Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436

The Expanse; season 3 (open spoilers)


In honor of my birthday Syfy is premiering season 3 of The Expanse tonight at 9pm ET.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
  #2  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:20 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,102
Yay!
  #3  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,167
Oh, wow! So excited.

I have to re-watch the last 2-3 of last year first!

That moment last year when he met the "actual" Julie Mao was powerful beyond powerful.
  #4  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
Well this season is off to a great start. I have no doubt Avasarala is going to make her way back to Earth, and likely invent an entirely new execution method for Errinwright. Also I didn't realize Alex had a (ex?) wife & kid back on Mars; was that mentioned previously or is it new information?
  #5  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Lightray's Avatar
Lightray is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 6,044
Alex's family and how he left them behind to pilot the Roci goes back to, I think, season one. Just hasn't come up often.

Thank Og this isn't on opposite Legion this year. Although, having never watched in realtime, it seemed like there were a lot of commercial breaks.
  #6  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
Well except for some holographic signs protest rallies haven't changed. Chrisjen held up better than I though she would all things considered. The Secretary-General is getting some character development. And was it just me, it for a brief moment did it seem like Mao was on the verge of expressing regret or disgust at how the children were being used?
  #7  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:46 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,788
I am happy to see Anna. One of my favorite characters in the book series - though I have a soft spot for Christian characters who aren't stereotypes or merely for mockery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  #8  
Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well except for some holographic signs protest rallies haven't changed.


They had "Eros was an Inside Job!" signs, so that's one difference: the Conspiracy Theorists are actually correct about something!
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Last edited by Horatius; 04-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.
  #9  
Old 04-20-2018, 10:30 AM
PlumBob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Michigan, Metro Detroit
Posts: 198
I thought episode 2 was great. The the space battle with its changes in attitude & G forces was tense and fascinating.
  #10  
Old 04-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Hypno-Toad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: By the Caloosahatchee
Posts: 11,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Well except for some holographic signs protest rallies haven't changed. Chrisjen held up better than I though she would all things considered. The Secretary-General is getting some character development. And was it just me, it for a brief moment did it seem like Mao was on the verge of expressing regret or disgust at how the children were being used?
I dunno. He seemed to be just regretting the whole problem.

Also, it looks like Amos has transferred his loyalties to Holden.
__________________
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Last edited by Hypno-Toad; 04-20-2018 at 12:37 PM.
  #11  
Old 04-20-2018, 01:24 PM
scr4 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 16,223
I'm enjoying the 3rd season. But there's something I seem to have missed. Didn't Avasarala/Draper go up to orbit just for a meeting with Mao on his yacht? It didn't seem like she was there for very long before Errinwright tried to get her killed. In the meantime, the Rocinante just recently left Ganymede with no specific destination, and in the last episode they debated whether to go to Ceres or Io (deciding on Io). Io and Ganymed are both moons of Jupiter, and Ceres is in the asteroid belt, between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

So how did they end up being anywhere close to each other???
  #12  
Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Declan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie , Ontario
Posts: 5,441
I swear some branch of the military is going to use that scene for securing your work area.
__________________
What would Bugs Bunny say
  #13  
Old 04-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
So how did they end up being anywhere close to each other???


Yeah, that's one weakness of the show as compared to the books. They've done a pretty good job overall with the space travel stuff, but they're definitely sweeping travel times under the rug for the purposes of Drama. In the book, there are many scenes similar to what we've seen in the show, but the set-up is different, allowing for the actual physics of interplanetary travel to take place. The timescale of the show feels like at most a few months since the destruction of the Cant, while in the books, at this point of the story, years have passed.

But I'm willing to give them a pass on this, since they do so much other stuff well.
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  #14  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
It's nice that Mme. Avasarala realized opening up was her best strategy right away. Also I did not realize until that that she's been wearing heels the whole time she's been in space until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
I dunno. He seemed to be just regretting the whole problem...
Well, even evil has standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yeah, that's one weakness of the show as compared to the books. They've done a pretty good job overall with the space travel stuff, but they're definitely sweeping travel times under the rug for the purposes of Drama...
I've been imaging the difference in pre and post Epstein Drive travel times as analogous to the Age of Sail and the Age of Steam, but where was Admiral Nguyen that he was able to get to the UNN Agatha King in what seems like hours? Was he all the way back on Earth? Interplanetary seems more reminiscent of traveling on an ocean liner than a jetliner.
  #15  
Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 AM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I've been imaging the difference in pre and post Epstein Drive travel times as analogous to the Age of Sail and the Age of Steam, but where was Admiral Nguyen that he was able to get to the UNN Agatha King in what seems like hours? Was he all the way back on Earth? Interplanetary seems more reminiscent of traveling on an ocean liner than a jetliner.


And tonight's episode just made it all the more obvious, with that railgun attack on the Martian's weapons platforms. The display made it clear that the platforms were significant distances from Earth (Earth's orbit around the Sun was clear on the display), but the railgun rounds took only a few seconds to reach their targets, and the Martian missile wasn't all that much slower. Considering that light takes 8 minutes to travel from the Sun to Earth, these weapons were moving faster than light.

Good for Drama, bad for Physics, I guess.
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  #16  
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 PM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,663
Horatius, I havn't seen the episode yet, but I'm goint to try to fanwank that away by saying that having maps that show actual distances between things in space would be a really bad idea because planets are so small compared to the space in between them that it would be a much better idea to have maps that show positional relationships rather than distance relationships. What do you think?
  #17  
Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Horatius, I havn't seen the episode yet, but I'm goint to try to fanwank that away by saying that having maps that show actual distances between things in space would be a really bad idea because planets are so small compared to the space in between them that it would be a much better idea to have maps that show positional relationships rather than distance relationships. What do you think?


Nope. Yes, they expand the sizes of the planets to make them visible, but when you've got an image of Earth in the same frame as a big giant glowy gas ball thingy, it's hard not to conclude that the scale is at least one AU, which we know is about 8 light minutes.

Nice try, though!
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  #18  
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
Well so much for Mao's attack of conscience. The "dissembled" nurse was pretty unexpected.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 05-02-2018 at 10:18 PM.
  #19  
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Horatius, I havn't seen the episode yet, but I'm goint to try to fanwank that away by saying that having maps that show actual distances between things in space would be a really bad idea because planets are so small compared to the space in between them that it would be a much better idea to have maps that show positional relationships rather than distance relationships. What do you think?
Nope, there is no saving it. Here is the hologram. Earth's orbit is the blue circle, Mars' orbit is the red circle, the ship positions are the dotted circles. I just looked at the scene, and all ships were hit at around the same time (no matter how far away they were) around 45 seconds after the railgun launches. So for the furtherest target (which was on the opposite of Mars' orbit from Earth) the railgun rounds were traveling at approximately 28 times the speed of light.
  #20  
Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 AM
MeanJoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Nope, there is no saving it. Here is the hologram. Earth's orbit is the blue circle, Mars' orbit is the red circle, the ship positions are the dotted circles. I just looked at the scene, and all ships were hit at around the same time (no matter how far away they were) around 45 seconds after the railgun launches. So for the furtherest target (which was on the opposite of Mars' orbit from Earth) the railgun rounds were traveling at approximately 28 times the speed of light.
I realize that for t.v. they have to make concessions to time/distance but they at least made the point that the railgun fire at different times to ensure the impacts hit all 5 simultaneously. That for dramatic purposes they fired within seconds of each other and total travel time was too short for the distance is acceptable to me. Otherwise, we're sitting staring at people staring at a hologram for minutes, hours, or days...
__________________
Father to sassy girls. Husband to a mad wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  #21  
Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
MeanJoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,331
I got caught up on the first 3 episodes I had on DVR this week. I'm so glad this show is back. I don't know how "bold" of a statement this is but in the modern era this is the best sci-fi show I've ever seen. I was a big fan of BSG, accepted that there were those filler episodes, and even though I didn't care for the direction the overall story took it still was an excellent show. The Expanse (in my opinion) just blows it away... so far. Some comments on first 3 episodes:
  • I've never found Bobbi to be that sexy. I mean, as an actress she is very attractive but in this role she hasn't really quite tickled the fancy. Until I saw her in her power armor. Perhaps that says more about me than anything.
  • The Razorback was not what I had in mind from reading the books but now that I saw it on t.v., it really could not have been better. In my mind from the books, I imagined a MUCH more narrow ship and a far more cramped interior. I realize now that my mental picture really wasn't logical but the show really nailed a "racing ship" perfectly.
  • I wish Avasarala was my grandmother. Not my mother though, I'd probably be completely damaged emotionally. But she would be a kick-ass grandmother to have in your life. She continues to be my favorite on this show.
  • I don't disagree with some of the questions about the rail gun/time/distance arguments in this thread. To be honest, my interpretation of the scene was these were stealth weapon platforms that Mars had managed to position to a close proximity to Earth. It wasn't that they were out near Mars. Maybe I mis-understood but it is just such a minor quibble to me that I'm not really concerned.
__________________
Father to sassy girls. Husband to a mad wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  #22  
Old 05-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
  • I don't disagree with some of the questions about the rail gun/time/distance arguments in this thread. To be honest, my interpretation of the scene was these were stealth weapon platforms that Mars had managed to position to a close proximity to Earth. It wasn't that they were out near Mars. Maybe I mis-understood but it is just such a minor quibble to me that I'm not really concerned.
Except that the hologram speaks for itself. (Well, I don't think it actually speaks, but you can look at it and see that the ships are positioned at different points of Mars' orbital radius for some reason.)
  #23  
Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
I got caught up on the first 3 episodes I had on DVR this week. I'm so glad this show is back. I don't know how "bold" of a statement this is but in the modern era this is the best sci-fi show I've ever seen. I was a big fan of BSG, accepted that there were those filler episodes, and even though I didn't care for the direction the overall story took it still was an excellent show. The Expanse (in my opinion) just blows it away... so far. Some comments on first 3 episodes:
No! BSG is better by a lot. Love the Expanse, but I am in the "BSG is the best show of all time" group.

I even like the final episode of BSG. An almost perfect-in-all-ways show, for me.

Expanse is great, but not up to that level.
  #24  
Old 05-03-2018, 02:10 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
And tonight's episode just made it all the more obvious, with that railgun attack on the Martian's weapons platforms. The display made it clear that the platforms were significant distances from Earth (Earth's orbit around the Sun was clear on the display), but the railgun rounds took only a few seconds to reach their targets, and the Martian missile wasn't all that much slower. Considering that light takes 8 minutes to travel from the Sun to Earth, these weapons were moving faster than light.

Good for Drama, bad for Physics, I guess.
Yeah, that bothered me too, and I tried doing a mental "edit" after the shots were away, pretending there was a time jump, but there wasn't. The fact that they had real time communication with the rail guns, that had to have been at least more than a few light seconds, and probably several minutes, away was a bit "off" as well.

It's a small nitpick, and the Expanse hasn't had too many of them (the Jupiter Moons tour in the last season being a big one), but it does pull me out of it for a moment when I see the laws of physics broken that badly.
  #25  
Old 05-03-2018, 04:50 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,102
Remember: what we're seeing is a representation/adaptation of the true events of the Great Solar System War as it really happened out there in the multiverse; in reality, I'm sure that there was a whole lot more waiting around and picking noses in the war room than in episode 3 of season 3, but the representation accelerated it for dramatic purposes. They still probably could have done it with cuts and shots of impatient bureaucrats, but oh well.

I find canon and fiction inconsistencies a lot easier to handle if I pretend that every story really happened somewhere out there in the multiverse, and Earth writers and producers are just doing their best to adapt it, sometimes making mistakes. Even for big literary series like GRRM's -- the story of ASOIAF came to him through the magic of the multiverse seeping into the minds of writers, but sometimes he bungles the adaptation of what really happened on the page. It makes it easy to fanwank/retcon in my head that everything actually makes sense, it was just a budget/writing/directing mistake.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.
  #26  
Old 05-03-2018, 05:02 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Remember: what we're seeing is a representation/adaptation of the true events of the Great Solar System War as it really happened out there in the multiverse; in reality, I'm sure that there was a whole lot more waiting around and picking noses in the war room than in episode 3 of season 3, but the representation accelerated it for dramatic purposes. They still probably could have done it with cuts and shots of impatient bureaucrats, but oh well.
Just for gits and shiggles, plugging in the 3 km/s speed for modern test rail guns (which is 1/100,000th the speed of light) plugging in the numbers from my earlier post (traveling at 28x the speed of light for 45 seconds) those rounds would take almost exactly 4 years to reach the target.
  #27  
Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Just for gits and shiggles, plugging in the 3 km/s speed for modern test rail guns (which is 1/100,000th the speed of light) plugging in the numbers from my earlier post (traveling at 28x the speed of light for 45 seconds) those rounds would take almost exactly 4 years to reach the target.
I would think that they would have at least a magnitude increase on that, maybe two. It would not be all that surprising if they could reach reasonable fractions of the speed of light.

But, yeah, 28x is a bit much.
  #28  
Old 05-03-2018, 08:32 PM
MeanJoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Except that the hologram speaks for itself. (Well, I don't think it actually speaks, but you can look at it and see that the ships are positioned at different points of Mars' orbital radius for some reason.)
I need to watch the earlier scenes again. I thought the dialog explained the platforms and their locations which had through stealth tech managed to position themselves close to Earth. Again, I may likely not remember that correctly. At the end of the day, it's not even a hill I want to die upon. It's just not that important to me but I get the questions about it.
__________________
Father to sassy girls. Husband to a mad wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  #29  
Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Remember: what we're seeing is a representation/adaptation of the true events of the Great Solar System War as it really happened out there in the multiverse; in reality, I'm sure that there was a whole lot more waiting around and picking noses in the war room than in episode 3 of season 3, but the representation accelerated it for dramatic purposes. They still probably could have done it with cuts and shots of impatient bureaucrats, but oh well.

Yeah, it's just one of those things that we have to accept when it comes to TV vs. books. In the books, it's a major plot point that travel takes time; day, weeks or even months to get where you're going. Meanwhile, communications are at light speed. It's like the late 1800s on Earth, with telegraphs making communication almost immediate, but you were still stuck with sail or steam ships to get anywhere. You could know that there was problem, and send someone out to try to fix it, but in the meantime, events on the ground kept evolving, and by the time you get there, you might be facing a completely different problem.

That works in a book, but in a TV show, I suspect most watchers would get bored and/or confused by the whole issue.
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  #30  
Old 05-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Hypno-Toad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: By the Caloosahatchee
Posts: 11,888
Just got caught up through Ep 4. Holy shit what that kid did to his nurse. Surprised they showed it as graphically as they did.
__________________
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  #31  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:32 AM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,897
The way the protomolecule group intelligence and interactions with humans is giving me a very Ender's Game vibe.
  #32  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Nope, there is no saving it. Here is the hologram. Earth's orbit is the blue circle, Mars' orbit is the red circle, the ship positions are the dotted circles. I just looked at the scene, and all ships were hit at around the same time (no matter how far away they were) around 45 seconds after the railgun launches. So for the furtherest target (which was on the opposite of Mars' orbit from Earth) the railgun rounds were traveling at approximately 28 times the speed of light.
Thanks. Interesting. That map does, in fact, have non-realistic relative sizes and relative distances.
  #33  
Old 05-08-2018, 12:40 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Thanks. Interesting. That map does, in fact, have non-realistic relative sizes and relative distances.
It still put the guns and targets on different sides of the sun. No matter the scale, that's a good distance.

I do forget, I was assuming they don't have FTL communications, but is that something that has come up?
  #34  
Old 05-09-2018, 04:27 AM
ryan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Troy, NY USA
Posts: 718
Yeah, there's no FTL commo. They had to deal with light-speed delay a couple times. When the martians faced off with a UN ship heading for Phoebe and ended up firing on and destroying the moon. UN command had to trust the local commander due to com delay. Also when Avasarala was saying goodbye to her husband and there was a 2 second delay due to the distance between Earth and Luna.
__________________
"Never mistake lack of talent for genius"
  #35  
Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 PM
by-tor's Avatar
by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 996
I really don't get Naomi's reasoning. She had a kid, therefore she gives an uncontrollable, world killing, alien weapon to a militant organization. Maybe I need to watch it again.

I get that she thinks that it will just be used for political leverage but how can she be that naive?

I really don't care what Naomi's reasoning is. She has made the problem worse. She sucks and I hate her.

Last edited by by-tor; 05-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.
  #36  
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
I like the mutiny/counter-mutiny scenes. It was like a black comedy of errors.
  #37  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,167
It's canceled.
  #38  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,788
Well shit. But it does seem they are shopping it around to other outlets:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/11/1...st-season-syfy

The ratings were pretty poor and the sets looked fairly costly. And apparently SyFy didn't have streaming rights for it. I think it's currently streaming on Amazon Prime? So maybe approach them first on it?

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 05-11-2018 at 10:21 AM.
  #39  
Old 05-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12,016
Aaaaaaand... canceled.

ETA: oops, late with the scoop.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 05-12-2018 at 11:50 PM.
  #40  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 AM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 20,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well shit. But it does seem they are shopping it around to other outlets:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/11/1...st-season-syfy

The ratings were pretty poor and the sets looked fairly costly. And apparently SyFy didn't have streaming rights for it. I think it's currently streaming on Amazon Prime? So maybe approach them first on it?
Well that sucks.

I admit it is a bit hard to get into at the beginning but it definitely grows on you. The more realistic physics of space travel also takes a bit of getting used to rather than the Star Wars/Star Trek model but it ultimately adds a lot of tension to space battled (e.g. loose shit in the ship can become lethal during extreme maneuvers).

The protomolecule is an interesting foe too.

It's a really good show with interesting characters and story and I will miss it.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-13-2018 at 12:06 AM.
  #41  
Old 05-13-2018, 05:47 AM
Sam Stone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 28,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Just got caught up through Ep 4. Holy shit what that kid did to his nurse. Surprised they showed it as graphically as they did.
It reminded me of what happened to the ship that descended down to Venus. I am guessing that's significant.
  #42  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
No! BSG is better by a lot. Love the Expanse, but I am in the "BSG is the best show of all time" group.

I even like the final episode of BSG. An almost perfect-in-all-ways show, for me.

Expanse is great, but not up to that level.
I loved BSG, but I love The Expanse, too. Iíve been a sci-fi reader for four decades, and The Expanse is straight-up damned good science fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well shit. But it does seem they are shopping it around to other outlets:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/11/1...st-season-syfy

The ratings were pretty poor and the sets looked fairly costly. And apparently SyFy didn't have streaming rights for it. I think it's currently streaming on Amazon Prime? So maybe approach them first on it?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I think The Expanse would fit perfectly on Netflix - fingers crossed that they will pick it up.
__________________
"Your guilty consciences may make you vote Democratic, but secretly you all yearn for a Republican president to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!"
- S. Bob
  #43  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I loved BSG, but I love The Expanse, too. I’ve been a sci-fi reader for four decades, and The Expanse is straight-up damned good science fiction.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I think The Expanse would fit perfectly on Netflix - fingers crossed that they will pick it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well shit. But it does seem they are shopping it around to other outlets:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/11/1...st-season-syfy

The ratings were pretty poor and the sets looked fairly costly. And apparently SyFy didn't have streaming rights for it. I think it's currently streaming on Amazon Prime? So maybe approach them first on it?
I found an online petition directed at Amazon and signed it.

Not sure if I can post that link, tho, since that would be "advocating".

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-15-2018 at 10:09 PM.
  #44  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 PM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
Well this is disappointing; this and Krypton are the only shows on SyFy I watch (& Krypton doesn't hold a candle to this).

Last edited by alphaboi867; 05-15-2018 at 10:42 PM.
  #45  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:07 AM
Cat Whisperer's Avatar
Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I found an online petition directed at Amazon and signed it.

Not sure if I can post that link, tho, since that would be "advocating".
I have also signed.
  #46  
Old 05-16-2018, 02:26 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I have also signed.
Cool!

FTR, I did ask the mods if I could post the link; I just haven't heard back yet.
  #47  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:21 AM
alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Cool!

FTR, I did ask the mods if I could post the link; I just haven't heard back yet.
Could you please message me the link while you're waiting to hear back? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
  #48  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,600
Done.

ETA: Wow! 81,629 signatures in about 24 hours! There were only like 15,000 when I signed just 13 hours ago!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-16-2018 at 11:14 AM.
  #49  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 AM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I think The Expanse would fit perfectly on Netflix - fingers crossed that they will pick it up.
It appears Netflix has passed on the show (so sayeth a member of the show's crew, referenced here - I mean not necessarily a surprise as US streaming rights held by Amazon are likely far pricier than the international streaming rights held by Netflix, and someone has to buy out the other) so Amazon is our only hope.

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 05-16-2018 at 11:21 AM.
  #50  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,419
Is this worth watching even though it's cancelled? Is the ending too obviously unfinished? I don't like shows that end badly.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017