial didn't like the idea of processed chicken nuggets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_oem9BqUTI

"P-Processed?!"
"That's where they take a lot of chickens and assemble the respective parts."
Old 03-31-2018, 11:41 AM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

<sidebar>

What is with Slug's illustration? Not his best work, I had to check the attribution to be sure it was even one of his.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm not going into full-blown crisis of faith, the SD is tumbling, CECIL-DOUBT, although I'm shook up. I'll chalk it up to the problem of evil under a benevolent Creator, or, if I may be sacrilegious, recognizing even Homer nods:

This about the French study. That about the French study. Another thing about the French study.

Cite?
Old 03-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Say it ain't so! Maybe it's just the mobile version that doesn't display any cited sources? (Can anyone confirm?) But yeah, no more than "big French study" is not what one would expect from The Master.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Seriously, number of ingredients is part of the definition of "processed"? So if I take fresh brown rice, fresh kidney beans, fresh onions, fresh cheese, or fresh tomatoes by themselves, that's good, but if I mix them all together, suddenly that's "processed" and therefore suspect? Yeah, yeah, that's not the entire definition, but why would they even include number of ingredients at all?
Old 03-31-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Seriously, number of ingredients is part of the definition of "processed"? So if I take fresh brown rice, fresh kidney beans, fresh onions, fresh cheese, or fresh tomatoes by themselves, that's good, but if I mix them all together, suddenly that's "processed" and therefore suspect? Yeah, yeah, that's not the entire definition, but why would they even include number of ingredients at all?
No, I think that if you take fresh produce and cook up your casserole or stir fry or whatever, that is called “prepared food”. It differs from processed food in that the result is meant for timely gnoshing rather than at some later date. You do not go to Chez Limace to dine on processed food.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
The chief problem with processed food is the removal of fiber content and reduction of nutrients along with the addition of salt, sugar, and fat
Really? I thought it was nitrites and nitrates whether natural or not? The story I remember making headlines was “processed meats” cause colon cancer. The reason they do was never addressed much. And certainly meats don't have fiber removed. I would love to have clarification on this topic. I still hit the store wondering of i can go back to buying smoked ham and bacon.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I think your link is what prompted the question, DC.
Which is why it was posted. The post could also have included the customary "It's customary to include a link to the post in question when commenting on Columns/Reports. It's on the front page now, but threads will live forever."
Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Gosh,, you know, I think the whole point of the question was misunderstood here. It was never about processed foods. It was about processed meats, thus the reference to chicken nuggets. The research into processed meats is what's been in the news lately because they have been linked to colon cancer. Somehow Cecil got sidetracked into processed foods and then into talking about what processed really means.

And thank you for adding the link to the original article.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprokos View Post
Really? I thought it was nitrites and nitrates whether natural or not? The story I remember making headlines was “processed meats” cause colon cancer. The reason they do was never addressed much. And certainly meats don't have fiber removed. I would love to have clarification on this topic. I still hit the store wondering of i can go back to buying smoked ham and bacon.
They do not cause cancer, as such. There is evidence of carcinogenesis in lab animals, but the stats are not entirely conclusive. The active agent are metabolites called nitrosamines. There is some evidence that vitamin C can effectively break them down, except, when there is high fat content, it promotes them instead.

It is confusing and complicated. Your best bet is enough fiber to push that shit through with due speed. The more time it hangs around, the more damage it can do.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
They do not cause cancer, as such. There is evidence of carcinogenesis in lab animals, but the stats are not entirely conclusive. The active agent are metabolites called nitrosamines. There is some evidence that vitamin C can effectively break them down, except, when there is high fat content, it promotes them instead.

It is confusing and complicated. Your best bet is enough fiber to push that shit through with due speed. The more time it hangs around, the more damage it can do.
Interestingly, nitrosamines are also a major factor in tobacco carcinogenicity, even when it's not smoked and inhaled. As with meats, it has everything to do with how the tobacco is cured and processed.
These nitrosamine carcinogens are formed from nicotine and related compounds by a nitrosation reaction that occurs during the curing and processing of tobacco.[1] Essentially the plant's natural alkaloids combine with nitrate forming the nitrosamines."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba...c_nitrosamines
Old 04-01-2018, 11:11 AM

Beer. That could be a problem for one or two people.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Which is why it was posted. The post could also have included the customary "It's customary to include a link to the post in question when commenting on Columns/Reports. It's on the front page now, but threads will live forever."
It should have. As it read to me, the link was posted as the answer to the OP question rather than providing a reference, as the context was left open.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Really? The context was left open?

The fact that the thread was posted in a forum called "Comments on Cecil's Columns" wasn't enough context for you to infer that it was probably a comment one of Cecil's columns?

Context aside, I wish the "comment on this column" link took logged-in users to a composition page pre-populated with a link to the column in question. Alternatively, when someone tried to create a new thread in this forum, a little PHP script could check the first post for a valid link to a column. If there's no valid link, vBulletin refuses to create the thread. But if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Last edited by EdelweissPirate; 04-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
It should have. As it read to me, the link was posted as the answer to the OP question rather than providing a reference, as the context was left open.
I'm sorry that you've been around this board for at least 5 years, but.... you must be new here. And by "here", I mean this sub-board. A very large percentage of these threads fail to abide by the general rule to link to the Column being commented on, and almost invariably the first reply in such case will be someone providing a link to the column, or in the case where it's unclear, asking the OP to link to the column. It's so common that I don't fault someone posting such a link for not being a junior mod and adding that a link to the column in question is part of the topic creation rules.

A better solution going forward would be to have a new thread created by the admins each time an article goes up and have the "comment on this column" link go there. For the classic articles, they can probably find one that already exists.

Last edited by glowacks; 04-03-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Eh, maybe, but it seems like "This is the place to comment on this column" would make for a boring OP. And when the comments do come, sometimes they're on such wildly different points that it makes sense for them to be in different threads.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdelweissPirate View Post
Really? The context was left open?

The fact that the thread was posted in a forum called "Comments on Cecil's Columns" wasn't enough context for you to infer that it was probably a comment one of Cecil's columns?
I might be an outlier but I actually don't read the individual forums. I click on "New Posts" and read the mish-mash of what's been posted since I last visited. In all the years I've read SDMB, this is the first time the forum itself was relevant. Never even occurred to me to check...
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

The forum itself is also relevant in the Pit, since there are a lot of things that are allowed there but not anywhere else on the board.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornyrose View Post
. Someone noticed - probably several someones - that the tools with 'flour' left in the rock crevices and then left by the fire then used again produced the tastiest ground grains.
Add time , rain, splattering by children / adults with no or few teeth you eventually get bread.
You get more calories from cooked grain. Someone must of noticed that if you eat raw grain, you starve to death, but if you cook it first, your many children grow up big and strong and look after you in your old age.

TSD must have covered this sometimes, but I don't have a link.

You do get some calories from raw grains, and if you eat too much anyway eating raw grain might be a good way of limiting your calorie intake. In a subsistence culture, the difference between having enough to eat and not having enough to eat can be critical.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM

OK, back on track. I wanted to add this for posterity. This is what the original question must have been referring to. The fact that the bacon industry took a giant hit the month after this news was announced, and the fact that business totally rebounded due to consumer amnesia and a lack of the FDA requiring labelling show how important labels are. Without them... people forget. I will go ahead and presume that's what the meat industry wanted.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...-sausages?CMP=
https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/w...es-cancer.html
http://allthatsinteresting.com/bacon-cancer (refers to the links above)
Old 04-25-2018, 05:40 PM

Forgot to add that it would be far clearer to call the meats that have been linked to cancer 'preserved meats' not processed. Just as the original question asked, what is it about processing, blending fresh chicken in my blender, that is so bad for us. It's not the processing, it's the preserving of the meat. Then we can understand it's the preserving process that is causing the issue whether it be curing or soaking in nitrates or nitrites, etc..