Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Are you a single, or two-spacer?

If there was a poll function, I'd try it.

I saw an article today (safe for work) which talked about how it became standard back in ye olde typsetting days to have two spaces after the end of a sentence, and how a "new study" says we should go back to it. I didn't realize single-spacing was 'a thing.'

I write a lot for work. I'm a die hard double-spacer. And I use semicolons on long-running inclusive sentences. And I use the Oxford comma.

Am I a holdout?

Tripler
I refuse to type "RTFM" or "ROTFL" in a technical publication.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Single. NO, double! AAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! *gets flung into the chasm*
Old 05-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Two spacer. Apparently I have gone from a holdout to a leader, or I was right the whole time. I'll fit my gloat to the audience.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:33 PM

Two spacer. What do you think I am? Some kind of animal?????
Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Double space all my life.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I learned double spacing and then heard it was all wrong, and decent folk use a single. So I trained myself to do that. If it changes again I may stock buckets for people to soak their heads in.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Two spaces, and fuck all the times I've cut and pasted something, only to lose my two spaces and having to edit them back in. One space does not provide the correct visual cue that the sentence has ended.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I heard of older people doing the two space thing when I was in high school but I never did and neither did any of my classmates. I graduated in 1991. I don't understand the point especially with modern word processors. I personally think it is an archaic custom and I know that it isn't generally taught anymore.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

The new study is full of shit and was done on monospaced fonts which nobody ever said should be single spaced, anyway. (OK, I'm sure somebody said it, but the "rule" was two spaces after a period for monospaced fonts and one for proportionally spaced fonts.)

As for me, I do one space, unless I'm on a typewriter (which is never these days) or typing in a font like Courier or American Typewriter.

ETA: And, yes, I learned two spaces in typing class and all that jazz, and quickly went to one space on computer word processors with proportionally spaced fonts. And, besides, two spaces here get edited out, so what's the point?

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

I learned 2-space in eighth grade, and am too lazy to train myself into a different habit, and also too lazy to care about the science or etiquette or kerning or chestpuffery of it all.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
Two spaces, and fuck all the times I've cut and pasted something, only to lose my two spaces and having to edit them back in. One space does not provide the correct visual cue that the sentence has ended.
You do realize there is only one space in between your two sentences there, right?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Double spaces. I learned touch typing on a manual typewriter in high school, in 1983, and two spaces was the rule that was drummed into our heads. It's been muscle memory for me ever since.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I learned on a manual typewriter, and old habits die hard. I've gotten better about single-spacing, but it's hit or miss. I prefer the double space.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 PM

People do double spaces?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I took typing in Junior High back in 1971, and it was drilled into me then that it was two spaces after a period.

That's never left me.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 PM

Once I realized that literally every book I have ever read uses one space and it is the typographically correct standard, I started using 1 space to make my writing look more professional. It is usually easy to fix in documents, global search and replace for 2 spaces-unless the original author uses spaces instead of tabs. At that point it is usually easier to just throw the draft in the trash and start over.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 PM

iAmaNoSpacer!

I learned double spacing in typing class, and double spaced for some 25 years. But now I single space.

That means I’ll develop carpal tunnel syndrome half as quickly as the 2-spacers! No?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
People do double spaces?
Yes. I assume you are probably on the younger side of the board, like under, I dunno, about 38 or so. Back in the world of typewriters, we were taught to make two spaces after a period, because with typewriters, all the letters took up exactly the same width, so making two spaces after a period helped to break the flow and separate the sentences. With modern word processing and computers, this is unnecessary, as letter widths and spacing are proportional and a space after a period is enough to separate the sentences. And, as I said before, in many cases, double spaces after a period are ignored by software. Like here, for instance. <-Right there I left ten spaces. It renders as one. Or:

Following this is one space. One space.
Following this is two spaces. Two spaces.
Following this is six spaces. Six spaces.
Following this is eighteen spaces. Eighteen spaces.

They all render as one, unless you use the [code][/code] tag. In which case, it goes into a monospaced font, anyway.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-08-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

I've always used a single space. I've never seen the sense of using a second space when one does the job.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 PM

No, it was not standard back in ye old typesetting days to put in two spaces. First of all, what went after a period was a fixed space, intended to be perhaps different than the variable space between the other words but in any case no smaller.

In typing, as opposed to typesetting, people were taught to use two spaces after a period, and a lot of them continue to do it to this day.

Working as an editor, I would see two spaces on the typed page, but it was always one space when typeset. Early photo-typesetters would, if you put in two spaces, often start a line with a space, which is pretty much a no-no. And then they started just automatically deleting one of the spaces, if the typesetter put in two.

I'm now doing work for people who prefer two spaces after a period "for readability" and at the same time doing editing, now onscreen editing, where the first thing I have to do is take out all the extra spaces.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
No, it was not standard back in ye old typesetting days to put in two spaces. First of all, what went after a period was a fixed space, intended to be perhaps different than the variable space between the other words but in any case no smaller.

In typing, as opposed to typesetting, people were taught to use two spaces after a period, and a lot of them continue to do it to this day.

Working as an editor, I would see two spaces on the typed page, but it was always one space when typeset. Early photo-typesetters would, if you put in two spaces, often start a line with a space, which is pretty much a no-no. And then they started just automatically deleting one of the spaces, if the typesetter put in two.

I'm now doing work for people who prefer two spaces after a period "for readability" and at the same time doing editing, now onscreen editing, where the first thing I have to do is take out all the extra spaces.
+1
Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Someone should invent some kind of marking to let us know when a sentenced has ended. So we can know that is has indeed actally ended.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Neither. I use tab.

Last edited by Lancia; 05-08-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Joke destroyed because vBulletin turns it into a single space :(
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Meanwhile, on my handheld device, when you double space after a phrase it just automatically puts in a period and capitalizes the next word, kerned to proper separation from the period. So someone figured how to work with people's quirks.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was taught to double space in "keyboarding" class as a freshman in high school, circa 1982. Much, much later I learned that it's only really appropriate for monospaced typefaces which I never use any more. I try to single space, but it's a very hard habit to break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
You do realize there is only one space in between your two sentences there, right?
The board software removes all spaces except one, unless you use the code tag. I typed ten spaces immediately before this sentence, but you'll never see nine of them.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about parking.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about parking.
I thought it was gonna be about Ghetto BMW CV shaft repair.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Two spaces are wrong UNLESS you are currently using an actual pre-1980s style typewriter, or unless you're using particular software that is set up to malfunction if you single space.

The fact that you may have learned on a typewriter is not relevant, unless you figure I should start my automatic-transmission car locked in "1", and then depress the clutch pedal and move the lever to "2" at the appropriate moment.

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 05-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
The board software removes all spaces except one, unless you use the code tag. I typed ten spaces immediately before this sentence, but you'll never see nine of them.
Yes, I pretty clearly know that, as that was the point of that post and the following one where I show examples of one, two, six, and eighteen spaces, and where I say "They all render as one, unless you use the [code][/code] tag."

(That said, I see your extra spaces when I quote to reply. There was only one space in stretch's post, although that was not the point of my post, but rather that it doesn't matter, as the board ignores multiple spaces.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-08-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I took typing in Junior High back in 1971, and it was drilled into me then that it was two spaces after a period.

That's never left me.
I learned double spacing in junior high in 1976, and I'm managed to unlearn that. I use single space most of the time. I occasionally lapse into double space but for the most part I'm converted.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 PM

It isn't the board software cutting out the spaces, it's your own browser and it's doing it on all webpages you view. It's part of the HTML standard for how a browser should render things when displaying a proportional font. We've had this discussion before.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Learned double space in high school typing, and have never bothered to try to retrain myself - it really doesn't make a difference, does it?
Old 05-08-2018, 09:31 PM

I use two spaces so I don't have to remember not to.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I heard of older people doing the two space thing when I was in high school but I never did and neither did any of my classmates. I graduated in 1991. I don't understand the point especially with modern word processors. I personally think it is an archaic custom and I know that it isn't generally taught anymore.
Huh. I graduated in 1991 and was taught to double space after a period. I guess my school was more right than yours! (Gloat, gloat, gloat)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 PM

Always two spaces.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Two spaces was always intended for one purpose and one purpose only: articles typed on a typewriter and presented doubled-spaced on paper. Nobody else in the world ever used double spaces. That included all books, and newspapers, and magazines, and journals, and catalogs, and brochures, and graffiti. Not even the very old British style of putting a space before punctuation (as in ; or .) committed the lunacy of adding a second space after the period.

As soon as the idiocy of manually producing typed paper copies of anything disappeared, the idiocy of double spaces should have instantly disappeared.

I got my first typewriter over 50 years ago so I spent decades in the paper nightmare. Monospaced typefaces are the devil's diarrhea. Computers are wonderful. I thought so the first time I used one, and I continue to think so today.

There is simply no objective excuse for ever using a monospaced typefont or double spaces in today's world.

No, I don't have a strong opinion on this. Why do you ask?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Nobody ever taught me to type, so nobody ever told me how many spaces to use. So I've just always used one space, because that was what came naturally.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:10 PM

If we were meant to double space, why wouldn't they just make a single space twice as long?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:23 PM

I never took typing lessons, and it never occurred to me to double space after a period.

And FWIW the text in this thread all looks like it's spaced exactly the same, whether you claimed you single or double spaced. Double spacing would just add a step that is noticed by no one, and ain't nobody got time for that. So I'm staying firmly in the single space camp.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 PM

I doubled all through school. My first job out of college was as a reporter. My editor cured me of the double space right quick.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Yes. I assume you are probably on the younger side of the board, like under, I dunno, about 38 or so.
I'm just about to turn 30 and I'm an inveterate two spacer but pretty much everyone my age is a one spacer and they tend to look at me with two heads on the very rare occasions that it comes up. I assume it was the fault of my grade school keyboarding teachers who were taught to type on typewriters and when computers came along, never thought to question what they had been taught as best practices. I do know I merrily wound my way through high school and college typing two spaces and no one ever batted an eye.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I learned double spacing in junior high in 1976, and I'm managed to unlearn that. I use single space most of the time. I occasionally lapse into double space but for the most part I'm converted.
I'm assuming I must have learned double spacing back when I took a high school typing class around that same time. It apparently was a common rule back then.

But I honestly can't remember being taught this. I single space because it never occurred to me not to single space. If I was ever taught to double space, I had long forgotten it years before I ever owned a computer. It was only a couple of years ago that I heard that double spacing was even a thing that people did.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
Neither. I use tab.
I sincerely hope nobody ever has to pour one of your documents into InDesign.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I thought it was gonna be about Ghetto BMW CV shaft repair.
And if it was, what would be your answer?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 AM

Double space, because I learned to type on daisy wheel typewriters and the like. I know many modern text presentation modes will render the spaces however they like (for example HTML just collapses it down to one space), but I still type two out of deeply ingrained habit.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 AM

Some software can be set to disallow repeated spaces. It's a good feature to activate if you tend to double. (I know Word does it, probably lots of others too.)
Old 05-09-2018, 03:03 AM
Charter Member

Double space after a period or a colon. I don't stop to think about it one way or the other.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:17 AM

I still use vi for (almost) all my editing and it "knows" to follow a period with two spaces in response to a 'J(join)' command. Why would I want to fight vi by using single spaces? (Do those who use vi but prefer single spaces edit away all the double spaces vi has inserted?)

It's rather irrelevant anyway: Most of my writing is run through html rendering before seen by others. This post is written with double spaces can anyone see them?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
+1
+2

For all those here who think double spaces are 'correct', please look up 'mono spaced alphabets' to understand why it was standard practice on typewriters, and not standard for typesetting and modern word processing.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. This.

I always use two spaces after before a new sentence and it always looked just right to me but I could never quite explain why. Thanks!